What does the "orange crush" mean in handicapping?

Banks

Banned
Oh, and wallet didn't seem slimmer.

I've had it happen once or twice..

1 5 is slimmer than the ones I gave in change. :eek:

I'll take it and let them rack the balls themselves....

Same here. I was messing around with JC at our BCA event when somebody agreed to let me have the 5-out and the breaks if they got the 6-out. I was just starting to get drunk and they still didn't get more than a few shots in the race.

Same here. Just giving someone the 5 ball doesn't seem that much different than giving the 8. In all cases, there are 2 money balls on the table. But, if you give them the 5-out, well, now there's FIVE money balls on the table.

Incidentally, I gave that spot to a SL2 (I'm an SL7) for fun and man that was tough. I couldn't handle it. In a race to 9, I lost 9-7. :p

It doesn't sound like much, but it can make a huge difference when you're not a complete run-out player. When I was moving up, and even now, I tried doing the same thing and was totally surprised that I couldn't fade the weight. Well, it turned out there was a huge problem giving up extra money balls when I still missed that many shots myself.. miss, bad leaves, etc, can be brutal for a B and below giving up weight. :embarrassed2:

stljohnny

knowledge > execution. :(
Silver Member

It doesn't sound like much, but it can make a huge difference when you're not a complete run-out player. When I was moving up, and even now, I tried doing the same thing and was totally surprised that I couldn't fade the weight. Well, it turned out there was a huge problem giving up extra money balls when I still missed that many shots myself.. miss, bad leaves, etc, can be brutal for a B and below giving up weight. :embarrassed2:

That was exactly it. I'd make some silly mistake late in the rack with position and miss a tough shot. Gah - I can't wait till I stop doing that. hahaha :grin-square:

Banks

Banned
That was exactly it. I'd make some silly mistake late in the rack with position and miss a tough shot. Gah - I can't wait till I stop doing that. hahaha :grin-square:

My best advice would be: make the game easy on yourself. I get a lot more runs going by taking an easy, decent leave over trying to get perfect shape. To push the point, you know those days where it seems you can shoot at anything? Imagine how well you could do if you just focus on leaving yourself "A" shot, without risking shots and hooks by trying to do too much.

bigshooter

<--vs Chuck Norris on TAR
Silver Member
I always ask for "The Yellow Banana" that means I get the One ball and my opponent has to shoot with a crooked cue.

Pushout

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I've always understood it to mean just the 5 ball and the break. You might go down the road and they play it different. When I was learning to play we racked the 5 behind the 1 playing 9 ball if there was money on it, especially in ring games. Down the road a few miles, they always racked the 5 in the very back of the rack, even in ring games.

OUSooner

Known Fish
Silver Member
Freddie the beard defines it in his books as the 5 out and the snaps. That's what I've always heard it referred to as well.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9650 using Tapatalk

RunoutJJ

Professional Banger
Silver Member
Best spot I ever gave was on a triple shimmed GC. I told the kid that if he made any ball on the break he would win the game. If he didnt then I got BIH. It was a good night that night :wink:

btown

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
i dont care what world you live in, the orange crush is the breaks and the orange ball and thats it.. learn to play pool people!

Maniac

2manyQ's
Silver Member
Would someone please explain the differences (for my non-educated a$$) between getting the 5, getting the 5-and-out, and getting the wild five???

As far as the breaks, well, I get that part :grin:!!!

Maniac (obviously NOT a gambler)

thebigdog

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Would someone please explain the differences (for my non-educated a$$) between getting the 5, getting the 5-and-out, and getting the wild five???

As far as the breaks, well, I get that part :grin:!!!

Maniac (obviously NOT a gambler)

Getting the 5 means you will win the game by making either the 5 or the 9. 5-out means you win if you make any of the 5-9 balls. Wild 5 means you do not have to call the 5-ball to win. Whenever spots are given it is wild unless specified that it is to be called.

DrOnePocket

Banned
I've always understood it to mean just the 5 ball and the break. You might go down the road and they play it different. When I was learning to play we racked the 5 behind the 1 playing 9 ball if there was money on it, especially in ring games. Down the road a few miles, they always racked the 5 in the very back of the rack, even in ring games.

Ring games are different than 2 people gambling. Of course you rack the 5 where it isn't likely to go on the break in a ring game.

Spider1

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It's the five out.

Ridiculous spot. The five by itself is strong, but nothing like the crush strong. A strong player can give the five to a weak player and do ok....five out is just crazy. You're basically betting the guy giving the spot will run out every time he goes to. The table.

JC

Coos Cues

1 5 is slimmer than the ones I gave in change. :eek:

Same here. I was messing around with JC at our BCA event when somebody agreed to let me have the 5-out and the breaks if they got the 6-out. I was just starting to get drunk and they still didn't get more than a few shots in the race.

That was a weird one wasn't it? It sounded too good to be true so it made you nervous. Truth is you could have played that guy heads up and won.

So what did you spend your winnings on later?:smile:

JC

Lock N Load

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Getting the 5 means you will win the game by making either the 5 or the 9. 5-out means you win if you make any of the 5-9 balls. Wild 5 means you do not have to call the 5-ball to win. Whenever spots are given it is wild unless specified that it is to be called.

What he just said!!!!
Many Regards,
Lock N Load.

Wedge

WO Wedge Lock
Silver Member
Guess it differs

What he just said!!!!
Many Regards,
Lock N Load.

In the Northeast, at least back in the 70's, the wild 5 meant you could make it on the break or a combo. The straight 5 meant you had to make it in rotation. Guess that is why it is good to really clarify a spot prior to the game beginning!

Lock N Load

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
In the Northeast, at least back in the 70's, the wild 5 meant you could make it on the break or a combo. The straight 5 meant you had to make it in rotation. Guess that is why it is good to really clarify a spot prior to the game beginning!

Hey Wedge,
You are correct all the way about making the game understood up front. I got caught up like that in St Louis, Mo. One time. Down on Grand ave off of I-70. Rules were not understood up front. I went on and paid the guy, but I did not shoot there any more. I did not give the guy a hard time either, just paid quit and left, went on the the Windy city to play. Lesson learned the hard way.
Many Regards,
Lock N Load.