What does Team USA’s Mosconi Cup future look like?

HawaiianEye

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'm an American pool fan. This is a TEAM event and yes, i want the US to win. This isn't some standard pool event where everyone is out for themselves. What a tool.
LOL.

Don’t get your Mosconi-print undies in a bunch.

This is a game.

This is not a life-threatening world event.

Pool is pool.

May the best team win.

Jaden

"no buds chill"
Silver Member
If you hear the same year after year...well could there be just a slight chance that the others might have a point?

And as Jay Helfert said many times, the US players have not a lot of international experience and this conceals that they just aren't as strong as they might think they are and don't think it is necessary to put even more work into their game.
You must've missed the part where those same people are quiet as a mouse when the US wins...lol. What a maroon...

Jaden

skogstokig

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Wrong, there's less than 10 players in the US who are KNOWN to play at this level. Without a tour in the US, there are many players who purposefully stay under the radar so that they can make a living.

JAden
sure. there are heaps of fedor gorst quality players in 2020 who have gone under the radar and haven't had their names spilled on internet. they're making millions hustlin' in smoke-filled pool halls as we speak

Brozif

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It's the same crap from the same America haters every year... Then when America wins, they're silent. It gets tiresome hearing the same crap year after year. America can win just as easily as Europe can. They're short races in the most stressful setting in billiards. Momentum holds a HUGE sway.

This year it could be as simple as feeling down about Bergman and not being able to get a good rhythm.

I think people drastically misunderstand the difference between the best players. The reality is that there is very little difference between the best players and different players are best under different situations. Shane is still the best player in the world by results overall statistically (fargo), but he obviously isn't the best under the conditions at Mosconi Cup.

Even if it was conceded that Europe is better under the conditions at Mosconi cup (I'm not BTW) To try and make the argument that they're better at pool because of that is absolutely ludicrous.

Jaden
This isn’t about American haters at all. I’m just trying to be realistic with the state of the level of play from Team USA members compared to players from other parts of the world. The sad reality is that Team USA is below Team Europe and would also be below teams from China, and Philippines if they had them. At the Mosconi Cup, it only takes one mistake or dry breaking from a team or player to lose your match, but as evidenced from this years cup, the most consistent players have been the Europeans. They’re better composed for these short races and they would be even stronger in the longer races as well.

Maybe in a short race like the ones at the cup its hard to see the difference in their skill level (although it’s been pretty evident in this one), but in a longer race you’ll really be able to see just how much stronger the Europeans are. At one point in the history of the Mosconi Cup, it was the other way around and the Americans were by far the stronger players, but that dominance is what motivated more people from Europe to take up playing pool. It’s that whole “hate losing to USA” thing! Doesn’t hurt that they have complete support from their countries, strong sponsorships and TV coverage, where as here in the USA, this country could give two shits about billiards, where are the sponsors and we see how much TV coverage there is.

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
sure. there are heaps of fedor gorst quality players in 2020 who have gone under the radar and haven't had their names spilled on internet. they're making millions hustlin' in smoke-filled pool halls as we speak
Exactly. I said 10 and it may be as high as 15. That's it.

Brozif

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Wrong, there's less than 10 players in the US who are KNOWN to play at this level. Without a tour in the US, there are many players who purposefully stay under the radar so that they can make a living.

JAden
So there are some underground monster players that are gambling against other monster players and NOBODY has seen or heard of them? The pool community is not that small. We would have heard of them for sure.

Jaden

"no buds chill"
Silver Member
So there are some underground monster players that are gambling against other monster players and NOBODY has seen or heard of them? The pool community is not that small. We would have heard of them for sure.
Wow, you don't get it. There's simply no reason for them to show that they are monsters and without a tour, they can't fully develop as tournament players. Most of the Euro players don't gamble at all. It's a different mindset. Constantly trying to hide your game can force bad habits and some lack of consistency.

If there was a good paying US tour, you would have the better players focus on doing well enough in a tournament setting that would lend itself more to doing well in a MC type format.

Jaden

jokrswylde

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
LOL.

Don’t get your Mosconi-print undies in a bunch.

This is a game.

This is not a life-threatening world event.

Pool is pool.

May the best team win.
So you cheer for other countries during the Olympics?
I don't care if it's underwater basket weaving or a spelling bee, if the US is competing against another country, I 'm cheering for the US!

