Was Daniel Negreanu a pool player?

I was just watching this youtube video, and Daniel Negreanu mentioned (in an interview, at around the 3:23 minute part of the video) that he met his ex girlfriend at a pool hall, and they were pool hustlers, lol (he says it in a jokingly manor though).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9_MKtElGFXo

I just thought it was interesting that a celebrity star poker player may have once been (or maybe still is) an avid pool player. Who knows though. He may have just played pool for fun (which is probably the case).

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
I was just watching this youtube video, and Daniel Negreanu mentioned (in an interview, at around the 3:23 minute part of the video) that he met his ex girlfriend at a pool hall, and they were pool hustlers, lol (he says it in a jokingly manor though).

I just thought it was interesting that a celebrity star poker player may have once been (or maybe still is) an avid pool player. Who knows though. He may have just played pool for fun (which is probably the case).

Daniel is from Montreal and played snooker when he was a kid. How good he was I don't know. He turned down a real pool game with Joe Rogan though.

Daniel is from Montreal and played snooker when he was a kid. How good he was I don't know. He turned down a real pool game with Joe Rogan though.

That is interesting that Joe Rogan is a pool player. I imagine many great pool players may have switched to poker, if they had enough talent to do good at poker.

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member
Daniel Negreanu is Toronto born and bred.
He used to play pool at a pool hall I used to supply.
I play pretty good gin rummy...but I took a pass on this one....:eek:

Evelyn Ng played pool there also...she was an excellent artist...
...took up poker because of Daniel.

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member
IMG_1836.JPG

-------------

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
Daniel Negreanu is Toronto born and bred.
He used to play pool at a pool hall I used to supply.
I play pretty good gin rummy...but I took a pass on this one....:eek:

Evelyn Ng played pool there also...she was an excellent artist...
...took up poker because of Daniel.

Thanks for the clarification. I knew it was one of those two and guessed wrong. I do know he hooked up with Evelyn for a period of time but they broke up long ago.

Fuji-whopper

Fargo: 457...play some?
Silver Member
That is interesting that Joe Rogan is a pool player. I imagine many great pool players may have switched to poker, if they had enough talent to do good at poker.

I asked Joe to gamble when he was at House of Billiards in about 1997 or so but he turned me down, he did end up buying a cue from me though. Super cool guy and looked like he could run a rack.

Neil

Agent 99

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

He likes to play pool, this is true. I think he got away from it after realizing that the balls were never going to talk back to him.

But he still plays casually, at his place where he has a nice table.

terryhanna

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
John Hennigan was a pool player first and his bio seems to indicate he was good.

https://www.pokernews.com/poker-players/john-hennigan/

Also Nick Shulman played.

Al
Johnny World is not only one of the best poker players on the planet he was a pro speed pool player or close to it at one time and still plays pretty damn sporty, he snapped Dennis Orcullo off at the Derby in the action room couple years ago for about 40k playing back pocket 9 ball the guy is a very smart gambler.

Ken_4fun

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Pool players have talent, poker players do not have talent. :mad:

Occasionally I watch poker on TV. About every other hand the commentators say, "Well its a "coin flip" " and we watch them flip cards on the table. Wouldnt it just be easier if poker players just flipped coins? :rolleyes:

Ken

rossaroni

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member

Occasionally I watch poker on TV. About every other hand the commentators say, "Well its a "coin flip" " and we watch them flip cards on the table. Wouldnt it just be easier if poker players just flipped coins? :rolleyes:

Ken

I am sure many people would disagree with this assessment, including one of the previous posters in this thread....Jay Helfert.

Agent 99

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Ken

You are watching tournament poker ... that is not real poker, they are playing with chips that have no cash value. And, you are also correct when you say that there is much luck involved.

Real poker is played with real cash and the blinds are fixed ... believe me this is a game of skill that requires real talent. Not physical talent, but you have to have it together between your ears.

In a real poker game the more skilled player will absolutely win the majority of the time.

Good rolls.

lorider

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I am.sure some.one will.correct.me.if I am.wrong but I believe he used to be in rodeos.....maybe bronc riding ? If not him I do believe a pro poker player used to rodeo.

wahcheck

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
another poker and pool player

Don't forget Dippy Dave....he plays pool too; if he likes the spot.... but you better make sure the stake is posted......

macneilb

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I think the point Ken was trying to make is that pool requires intelligence in addition to physical performance.

Poker requires intelligence and cunning, but doesn't require physical performance. You don't need to be physically talented or coordinated in any way to be good at poker.

Both require skill to get to the highest level. That goes without saying.

Chicagoplayer

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Yes!

Yes, Daniel Negreanu played.
John Morra has spoke with him.

David "Viffer" Peat, Jean-Robert Bellande, Nick Schulman, Johnny "World" and Chicago's own Chris Gentile are all high-stakes players and all have made appearances at The Derby City Classic.

I'm happy to say
"Raising the Hustler" has filmed them all! :thumbup:

Don't forget, Party Poker.Net owned by Barry Hearn (Matchroom Sport) and his son Eddie Hearn (Boxing Division of Matchroom) also play competitively.

Pool touches everything!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2uxH63RqwSM

It was the UIGEA Laws that set the internet poker/gaming industry on it's ear the year I began filming.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Unlawful_Internet_Gambling_Enforcement_Act_of_2006

Last edited: