Waterfall Bubinga

khoi420

Registered
I'm interested in this type of wood but couldn't dig up any further information about it. Could any cue makers tell me about the rarity and value of this waterfall bubinga? How does it goes in value against Amboyna, or highly figured cocobolo? Kudos!

JoeyInCali

Maker of Joey Bautista Cues
Silver Member
That kind ?

Attachments

• CT1.jpg
    CT1.jpg
    47 KB · Views: 448

Chrippa

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It's really nice, Lambros have some, or st least used some really nice pieces. I would rate a nice piece of Amboyna higher though.

Chrippa

khoi420

Registered
It's really nice, Lambros have some, or st least used some really nice pieces. I would rate a nice piece of Amboyna higher though.

Chrippa

Yes! It's the Lambros I'm looking at. This is the one I'm talking about. The figure looks great for exotic wood, but I want to know is it more of value than highly figured cocobolo or similar highly figured woods?

Khj4Rrk.jpg

ELBeau

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
You're asking a tough question, since many people don't even refer to "figure" as necessarily the same thing.
Cocobolo is rarely ugly. Generally there are changes in color, black streaks, etc. To me, that's color variation rather than "figure." In my book, figure refers to birds-eye, burl, curl, waterfall, quilt, pomelle, bees-wing, etc.
Plain bubinga is just that- plain. There are no color variations and the grain itself is plain. With figure it can be really beautiful. To me, the piece in the Lambros above is exceptional. In the picture it looks more like pomelle or a tight quilt figure.
Plain coco is more expensive than plain bubinga. Figured bubinga can be 75%-100% of the value of some beautiful coco, but coco with beeswing, quilt, birdseye, etc is very rare and will command a premium.

That said, unless the wood is exceptionally rare, the price of the wood itself is generally a pretty small difference in the cost of the cue.

As for amboyna burl, there is a premium for that. Burl's on the whole are more expensive. Bubinga burl or cocobolo burl would command a premium in line with amboyna due to their rarity.

jazznpool

Superior Cues--Unchalked!
Gold Member
Silver Member
Yes! It's the Lambros I'm looking at. This is the one I'm talking about. The figure looks great for exotic wood, but I want to know is it more of value than highly figured cocobolo or similar highly figured woods?

Khj4Rrk.jpg

The Bubinga figure shown in this Lambros cue is exceptionally nice. It is called "pomelle" and is more intense, pricey and difficult to obtain than "waterfall" bubinga (which is very nice anyway). The scale of the figure of waterfall is larger and less intense than pomelle. Lesser than waterfall is often called "ropey" and will not show as nicely in a cue. The names for wood figure are often used loosely (and subjectively). Try shopping for "master grade" or "exhibiton grade" curly koa.:grin-square:

Last edited:

JoeyInCali

Maker of Joey Bautista Cues
Silver Member
attachment.php

Pommelle Bubinga indeed as jazznpool mentioned.
Not as hard to find as intense striped Koa.