JAden
That’s what I’m sayin. If you run a tour in the USA, most players wouldn't play it, because they don't want to compete, they want money, and it’s easier to earn money playing local tournaments and gambling against amateurs than playing each other. Top European players play each other 20 times a year, while top American players play amateurs. As I said, in Europe you can make living as a pool player only if you are on the top, there’s no amateur events with big prizes, and there is no space for hustle because pool players are a small community. I know some players who go to the USA on vacation, play amateur events, gamble, and come back with money. They are good players, but they can not earn money playing pool here, they have a regular job, and play pool a few times a week.

jokrswylde

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Wow, you don't get it. There's simply no reason for them to show that they are monsters and without a tour, they can't fully develop as tournament players. Most of the Euro players don't gamble at all. It's a different mindset. Constantly trying to hide your game can force bad habits and some lack of consistency.

If there was a good paying US tour, you would have the better players focus on doing well enough in a tournament setting that would lend itself more to doing well in a MC type format.

Jaden
I kind of compare it to soccer in the US. Before the MLS, there were very few world class American players. But SLOWLY as the MLS has increased exposure and $$, it has pulled some of those great US athletes from basketball and football.

The US is still well behind Europe in soccer, but when athletes realize they can make a good living at it, more and more are enticed to give it a shot. That is what, I think, a well funded, well ran pro tour could do for folks in the US

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
You must've missed the part where those same people are quiet as a mouse when the US wins...lol. What a maroon...

Jaden
Out of last 19 MC's the US has won 6 and tied 1. Some track record, huh. European pool is just better. Better training, better organization, everything. Hell, based on some comments here even their haircuts and dress is better. They could form 2-3 teams that could still win.

Jaden

"no buds chill"
Silver Member
Out of last 19 MC's the US has won 6 and tied 1. Some track record, huh. European pool is just better. Better training, better organization, everything. Hell, based on some comments here even their haircuts and dress is better. They could form 2-3 teams that could still win.
Spit up someone else's ass and try to tell them it's raining. The above is an absolutely ridiculous notion.

Jaden

HawaiianEye

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
So you cheer for other countries during the Olympics?
I don't care if it's underwater basket weaving or a spelling bee, if the US is competing against another country, I 'm cheering for the US!
I do not cheer for any of them.

I watch and am entertained by high-level playing.

I am not someone that is emotionally attached to games.

Maybe the American players should move to the Philippines, sleep under a pool table, and learn to eat rice while they are perfecting their games.

Why do Americans cheer for Efren?

If the US is competing in a war, I am always cheering for the Americans.

Even though Jay wrote a book called “Pool Wars”, pool is not really war.

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Spit up someone else's ass and try to tell them it's raining. The above is an absolutely ridiculous notion.

Jaden
The US can BARELY field a team. How many players in the US, other than those on this team, play good enough to compete with top Euro players? Guarantee you its less than 20. Top of my head: Bergmann, Shane McMinn, Chip Compton, Dechaine, Donnie Mills, Steyer. I'm already out of names. Point is there are VERY few US players that play big-table on the same level as Euro players. And there are few-to-ZERO in the pipeline as the US has no development program other than local events(mostly bar box) and the ever magical 'GAMBLING".

Brozif

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Jaden
I guess I’m trying to understand what you are saying and I’m confused.

you’re saying that since there is no pro tour and no availability for players to make a good living from playing pool, that there are players out there purposely hiding their true skill level so that they can hustle? Is that right? And they’re gambling against amateurs in order to make the money that they can’t make playing in the big tournaments? I’m just trying to understand so that we don’t continue with the miscommunication.

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I do not cheer for any of them.

I watch and am entertained by high-level playing.

I am not someone that is emotionally attached to games.

Maybe the American players should move to the Philippines, sleep under a pool table, and learn to eat rice while they are perfecting their games.

Why do Americans cheer for Efren?

If the US is competing in a war, I am always cheering for the Americans.

Even though Jay wrote a book called “Pool Wars”, pool is not really war.
Same way you cheer for thieving cue dealers? I get it now. All clear.

HawaiianEye

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Same way you cheer for thieving cue dealers? I get it now. All clear.
LOL.

Are you changing a pool playing thread to a cue thread now?

Do you and all the American Mosconi players play with American-made cues?

If not, why not?

The US can BARELY field a team. How many players in the US, other than those on this team, play good enough to compete with top Euro players? Guarantee you its less than 20. Top of my head: Bergmann, Shane McMinn, Chip Compton, Dechaine, Donnie Mills. I'm already out of names. Point is there are VERY few US players that play big-table on the same level as Euro players.
Only Shane, Sky and Bergman play good enough to compete best Europeans, the others you mentioned are close, but not good enough. Maybe they could raise the level of their game if they played each other more often

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Only Shane, Sky and Bergman play good enough to compete best Europeans, the others you mentioned are close, but not good enough. Maybe they could raise the level of their game if they played each other more often
I agree. I follow the game pretty damn close and know quite a few of these guys on some level. There just aren't many here that play world class big-table pool. These people that think there are a bunch in the weeds hiding out gambling are either sorely mis-informed or delusional.