Wax off Wax on, what wax do you use?

Tramp Steamer

One Pocket enthusiast.
Silver Member
I don't use any at all. I put my shaft on a lathe, clean it, then turn at high speed using a 3500 grit sand paper (very lightly sand, not really removing anything) and after that I buff it with a piece of leather. After that, it's as slick as you could want.

I used to do the same thing, but instead of leather I simply used a paper towel. The reason, in my view, was you could feel the heat build-up through the paper towel. I always though it was a little safer. :smile:

ArizonaPete

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I use Butchers Bowling Alley Wax on both the cue shaft and the cue butt. I've tried several car waxes but Butchers seems to do the best job of cleaning and making the shaft glide effortlessly. On a new shaft I'll "sand" the shaft with various grades of microgrit film and then run a dry strip of Magic Eraser over it. I'll then give the shaft 2 or 3 coats of the wax rubbing out well between coats. I use a shaft spinner to apply and buff the wax but you don't really need one - but it makes the job so much easier. I carry a small strip of Magic Eraser in my cue case and give my cue a quick clean after each pool session. I bought a can of Butchers on E-bay about 5 years ago and have barely put a dent in it.

Harold Smith

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
You may very well be right Tramp, I do like to use heavy brown paper bags, but so hard to find. I have a very thin piece of leather that got at a upholstery shop and carry that with me.--Smitty

mortuarymike-nv

mortuarymike-nv
Silver Member
wax

I used to do the same thing, but instead of leather I simply used a paper towel. The reason, in my view, was you could feel the heat build-up through the paper towel. I always though it was a little safer. :smile:

I understand. at your age a slick shaft might give you a heart attack.:thud:

So far no one else has tried non petro based wax ? :scratchhead:

You guys are from the stone age.............................:help:

I have one sample I am going to send out Monday, no other brave souls out there.:rolleyes:

I find this thread way to serious. we need wild women a bar and a pool table.:dance:

MMike

HawaiianEye

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I understand. at your age a slick shaft might give you a heart attack.:thud:

So far no one else has tried non petro based wax ? :scratchhead:

You guys are from the stone age.............................:help:

I have one sample I am going to send out Monday, no other brave souls out there.:rolleyes:

I find this thread way to serious. we need wild women a bar and a pool table.:dance:

MMike

I'll try it! How do I get a sample?

Tony_in_MD

You want some of this?
Silver Member
I guess I am one of the few here who does not use wax either. Just a damp paper towel, if the shaft really needs cleaned a bit during play then burnish it with a dry paper towel.

Charlie Edwards

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I haven't used wax on my shafts for many years because after the initial slickness wears off the wood starts to feel a little sticky. But I've often wondered how pure bees wax would work.

3andstop

Focus
Silver Member
I use 800 or 1200 wet / dry sandpaper. I sand lower nearer the joint and on the last few strokes, all the way up to the tip. I've tried wax but if my hand sweats a little, wax plays hell with it. Can't stand the glove, are you guys saying there is a type wax that doesn't make the cue drag when you sweat? I've never found any.

Pre-Flag Master

Cue Ball Man
Silver Member
I stopped using wax about two years ago. It seemed like it would attract grime and get sticky pretty quickly. Now it's just the sealer for me. I burnish my shaft well every now and then and that seems to be all I need. My shaft feels nice and smooth for a long time between burnishings. I notice I burnish it a little more often in the (hot, humid) summer months.

Fatz

mortuarymike-nv

mortuarymike-nv
Silver Member
I stopped using wax about two years ago. It seemed like it would attract grime and get sticky pretty quickly. Now it's just the sealer for me. I burnish my shaft well every now and then and that seems to be all I need. My shaft feels nice and smooth for a long time between burnishings. I notice I burnish it a little more often in the (hot, humid) summer months.

Fatz

You might want to give this wax a try . I think it might be a improvement over the petro based waxes.

