What does this mean exactly "help an idiot"

SKJoss72

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Now some Will consider this a stupid question but oh well. I need to know what exactly does "beating the 9 ball ghost" I mean cant we use regular english these days I am fairly new to the game by most standards and dont really gamble so maybe thats why I dont have a grasp on some of these terms. most i have figured out but this one is not one of them. thanks SK

TimKrazyMon

Kid Delicious' Evil Twin
Silver Member
"Beating the 9-ball ghost" simply means either A) you broke & ran out a rack, or B) you are breaking & running out more often than you don't. Playing the ghost is a method of practice some players use where they break, then try to run out off ball in hand. If you run out then you beat the ghost, if not the ghost wins.

Last edited:

ctyhntr

RIP Kelly
Silver Member
Beating the ghost means you are able to successfully complete the 9-ball break and run drill. You start off by breaking and then take ball in hand and try to run the rack.

Based on how well you do in this exercise, there are online guide to rate yourself from from A to D speed.

Cornerman

Cue Author...Sometimes
Gold Member
Silver Member
I mean cant we use regular english these days I am fairly new to the game by most standards and dont really gamble so maybe thats why I dont have a grasp on some of these terms. most i have figured out but this one is not one of them. thanks SK
No, we can't use regular english. If you're going to be a pool player, then it wouldn't hurt to learn the vernacular.

For a good read on "Playing the Ghost," read this Playing God by barenada, but just replace 'God' with 'the Ghost."

Fred

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member
The ghost never misses

If you're a beginner you can start with the 3-ball ghost...
and start with cue ball in hand.
Some of the best players have graduated to the 12-ball ghost....
...when they aren't signing autographs...

One poster,I disremember who,has in his sig line...
..In the spirit world..the ghosts play Efren..
can't get higher praise than that

And no..you aren't an idiot,you just have to learn the jargon.

We'll be testing you later on with things like...
What is 'Two-hit-and the pick'? for a $100
..or..What is a 'white flag'? for a 3-day cruise :smile:

book collector

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
What does

The ghost comes to almost everyones pool room or house that plays pretty good.
He usually kicks their butt and leaves them ashamed by reality.
Some people fudge the rules, or worse, so that they have a better chance against the ghost.
He usually wins anyway.
For the 500 or less players who can legitimately beat the ghost on a daily basis on a Pro cut 4 1/2 x 9 Diamond or a little tighter Gold crown the ghost will have to wait a while, my advice is to beat him every chance you get while you still can.

joey900rr

What 9-ball fell?
Silver Member
Based on how well you do in this exercise, there are online guide to rate yourself from from A to D speed.[/QUOTE]

Do you know where this rating system is off hand. Thanks in advance.

SKJoss72

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
thanks guys I kinda was guessing something like this although not much into playing 9 ball ( into 8 ball and 14.1) guess I gotta start playing 9 ball for some ghost action:wink:

BRKNRUN

Showin some A$$
Silver Member
"bye" is the worst player ever in the game of pool.

"ghost" is the second best player ever in the game of pool.

Efren gives the "ghost" the call 8.

RiverCity

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Here is the problem with using the ghost as a ratings scale. People have different ideas and definitions of what an A player or a B player can or should be able to do, there are no set in stone definitions.
If you use the ghost to decide, you are not gaging all the aspects of the game that go into what rankings should include. Playing the ghost is pure offensive firepower, there are no safeties, no kicking out of safeties etc etc etc. Its just get up and run out. It would be like asking who was the best heavyweight boxer ever based solely on how hard they punch. Not enough information to make an informed analysis.
Chuck

richiebalto

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Here is the problem with using the ghost as a ratings scale. People have different ideas and definitions of what an A player or a B player can or should be able to do, there are no set in stone definitions.
If you use the ghost to decide, you are not gaging all the aspects of the game that go into what rankings should include. Playing the ghost is pure offensive firepower, there are no safeties, no kicking out of safeties etc etc etc. Its just get up and run out. It would be like asking who was the best heavyweight boxer ever based solely on how hard they punch. Not enough information to make an informed analysis.
Chuck

that is a great way of looking at it, very true,so you could be a b player when playing the ghost,and A plus when playing another shooter.YOU REALLY HIT THE NAIL ON THE HEAD WITH THIS POST!

SKJoss72

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
kinda makes sense to me because I step up my game when playing during league. especially against someone I dont really care for. for me practice is boring and I dont do very much of it. unless it against someone whoo stops by. which is never

I consider myself a B player based on, runout abillity, safety play, etc...unfortunately i will never be an A player because i let outside stuff affect my game. (luck shot made by opponents, people just acting like a--holes, etc)

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member
kinda makes sense to me because I step up my game when playing during league. especially against someone I dont really care for. for me practice is boring and I dont do very much of it. unless it against someone whoo stops by. which is never

I consider myself a B player based on, runout abillity, safety play, etc...unfortunately i will never be an A player because i let outside stuff affect my game. (luck shot made by opponents, people just acting like a--holes, etc)

Boxers are made in the gym.
Golfers are made on the practise field.
Practise is like a monk doing his chants...
..play THROUGH the boredom...
on the other side is waiting.....as good as you can play