What about Meucci?

DarkPoseidon6

Registered
Well, even though I know this is another topic that has been beaten to death on here, I'd like some insight.

Oh, and just to clarify, I AM new here and not a troll or someone with another ID. I saw that a couple people were "suspicious" on another thread, but no need to feel that way. I used to check out this site years ago looking for event info and read up on equipment but I just got back into the game and felt it was time to join here. So hello to all the posters on here :smile:

Speaking of equipment, I realize that there is (and always has been) mixed opinions on Meucci. I inherited one and I think it's at least as old as the late 90s and yes, it is warped, but I got most of it out, thankfully. It actually plays beautifully.

So to make this short, I've been thinking about picking up a new Meucci but wanted to know if anyone on here has experience with the newer ones that have the pro shaft. Are there still quality control issues and problems with warpage even in the newer line of Meucci cues?

Ken_4fun

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Well, even though I know this is another topic that has been beaten to death on here, I'd like some insight.

Oh, and just to clarify, I AM new here and not a troll or someone with another ID. I saw that a couple people were "suspicious" on another thread, but no need to feel that way. I used to check out this site years ago looking for event info and read up on equipment but I just got back into the game and felt it was time to join here. So hello to all the posters on here :smile:

Speaking of equipment, I realize that there is (and always has been) mixed opinions on Meucci. I inherited one and I think it's at least as old as the late 90s and yes, it is warped, but I got most of it out, thankfully. It actually plays beautifully.

So to make this short, I've been thinking about picking up a new Meucci but wanted to know if anyone on here has experience with the newer ones that have the pro shaft. Are there still quality control issues and problems with warpage even in the newer line of Meucci cues?

Why?:confused:

I just don't get it. You can get an awesome used cue that is like new for less money and a hell of better cue.

I just hate to see people pi$$ money away on Meucci cues.

Sorry for rant, but damn. :mad:

Ken

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Pro shafts do play very good. If you gotta have one get a simple one. Their points are usually ok just stay away from inlays. Buy a Mezz instead. LIGHT yrs better cues.

Last edited:

jackpot

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I've heard it a lot

I've always thought they played great. Years ago a lot of good players used them. I would buy them 6 at a time find one or 2 and sell the others. No, every good player thay played with one did not get paid tons of 💰, get a trunk full of cues free and a canned ham every holiday to use them, that's all bs. It is true that they didn't hold up very well, but they were cheap and played good so if something happen big deal, get another. I didn't then or still don't want an heirloom, how it plays is important, my cash is on the line.
Jack

Ken_4fun

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
…….I didn't then or still don't want an heirloom, how it plays is important, my cash is on the line.
Jack

Jack -

That is the issue. Assume you pay $500 for a Meucci, when you sell it or it warps you lose.

Get a good used custom for $1000 or less. It will play better, and pretty much keep its value.

If you are really cheap, buy a Southwest. Use it for a few years, get it refinished and sell it for a profit. The last Southwest I sold I bought used for $1200 and sold it later for $4800. :rolleyes:

Ken

gregnice37

Bar Banger, Cue Collector
Silver Member
Buy a BMC and a pro shaft and you won't be disappointed. The pro shaft is one of the best of shafts out there besides the carbon fiber shafts. A buddy of mine has over 150 Meucci's and non have issues like I see many complain about.

Cuebuddy

Mini cues
Silver Member
I have a couple Meuccis in my collection, a 95-15 and a black band sneaky Pete. I can't answer your question on the newer ones but mine have had zero issues with inlays popping or warping. They play fine. I will say I have seen some that are train wrecks but I have seen many more that are in top form. The 95-15 IMHO is one of the nicer looking "simple" cues that Meucci built.

RickLafayette

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Buy a BMC and a pro shaft and you won't be disappointed. The pro shaft is one of the best of shafts out there besides the carbon fiber shafts. A buddy of mine has over 150 Meucci's and non have issues like I see many complain about.

This is also my experience. Once I was a naysayer because I listened to all the parroted opinions. I STILL have not met anyone who has had their inlays popped out. Any wood shaft can warp if you don't take care of it. Go ahead and buy the Meucci and you won't be sorry. I have owned a Tim Scruggs, a Palmer and a Diveney, all nice custom cues. But when I started shooting low deflection shafts I didn't see the need for the customs and sold most of them. If you want to spend the money the "BMC" Meuccis are the top of the Meucci line.

Good luck.

EddieBme

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

I have a 2 point Meucci that's about 3 years old, and no problems so far.

deanoc

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have been beat by a lot of players using Meucci

Cliff joiner beat me with 4 hit and the pick
he said he liked them because he found it easy to move Judy around easily

I personally can not make a ball with one
Jack potter is right,he played very good with the cues

I still hate them,I found them to warp and the company did not stand behind them
I bought 17 new at one time direct from the company,everyone was warped. They
would not take them back

If I were to buy one it would be the sneaky Pete,plays best cost less

TATE

AzB Gold Mensch
Silver Member
You earn a good reputation, or a bad one. Meucci's were so bad for so long, it is difficult for a company to overcome those issues. It's well documented and I've personally expereinced it. Warping, yellowing, brittle plastics, poor customer service, very bad quality control. They earned it.