Everyone who asked for a sample they have been mailed.................
Sorry that's my good deed for the decade.
I just wanted to know if anyone had tried a polymer wax. and wondered if they like it.
For the players that like least amount friction and tend to sand there shafts from time to time to keep them smooth, I suggest sealing and wax.
http://www.superiorcarcare.net/meguiars-ultimate-paste-wax.htm

MMike

twal

"W"
Silver Member

Sloppy Pockets

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I use pure carnuba wax, same stuff I use on my turned bowls. Rub it on a piece of brown paper, then burnish the shaft with the waxed paper. It takes a while to get it to transfer to the paper because it's so hard, and you really have to rub the shaft hard to get it warm enough to stick to the wood.

http://www.woodcraft.com/product/0/2476/beall-carnauba-wax-512-x-2-x-58.aspx

You'll never get any kind of buildup with this method, but the shaft gets slick and stays slick for a long time, repelling water nicely. Most experienced wood turners know that no paste formulation makes as durable or smooth a coating as pure carnuba put on the wood with friction. It can endure a lot of handling without rubbing off because it's practically as hard as glass, but I carry the paper in my case and burnish the shaft every time I play.

My shaft looks practically new after a year, in spite of at least a few hours at the table every day. If I get any chalk at all sticking to the shaft (and not much will stick to pure carnuba), the Magic eraser gets it off in a flash and I'm back to just burnishing with the paper.

Edited to add:

These bars are big enough that you can cut them into several pieces and give them to your buddies for a buck and get yours free. A 1" piece of this stuff will last for years of daily burnishing. However, the paper bag (full of groceries) will cost you $100... and rising.

Attachments

• 141071.jpg
    141071.jpg
    10.5 KB · Views: 536
Last edited:

mortuarymike-nv

mortuarymike-nv
Silver Member
Mike, I went out and bought some of this.
Put it on a junk shaft just to see.
So far feels very good.
Better than the "cue" wax that we all see sold.

The only question is how will it hold up?
I guess time will tell.

Thanks for the recommendation.
Has anyone else had the same results?

BTW I looked for butchers wax and only could find that at amazon.

I think you might like the can of wax you just bought better then the butcher wax.
MMike

Sloppy Pockets

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Sloppy Pockets,

now that you put up a link to WoodCraft, I'll have to add my bit here. Although I don't consider myself a woodworker at all, I have been refinishing high quality vintage American craft shop and high-end vintage production furniture for a hobby for most of my adult life. I used to restore vintage stereo components, and still restore and resell classic Singer Sewing machines as a money making hobby. Over the last 25 years I have tried most every polish I could ever find and lots of waxes for my hobbies. Polishes are not the same thing as waxes--I just mention that because I'm always amazed at how many people use the terms interchangeably.

Woodcraft sells a wax called Crystal Clear Paste Wax for vintage and antique furniture restoration. Technically, it is a superior quality Bowling Alley wax, but it is marketed for furniture people like me and the wood turning market. Looks totally generic, but it'll beat any other Bowling Alley Wax on the market--costs a little bit more but how much of this stuff can you possibly use in your spare time anyway?

WoodCraft for those of you not familiar with it is a very high end woodworker store (professional and hobbyist) and does not sell cheap anything--if you like pretty raw wood, you need to find the closest one in your area and visit one of their stores--or a Rockwell store or similar store to either of those.

Here is the Woodcrafter's link to Crystal Clear:

http://www.woodcraft.com/search2/search.aspx?query=crystal clear wax

I used to work for Woodcraft, and I have to say that if it wasn't for the terrible management at the franchise I worked at (first Woodcraft franchise ever to go belly up), I'd still be there. The pay sucked, but I made plenty of dough on the side at the time with my repair business. Most of us were older retired or semi-retired guys like me, who looked at the job as a way to hang out with fellow woodworkers and get some nice wood and tools.

As employees, we got deep discounts on lots of stuff directly from the manufacturers. In many cases (like Jet tools), we got stuff directly from the manufacturer at 15% cheaper than the distributors themselves got it for (which frosted the balls of the owners of our store, lol), just so we'd tell the customers about the product from a first-hand experience perspective. I usually ended up spending all of my pay and then some, but I ended up with the kick-ass shop I always wanted when I was younger.:smile:

I'll have to give that wax a try. I do know that if a wax is very hard, it is likely to be a pure carnuba formulation. Many paste waxes with the name "carnuba" on the label have other softer waxes added. Any other waxes only add to the sticky feeling on the wood.

Stick carnuba is very hard to apply because it has such a high melting point. I'd be worried about using a traditional friction application on the lathe with a cue shaft because the high temps might warp the shaft, that's why I've been doing it my way. But if there is a paste formula out there that can get a good coat of pure carnuba on the surface (and you really don't want or need that much) without all the elbow grease, I think that would win me over. But I'll probably still carry the brown paper with the wax on it in my cue case as it is free and don't eat much.