What Do You Look For in a Pool Instructor

gregcantrall

Center Ball
Silver Member
Drunk Act Kelly used to come to the South Hill Saloon on B tournament night. Would cruise in late .....around finals. And offer a one game for all the money. Staggering, of course.

jayman

Hi Mom!
Gold Member
Silver Member
And yet AGAIN I'm offering you a free lesson, after which you can post a 500-word article at AZ telling the world I'm a fraud . . . or get what you're likely missing from your own game, skill and consistency.

Sparkle, I have had a lot of students who have paid pros $250 an hour monthly for YEARS and learned nada, but loved hanging with the pros. Decide whether you like hanging with the trolls or want to LEARN.
It has been my observation that being a very good shooter does not often mean you can teach.
Most of the best players I have been around have no idea of the physics involved in a shot and why it works or doesn't. Or know what being in stroke is about mentally. To them it is just something that happens.
Dr. Dave is the best I know of at the physics and as far as I know does not study Psychology?

Psychology is an equally important part of learning to play, play well and win! I would love for Dr. Dave delve into that. He's smart enough but probably hasn't given a tremendous amount of thought to the human part of doing this stuff? Mostly just focuses on the Physics of what actually happens during a particular shot which is very amazing to say the least!.

It's a rare bird that can take a person who does not play and make a decent player out of them. The people who crave it and play like it's an addiction will probably be well respected shooters in time. Others may need to learn to appreciate that it's about testing out a plan, trying to solve a puzzle, learning to relax under pressure, Trying again and again to do better next time than you did the time before. It is not just hit a ball like this and it will do that. It's a mental and physical challenge. making a ball is just one part of a complex game.

plague

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Let's face it. To a certain degree mechanics don't mean s**t. The way top guys play straight pool they could make 95 percent of the shots standing any way they want and holding the stick any way they want. Mechanics come into play when your 8 feet away and stuck on the rail.

Nobody can teach imagination. They can only facilitate it. You don't know what you don't know. Once you know, it opens up another door. To see someone do something that you've never seen before should turn on a light bulb like a holy s**t moment.

The reason that instructors claim they can turn Cs into Bs and Bs into As in one day is because their flaws are so obvious that any pool room denizen could probably give them some unsolicited advice and help them in 10 minutes.
by doing different games, also practice-games, safety-games etcone learns to find the best shot, the best solution for the specific task
this will transition into a wider range of choices available in a 'normal' game
onlookers would say its imagination, the player will say its recognition

lfigueroa

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
"Cannot possibly" is a very limiting statement you've made.

In a typical one- to two-hour first lesson, my students increase their APA handicaps two points. They consistently tell me weeks after they've been winning all or nearly all their matches and were put up by league bosses two points. I frequently get a call or email a few weeks after even a first intensive lesson.

I've had a C player become a shortstop, his dream, after ten hourlong lessons, a week or two apart each. I've had players fly me in for a weekend to improve in local leagues but then quit their leagues to play in pro-ams, etc.

Because TK is a good friend and other reasons, we are adding a lot of "secret sauce" to this clinic and a player could well/easily go up from C to B or B to A. My speciality isn't "Let me change your grip, stance and stroke, now practice for six months two hours a day to improve," it's far more often "You have a great grip, stance and stroke," let me show you how to do those in a pro manner and you will become much stronger BEFORE THIS LESSON ENDS.

While I've had students tell me I have ideas that seem to come from outer space, I pledge that anyone's pocketing ability and position play will dramatically increase in a single lesson or money is returned. :)

There are some teachers who are very diligent and will not end the lesson until their student is significantly better. Unfortunately, in my (limited) experience most teachers make radical changes to a student's fundamentals than are pleased when they improve after two hours a day practice for six months. :(

I did make a very limiting statement and I stand by it because this was your proffer:

“I will make your game much better in a one-hour lesson. …my claim for the upcoming clinic is you will go up several handicap points/an entire letter ranking in a day, from "C" to "B" and so on:”

So look, before you come with the offer of a free lesson, here’s a counter: take a look at me shooting and tell me what you’d have me change that would make such a dramatic improvement:

It’s an old video and I feel I actually shoot better now but it’ll do for the purposes of this discussion. IOWs I will take my lesson here.

I await your evaluation with bait on my breath.