Last edited:

lfigueroa

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
But, but... you have to try different cues -- and some will be good, and some bad -- and every once in awhile, one will be great.

It's part of the process of becoming a pool player.

I've liked a Meucci, a Schon, a Scruggs, and some others. I played some of the greatest 8ball of my life with an el cheapo Viking that was like a $50 tournament giveaway. So experiment because it's kinda like dating. You'll hate some, tolerate others, but if you're lucky, you'll eventually fall in love.

Lou Figueroa

Mike81

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Every time I read these Meucci threads it reminds me of a guy who posted on here two years or more ago. His wife bought him an expensive Meucci as a present and he sent it back to Meucci for some reason, maybe a repair or shaft size change ,, I can’t remember which exactly. He never got his cue back, every excuse you could think of as a reason why. I wonder if he ever got it? I think It was titled Meucci stole my cue. Felt bad for the dude! It was a terrible story. I think he had a 69 Camaro as his avatar. I hope he finally got it

Cornerman

Cue Author...Sometimes
Gold Member
Silver Member
This is also my experience. Once I was a naysayer because I listened to all the parroted opinions. I STILL have not met anyone who has had their inlays popped out. Any wood shaft can warp if you don't take care of it. Go ahead and buy the Meucci and you won't be sorry. I have owned a Tim Scruggs, a Palmer and a Diveney, all nice custom cues. But when I started shooting low deflection shafts I didn't see the need for the customs and sold most of them. If you want to spend the money the "BMC" Meuccis are the top of the Meucci line.

Good luck.

I think we have a different definition of popping points. Every Meucci I’ve owned has points that have popped except for the one I bought that was broken and I had refinished.

Bavafongoul

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Back in the 70’s & 80’s, Meucci had a fine reputation for making a great pool cue.
I lost track of how the brand was faring after my interest switched to custom cues.

lorider

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Over the years i have purchased 4 meuccis...starting about 15 years ago.......all used and all were gamblers. None have ever had finish issues such as inlays popping etc and only one had a warped shaft which i straightened myself and was still straight a few years later when i traded it for a predator.

I never knew the years the cues were made and never asked the owners i purchased them from which leads me to ask this question. Did meucci change the length of thier pins at one time ?

The reason i ask is that a few weeks ago i overheard 2 people talking and one was interested in trying the others meucci carbon pro on their own butt. This person tried to fit the others carbon pro on their butt but the pin was too long for the carbon pro.

She wanted to check the carbon shaft out before deciding to buy one but wanted to use her own butt. I asked if she wanted to try my shaft and it fit perfectly . she said she bought her cue new in 93 and it looks perfect. I asked if she ever had it refinished and she said no. Strange that this other carbon pro took a shorter pin than mine or this girls cues.The pin size was correct but would not seat all the way downnon the butt.. I sent a picture of my cue to meucci in order to have matching ringwork on my carbon pro and i guess they could tell by the picture wh a t yewr my cue was in order to fit my pin.

cuesblues

cue accumulator
Silver Member
My experience with Meucci:

The old Meucci originals play pretty good.
The late 90's Meucci cues I've picked up in trades were actually pretty good pool cues,
but the two new fancy ones I bought in 2003 were awful.
Brand new, all four black dot shafts were warped, and Meucci replaced everything, in
fact they let me change and upgrade one of the cues to a different model and didn't charge me.
The new black dot shafts played like crap and I later found out the ferrules were loose.
Since then I've heard several customer service nightmares with Meucci, but the time I
called them myself they were terrific....2003

skogstokig

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
My experience with Meucci:

The old Meucci originals play pretty good.
The late 90's Meucci cues I've picked up in trades were actually pretty good pool cues,
but the two new fancy ones I bought in 2003 were awful.
Brand new, all four black dot shafts were warped, and Meucci replaced everything, in
fact they let me change and upgrade one of the cues to a different model and didn't charge me.
The new black dot shafts played like crap and I later found out the ferrules were loose.
Since then I've heard several customer service nightmares with Meucci, but the time I
called them myself they were terrific....2003

the black dot shaft was a bad idea from start to finish imo. but the pro shaft i have heard only positive things about

maybe part of the bad rep is due to how very common meuccis were and still are? if you sell that many cues the number of unsatisfied customers will be exponentially higher, and soon everybody knows someone who had a bad meucci experience.. just a thought. not a meucci fan myself but i know 20 or more very happy meucci users

Sunchaser

Belgian Malinois
Silver Member
Road Agent

The night time road agent is and was just an epic cue. Come on, i mean, really...it was unique and implied greatness. Only the cool kids had them. I remember 30 years ago an Omaha player named Chris Kronin used one to pretty much decimate other locals and road players with that Moochie. Baseball hat cocked caticornered like a tired farmer with a touch of inbreeding. Too tight t-shirt, red hair, and old tennis shoes...he coulda sneaked up on anybody hanging onto that multicolored shiny Meucci. Anybody. Wielding that road agent...it was a sight to behold. I imagine how this very image must still haunt many of his victims. Id take a Road Agent anyday. The other cool part about this is, if you have one still, this story alone probably adds about 300 to its value. Your welcome. Matt D.

Last edited: