WHAT BALLS WOULD YOU BUY ?

phreaticus

I received the Dynasphere Bronze Yesterday and played with them today. WHAT a great set of balls! In my opinion, better than the Centenials and Duramith Pros. What a buy for $100 and free shipping. I'm wondering if someone developed a new process in designing these balls ???
Yeah, I think everyone that has tried them has the same reaction. Top notch specs/performance/appearance at < 1/3 of the big name $$ - is simply a no brainer. Long term durability in theory remains TBD but for the vast majority of us using them in a home table env, its a non issue. I have to say, they seem to even resist scuffs/dirt better than my pricey Aramith Tournaments also. I've been playing with a set of Bronze for about 2 mo now and literally have done nothing but wipe them off with a towel and they stay perfect.

mrpiper

Registered
How do you know when it is time to buy new balls? I have a cleaner and when they get dirty they clean up real nice. No chips. I think they are super aramith. I would think they last forever unless they chip off somehow.
I had a set of centennials for over 20 years. They still looked perfect and played great. I sold them for a very fair price, as they still looked new. The ONLY reason I sold them was that I bought a set of Arcos II and noticed that after MANY hours of play, there was not a single scuff or contact mark. They still looked perfect and didn't really even need to go in the ball cleaner! I had not realized that the Centennials were getting contact marks and needing more regular cleaning.

I don't honestly know if my Centennials ALWAYS needed more cleaning than any of the newer sets or if that is how they have always been and I just didn't notice it, but I did know they were the ONLY set I ever had that got little tiny white contact marks that became noticeable after a few hours of play. They came off VERY EASILY with a simple wipe with Aramith cleaner, but the new ball sets don't EVER get these marks.

FINAL NOTE: I love Centennials so I bought a brand new set. Assuming that over the last 20+ years the technology has much improved, and that Centennails are AT LEAST equal to Super Aramith Pro balls, I figured they should outlive me. The new ones play as well and stay as clean as ALL of my other new sets. I couldn't be more pleased.

mrpiper

Registered
Same size then

Take any 2 balls from a well used set put them on the edges, put the 1 on the center so all 3 balls are lined up. Set the rack or a straight edge on the 3 balls lined up and the 1 will not be touching the straight edge. You can roll it out of the line as it’s never touching the straight edge.

The reason is as the head ball it does wear down faster than the other balls.

On new sets this trick will not work. It’s a way to gauge how worn balls are.

Just something I learned along the way. It’s a real thing, not a joke.

Best
Fatboy
This is why I ALWAYS rotate the head ball when playing alone at home. I start with the 1 and rotate to the 2,3,4... for each successive rack. The only time I use the 1 exclusively is when I play 9 ball with a friend. I don't know because I have never checked on this, but I suspect all of my sets have about the exact same wear across all balls.

Cue Alchemist

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I like the dynasphere brand as well. The bronze classic colors. Great price!!!
The only ones I've used was the Platinum 572 with the color on 7 and 6 the wrong way round. At least the orange is still the 5.

rexus31

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
These arrived today; the Dynaspheres Rhodium. I haven't knocked them around yet but I expect them to play as well as the Dynasphere's Bronze set I have.

52291102164_327458d7b2_b.jpg

Bobkitty

I said: "Here kitty, kitty". Got this frown.
Gold Member
Silver Member
These arrived today; the Dynaspheres Rhodium. I haven't knocked them around yet but I expect them to play as well as the Dynasphere's Bronze set I have.
I couldn't find the "Rhodium" set. Are they more expensive than the Bronze?

rexus31

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I couldn't find the "Rhodium" set. Are they more expensive than the Bronze?
Yes. They are technically only available in the Asian market but there are a few online sellers selling worldwide. I bought mine off eBay.

softshot

Simplify
Silver Member
I have the classic colored super pros with the measles cue ball been running them hard for 15 years.. they are still in pristine condition..

Bobkitty

I said: "Here kitty, kitty". Got this frown.
Gold Member
Silver Member
Yes. They are technically only available in the Asian market but there are a few online sellers selling worldwide. I bought mine off eBay.
Why did you buy those? What have you heard? Not to butt in on your secrets but I have to know.

Nyquil

I received the Dynasphere Bronze Yesterday and played with them today. WHAT a great set of balls! In my opinion, better than the Centenials and Duramith Pros. What a buy for $100 and free shipping. I'm wondering if someone developed a new process in designing these balls ??? AND, I'm wondering how the bronze balls differ from their most expensive balls like the Gold or Platinum. Hope someone knows
I looked into this when I bought my bronze set. You can check out the specs on their website. What I like is the specs they have on the "lower level" sets are the same as the top end sets. Difference is color and markings. That's where the extra expense comes in.

Nyquil

That grey color looks better than the stock photo. Maybe it's time to send it on another set, lol.

RacerX750

Registered
Gold Crown with new rails by Mark Gregory .Have old centenials should i change?
In my experience all balls wear which affects how they play. You can't polish them back to new - they'll have some amount of abrasions from normal use. Measure the diameters with a micrometer and you'll see the cue and one balls especially are slightly smaller. I'd get new ones of your choice.

phreaticus

In my experience all balls wear which affects how they play. You can't polish them back to new - they'll have some amount of abrasions from normal use. Measure the diameters with a micrometer and you'll see the cue and one balls especially are slightly smaller. I'd get new ones of your choice.
Yeah... actually this is usually discernable when simply racking the balls. As you push the balls forward balls into the rack, the balls that spin more freely are the smaller ones and cause the troubles for getting a tight rack. Invariably, it's the 1, 8, & 9 that are the worst. Aside from the more worn balls making it tough to get pristine tight racks, I can't really tell any difference from balls that are worn more than others.

Straightpool_99

I see dead balls
Silver Member

Knockoff Centennials with a GREY 6/14 ball....Bleeurgh! Do whatever you want, but I'm done buying Chinese crap! Edit; looks like these are Taiwanese. They're still knockoffs, so my opinion stands. No knockoffs for me, thanks, even if they're not made in China.

Last edited:

rexus31

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Knockoff Centennials with a GREY 6/14 ball....Bleeurgh! Do whatever you want, but I'm done buying Chinese crap! Edit; looks like these are Taiwanese. They're still knockoffs, so my opinion stands. No knockoffs for me, thanks, even if they're not made in China.
Different design than Centrnnisls but thanks for your input. Check out my Pool Ball Weight thread. It seems the “Chinese crap” has tighter weight tolerances than Centennials. They are not intended to be or are they “knockoffs”.