Lou Figueroa

SpiderWebComm

HelpImBeingOppressed
Silver Member
All I know is that I'm sure glad I'm not a pool instructor posting on a pool forum to pool players. It's like being a leper
that has Covid and a brain of an imbecile with the acceptance and respect shown.
It's bad enough to be ostracized for taking lessons and touting it from a super instructor and player for a way of aiming because the seal of approval hasn't been given by the all-knowing ones of the forum since the inception of this site. The mere mentioning of his name and system are taboo with consequences if done. Now it's an all-out assault on anyone that teaches.
Where in the hell is Elon Musk to straighten things out when you need him?

Cuedup

All I know is that I'm sure glad I'm not a pool instructor posting on a pool forum to pool players. It's like being a leper
that has Covid and a brain of an imbecile with the acceptance and respect shown.
It's bad enough to be ostracized for taking lessons and touting it from a super instructor and player for a way of aiming because the seal of approval hasn't been given by the all-knowing ones of the forum since the inception of this site. The mere mentioning of his name and system are taboo with consequences if done. Now it's an all-out assault on anyone that teaches.
There's a certain type opposed to education and teachers.

You can see it daily in the news.

BilliardsAbout

BondFanEvents.com
Silver Member
I did make a very limiting statement and I stand by it because this was your proffer:

“I will make your game much better in a one-hour lesson. …my claim for the upcoming clinic is you will go up several handicap points/an entire letter ranking in a day, from "C" to "B" and so on:”

So look, before you come with the offer of a free lesson, here’s a counter: take a look at me shooting and tell me what you’d have me change that would make such a dramatic improvement:

It’s an old video and I feel I actually shoot better now but it’ll do for the purposes of this discussion. IOWs I will take my lesson here.

I await your evaluation with bait on my breath.

Lou Figueroa
I skimmed the video and watched you hit about three shots, so I'm sure the adjustments you've already made include things like more immobility during the stroke/not standing up before you've barely followed through and etc. You look like you're rushing to catch the train home.

I don't do free lessons at AZ. I do them offline, where people can interact with me safely, comfortably. However, if you'd like to record a one-hour lesson with me on video--I can teach remotely, you can set up the recording, we can post a link to it here for all to see. I think that would quiet many of the trolls here at AZ. I'm not saying you're a troll, by the way, you are merely skeptical, skepticism is healthy.

But why anyone up to a pro level would refuse a free lesson is beyond me.

PS. Like I said, to go up an entire letter ranking will take your willingness to listen to my coaching and some eight hours of my time. :)

Last edited:

BasementDweller

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

This isn't a fair assessment. It's really only when instructors push a very specific remedy or product that they get any flak. Or now, we have instructors clearly pushing their lessons on here, so they should expect some questions and even skepticism. I think they are handling it just fine too. I mean, if you can't handle some minor pushback on a forum, maybe instructing isn't for you. Or just hangout in your social media echo chamber of choice and you can just delete anyone that questions you.

Clearly, not all instructors are created equal either. I remember in my early days of pool (late 1990's) we had a local room ower who was a BCA Certified instructor who literally couldn't run 5 balls. Anyone that's honest about pool instruction, knows these types are still out there. While I think we've come a long ways since those early days, pool instruction may just now be reaching its adolescence.

BilliardsAbout

BondFanEvents.com
Silver Member
It has been my observation that being a very good shooter does not often mean you can teach.
Most of the best players I have been around have no idea of the physics involved in a shot and why it works or doesn't. Or know what being in stroke is about mentally. To them it is just something that happens.
Dr. Dave is the best I know of at the physics and as far as I know does not study Psychology?

Psychology is an equally important part of learning to play, play well and win! I would love for Dr. Dave delve into that. He's smart enough but probably hasn't given a tremendous amount of thought to the human part of doing this stuff? Mostly just focuses on the Physics of what actually happens during a particular shot which is very amazing to say the least!.

It's a rare bird that can take a person who does not play and make a decent player out of them. The people who crave it and play like it's an addiction will probably be well respected shooters in time. Others may need to learn to appreciate that it's about testing out a plan, trying to solve a puzzle, learning to relax under pressure, Trying again and again to do better next time than you did the time before. It is not just hit a ball like this and it will do that. It's a mental and physical challenge. making a ball is just one part of a complex game.
Thank you sincerely for your thoughtful and insightful comments.

I love studying pedagogy and communications.

"It's a rare bird that can take a person who does not play and make a decent player out of them."

I don't think among pool teachers (not friends helping in league) that is a rare bird. I had a student who then brought his wife to be my student and she literally didn't know whether to use the pretty blue end or the bumper end of the cue. She was also under 5' tall and had athritis issues and small hands. Within the year she was helpful in getting her team to nationals. But good teachers do stuff like this once in a while.

BilliardsAbout

BondFanEvents.com
Silver Member
@BilliardsAbout
I'm curious about your approach to both teaching and playing. Knowing that you've been on here for years, I did a simple YouTube search to see how well you play (not that I think you have to be a world-beater to be a good instructor or anything) and to maybe catch a snipet of you with a student, but I wasn't able to see any video of you.

Is there anything available I can take a peek at? If not, why not? Do you have a FargoRating?
We shot a three-hour DVD of me to accompany my first pool book. It's licensed/copyrighted and cannot be posted. When I was with About.com I actually was disallowed from posting videos me also, long story.

I have written a script for videos/a new YouTube Channel for pool and hope to post it soon.

I'm a 7/9 APA and don't have a FargoRating but would probably be 600? I've not played much in the last decade, meaning I teach or play casually and at the most play a few hours here and there with pals.

So that's playing, if you're curious about my approach to teaching, why don't we spend an hour or two together? I know people think free lessons are trolling for paid lessons, but besides a lovely day job, I have multiple side gigs including leading tours for up to over 50 people overseas and so on... I just LIKE teaching. Maybe if I charged people $1000 for an hour lesson they'd flock to me. People can be strange!

The free lesson is on if you want it!

BasementDweller

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Last thing...

I guess one more thing I would want out of an instructor is proof that their successful students even exist. How can someone be a longtime instructor and not have more reviews accessible than that crappy hole-in-the-wall restaurant down the street does? It's 2023 for Pete's sake and I can't find any info on the old World Wide Web, and I even tried webcrawler and excite.

BilliardsAbout

BondFanEvents.com
Silver Member
Again, if anyone reads this whole post without their eyes glazing over I do have some swampland for sale, very cheap.
Another simple question would be how is it that you just happen to have students with great fundamentals, a great stroke, know how to aim, etc; but yet, haven't reached their potential because of a large tip gap or what?
I only ask because that's totally different from my experience.
Usually the people looking for help are a mess. Their fundamentals are terrible as is their stroke and they basically don't have a clue.
So what is it? Are you just really lucky or what? I'd really like to know.
Waiting with bated breath for your answer.
Your experience of people at AZ seeking free help for all kinds of pool questions, is different than people seeking paid coaching, as I've already said, people with good fundamentals who get frustrated and need simple fixes.

I've given sufficient examples above for the rest.

Speaking of people who evade simple questions, however, why won't you, Sparkle, take my offer of a free lesson?

BasementDweller

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
We shot a three-hour DVD of me to accompany my first pool book. It's licensed/copyrighted and cannot be posted. When I was with About.com I actually was disallowed from posting videos me also, long story.

I have written a script for videos/a new YouTube Channel for pool and hope to post it soon.

I'm a 7/9 APA and don't have a FargoRating but would probably be 600? I've not played much in the last decade, meaning I teach or play casually and at the most play a few hours here and there with pals.

So that's playing, if you're curious about my approach to teaching, why don't we spend an hour or two together? I know people think free lessons are trolling for paid lessons, but besides a lovely day job, I have multiple side gigs including leading tours for up to over 50 people overseas and so on... I just LIKE teaching. Maybe if I charged people $1000 for an hour lesson they'd flock to me. People can be strange!

The free lesson is on if you want it!
Fair enough.

Honestly, you're just an enigma to me as you've been on here forever but yet I've never seen you play or read a firsthand account of your instruction. That's just strange as we are approaching 20 years! I just can't say this about any other instructor mentioned in this conversation. I'm sure I've picked up little things here and there from your contributions on here, so for that I thank you.

Maybe being an enigma isn't all bad.

BilliardsAbout

BondFanEvents.com
Silver Member
Last thing...

I guess one more thing I would want out of an instructor is proof that their successful students even exist. How can someone be a longtime instructor and not have more reviews accessible than that crappy hole-in-the-wall restaurant down the street does? It's 2023 for Pete's sake and I can't find any info on the old World Wide Web, and I even tried webcrawler and excite.
I'm happy to give you references if you'd like to talk with transformed students.

You may have missed that I'm currently advertising another group clinic of mine, with Tom Kennedy co-teaching. He backs my teaching as sound, others include Mike Massey, Steve Lillis, Ken Tewksbury, Dom Esposito, etc., pros and teachers.