What center cueball has done for "The Blade"Stevie Moore

scttybee

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
can this man patrick johnson play?i dont know of him and dont intend on bashing him,but im curious.
we can see who stevie and cj are by going on youtube or google so an uneducated opinion could be theyre pros-we should give them the time of day.
i googled patrick johnson billiards and got nothing about titles just forum stuff,so someone please tell us if this man can play

Reactions: KRJ

vapoolplayer

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
No.

The how and the why are two different things.

That is your personal opinion. Everyone learns differently. For some, learning the why helps learn the how. For others they only need to know something works and don't care why.

Don't make blanket statements. They aren't wise.

While I don't side with PJ or CJ, or any other experts/pros.....it is very common in the pool world for very good teachers to not actually understand why something happens. They know it happens and they are very good at teaching others how to reproduce the desired effect. Actually, this is very common in almost any sport/game that relies heavily on physics. (yes I know physics governs everything, but there a many things that are much easier to physically explain than pool)

That being said, pool players aren't physicists(most of them anyway) and people who's minds work in overly analytical(mine does) ways need to realize this and not just jump right into "you said this and that's wrong....so your whole system must be BS."

Also, I don't think there is a need to bash anyone offering their teaching services for a fair fee. Obviously they have to make a living just like everyone else and of course you're going to see them post tidbits of their systems or training to get people to take an interest in their services. Its called marketing and its part of life.

Just because someone can make a shot doesn't mean they actually know "how" they made it on a technical or scientific level.

Last edited:

JoeyA

Efren's Mini-Tourn BACKER
Silver Member
Make something positive out of it.

If you just want to be given a fish that may be true. If you want to learn to fish, it certainly isn't.

pj
chgo

Then maybe you should sit at the feet of the experts of this sport and learn what it is and how they do it so well and differently and then explain their success in your own terms.

Who knows, even you might develop a fan base if you learned how their perceived techniques actually worked.

It isn't really necessary to run behind them correcting their every word or sentence. If you want to do that, ask them via PM if it would be all right for you to collaborate behind the scenes and be their PatChecker. Build some goodwill while you are dissiminating your perspectives. There's no need for the spite. The forum has moved on.

vapoolplayer

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
How would that help those who are reading the misstatements here and now?

pj
chgo

I enjoy reading some of your analysis PJ, but at some point you should probably accept people don't like unsolicited advice.

I used to have the same habit of always having to correct misstatements which in my opinion was "helping the uneducated." Fortunately I learned if they really wanted the information they would have already researched themselves just as you did.

Don't try to save people, just let them be.

(hmmm, the irony, this entire post was itself unsolicited advice)

Patrick Johnson

Fish of the Day
Silver Member
I enjoy reading some of your analysis PJ, but at some point you should probably accept people don't like unsolicited advice.
I think you mistake the vocal few complaining here for the reading majority. Those who read here but don't post (I don't blame them) outnumber those who do post here by several magnitudes. And of those who do post here, those who post in these infomercial threads and complain about fact-correcting are a small fraction - I could probably name all of them from memory (this isn't our first rodeo).

pj
chgo

SouthernDraw

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Free Lessons?

Then maybe you should sit at the feet of the experts of this sport and learn what it is and how they do it so well and differently and then explain their success in your own terms.

Who knows, even you might develop a fan base if you learned how their perceived techniques actually worked.

It isn't really necessary to run behind them correcting their every word or sentence. If you want to do that, ask them via PM if it would be all right for you to collaborate behind the scenes and be their PatChecker. Build some goodwill while you are dissiminating your perspectives. There's no need for the spite. The forum has moved on.

Do we have any expert that would give PJ a free lesson as an experiment if he was willing to approach it with an open mind. He would find it useful or not useful. It seems that if he tried it and it didn't work, he could report why he didn't like it or visa versa. But most importantly it could bring the sides together so that everyone starts to view each other as people and not as usernames or avatars. There has to be a more logical way of breeding a culture of civility than just banning people. But that all starts with us... the users and keeping the moderator out of it.

vapoolplayer

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I think you mistake the vocal few complaining here for the reading majority. Those who read here but don't post (I don't blame them) outnumber those who do post here by several magnitudes. And of those who do post here, those who post in these infomercial threads and complain about fact-correcting are a small fraction - I could probably name all of them from memory (this isn't our first rodeo).

pj
chgo

I agree there are more readers than posters. This is true on any forum. But those readers still have the same resources you have to research the validity of the claims posted here. If they need you, me, or anyone else to do that work for them, they likely aren't the type of person who will care.

The readers who agree with you are most likely ones that already know the misstatement you are pointing out is a misstatement. Of course you're going to pick up a few people here and there that your posts make the light bulb click on for, but the majority are already on one side or another of that line.

vapoolplayer

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Do we have any expert that would give PJ a free lesson as an experiment if he was willing to approach it with an open mind. He would find it useful or not useful. It seems that if he tried it and it didn't work, he could report why he didn't like it or visa versa. But most importantly it could bring the sides together so that everyone starts to view each other as people and not as usernames or avatars. There has to be a more logical way of breeding a culture of civility than just banning people. But that all starts with us... the users and keeping the moderator out of it.

To be fair, I don't think PJ approaches these claims with an closed mind. In fact I think he actually admits these things work. (you may have to decipher his admission from time to time) But he points out the errors in the explanation behind the claims.

The Saw

Juicy Pop in 2016!
Silver Member
Is there a reasoning for your banter? We're you bullied or just ignored a lot?
Thanks for the bump! :)

Yeah Stevie.... Years ago, in a galaxy far, far away (in RSB, an internet pool newsgroup before AZ came along) he labeled Hal Houle a heretic for preaching this mystical and magical system called CTE... And he's had an internet woody on ever since trying to discredit anyone that teaches or promotes any aiming system that is based off of Hal's "snake oil" system that has yet to be proven by modern math and science.

Well, he really hates those of us that have learned the Gospel of Stan "THE MAN" Shuffet.... "THE MAN" brought Pro One to the people and made CTE practical and make sense. PJ is somewhat of an aiming atheist and simply refuses to believe....

Patrick Johnson

Fish of the Day
Silver Member
Do we have any expert that would give PJ a free lesson as an experiment if he was willing to approach it with an open mind.
I understand the techniques. The misstatements I correct are simple factual matters that don't address whether the techniques work, but how they do.

It's remarkable that those who claim to be the most eager to learn these techniques aren't interested in taking a close look at the claims made for them. It's almost like they don't want their faith contradicted.

pj
chgo

vapoolplayer

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Well, he really hates those of us that have learned the Gospel of Stan "THE MAN" Shuffet.... "THE MAN" brought Pro One to the people and made CTE practical and make sense. PJ is somewhat of an aiming atheist and simply refuses to believe....

I've been out of the loop several years. I spoke to Hal via phone numerous occasions probably 5-6 years ago. Where do I find info on shuffets take on hal's stuff?

Also, is Hal still around or no longer with us?

Thanks

The Saw

Juicy Pop in 2016!
Silver Member
I've been out of the loop several years. I spoke to Hal via phone numerous occasions probably 5-6 years ago. Where do I find info on shuffets take on hal's stuff?

Also, is Hal still around or no longer with us?

Thanks

http://justcueit.com/ Is Stan "THE MAN"s website... His Pro One system will make complete sense if you have spoken to Hal several times....

Last I heard, Hal's health has declined....