What happened to John Barton?

Snooker Theory

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
For some reason I got the urge to reply to this one.
Maybe because I see some stuff in John that I recognize.
I figure that he's probably off the forums for the same reasons I am.

One of issues is that in pool rooms, and on AZ, there's a certain type here
that can be hard for some of us to fade.
I'm talking about the ones who can't seem to rein in their politics even outside of NPR,
guys who'd label someone like John (or me) as lefty bleeding heart liberals.

I imagine that it's tiresome for someone with Chinese friends, Chinese employees, and a Chinese wife,
to constantly fade little potshots about 'Red Communist China' and running a 'sweatshop'.

Those potshots get to happen for 2 reasons -

One, if you did a bar graph of AZ's regular posters, it'd probably look like this: https://i.imgur.com/cqVEkZk.png
There's nobody here to break that up with some outside perspective.

Two, moderation for the longest time was handled by someone who was either not around,
or didn't mind a little rudeness. Especially if the rudeness was directed at a guy who is
the polar opposite of the mod, politically.

I should, in fairness, mention that John's problems are not 100% someone else's fault.
He has that personality type that makes him unable to resist arguing on the internet for page after page,
though I've heard him swear off it. Maybe 2020 is a new beginning for him.

But in any case I can understand why he sticks to Facebook.

A few people have mentioned the toxic atmosphere here, and it's funny to me that a few others
are saying "what problem?" ... I imagine those people as fish swimming in a tank covered in green slime,
and somehow their gills have adapted to breathe it without getting sick.

I am a non partisan guy, honestly couldn't agree more. I like discussing politics but on here it's mostly name calling.

Things have gotten much worse since I been here, I see people insult each others profession, someone started saying one of the posters plagerized Dr. Daves work(because of his politics), started a thread accusing the guy. I messaged Dr. Dave and of course it was all bullshit, the guy had even sent a copy of his book to Dave before publishing.

deanoc

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
II createda stir on here

I think I will retreat ,ever notice how hard it is to
find peace,love and harmony

Ever notice how people hold onto their own preconceived ideas?

I tend to do the same thing

I interrupt this thread to bring a message of hope to
a short stroking pool world

have you ever wondered what it would be like to own a cue that felt to good,hit so solid that
it took your mind away from the eveyday humdrum life of worry

My friends,Jackpot is the answer to your pool playing woes

I am bringing this commercial announcement to your attention bcause Jackopot believes
that pool should be easy for everyone

And pool players that are happy play pool instead of browsing the computer

You remember the fun you used to have when you first found pool?
you couldn't think of anything else.

It was pure,it was pleasant, it took your mindaway fom the m
hum drum

jackpot cues is bringing bac thise lovely days,How?

Glad you asked
call dean

Hit the Jackpot

Last edited:

ShootingArts

Smorg is giving St Peter the 7!
Gold Member
Silver Member
You can find my name on the tail of my shirt ...

Dean,

I was going to give you a little sketch of who I am but after the second cheap shot you took at me and now a third I will let you look a little for yourself. First off look at my avatar. That is a modified Smorg badge I have used for many years and will use as long as this account exists. That should tell you something. The picture in the middle is a picture of me from the days I owned multiple businesses and horses running in para-mutual races. That is from my horse owner's license. That tells you a little more.

Most of the old time good folks on here know me well. With over ten-thousand posts here there is more information here than anywhere on the Net. I never posted that many times on my own forums. You can read my posts until you are sick of it, somewhere along the line you should figure out exactly who Hu and ShootingArts is.

ShootingArts has been the name of a handful of businesses involving pool, guns, and photography. Hu has been the name on the sign at a handful of businesses. Anyone that I have played pool with in the last fifty years knows or knew me as Hu. A last name was never given so would not mean anything now.

I have never matched up a time in my life and I played anyone who came in the front door or whose front door I walked in, for whatever they wanted to play for, even. I was in some road players books and I had somebody at Greenway steering road players my way when it was one of the hubs of the US pool world. All of these people got played, even. Damned few liked coming on my turf to play me though some had a lot of fun. I have never rated myself better than shortstop but there were more than a few nights I controlled every shot on the table for six or eight hours. Never got beat by anyone while they were sitting in a chair and that includes some of the very best.

Check out a few threads about Smorg's jacket to get a clue. Read threads between me and your little buddy with an unbiased eye and get a clue too.

I am Hu. I have been known as Hu since before there was an internet to speak of. Been on the net since '88. A name or a handle is what a person makes it. I have made Hu known and respected any place I have been be it dealing with cars, rifles, pistols, chainsaws, wood lathes, metal working, pool, any area I took an interest in. I have pool lathes, metal lathes, and wood lathes, and the ability to use them at a level few can match.

I know no more about deano than you know about Hu other than you are yet another person that doesn't have the guts to call a person to their face and prefers to weasel around while maintaining deniability about your posts.

You finally got up a little balls with your last post after you saw other posts that supported your position to call me by name. That got you this reply, I had changed my mind about giving one more person without the guts to come at a person head on anything.

I am Hu. Now who is deano? Turn about is fair play.

Hu

I keep hearing china is going to be at war with the USA someday

If so, I bet not a few will be looking back and missing the good ole days when John Barton
and a few other yankee americans gave them food on the table
heck,john may be considered a humanitarian

plus i am waiting for Hu and a few others to tell us who they are
I would like to know
until then I don't plan on reading anymore of his post

i don't know where he is coming from

For all we know this guy might be some subversive guy with a secret agenda
pretending to play pool just to knock John Barton

tell us who you play,what game,how well , gambler or league.
where do you work,wife,kids,school just the basics so we know you we are talking to

After all these remarks ,I still like John barton and I haven't seen one good reason not to

in fact I think I will buy some cases

John when you read this send me about 6 cases like i usually buy,we still love you Buddy

this is still John Barton Country on Az, still a few complainers but they never have anything good to say about me either so don't take it hard

I want another mouse case,a hustler movie, you know what i like,you pick the colors
I hear you are still no good at one pocket maybe i will try you on one more time

I still have that custom ball case you made for me,I get lots of compliments.

Oh ,I can't close without asking you to buy a Jackpot cue,you remember Jack potter at Libra cues.
he is making great cues at low prices,I ran 56 balls with mine,you might start winning if you hit the Jackpot

jokrswylde

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Funny thread. JB drama without the JB...lol

Ha I was just going to post how in the world JB can get people so riled up in a thread he isn't even participating in!

I don't know JB, but I appreciate the support for tourneys and such. I have heard great things about his cases...almost pulled the trigger on a 3x4 a couple times, but just a bit too expensive for this old high school teacher.

CocoboloCowboy

Cowboys are my hero's
Silver Member
People cry about perceived notions that all Chinese labor is slaves, and children. But I wonder how many of these expert have visited China.

Speaking of over worked, and under paid how about the folk who take care of our vegetables, and fruit. Farm workers.

There always seem to be a shortage of skill & educated workers. But the people with no education, or skills cry the blue because they are underpaid.

Solution is to get a college degree in some field that pays well, or spent 3 - 5 years in an apprentiship for a trade that pay well.

ShootingArts

Gold Member
Silver Member
repeating a myth

People cry about perceived notions that all Chinese labor is slaves, and children. But I wonder how many of these expert have visited China.

Speaking of over worked, and under paid how about the folk who take care of our vegetables, and fruit. Farm workers.

There always seem to be a shortage of skill & educated workers. But the people with no education, or skills cry the blue because they are underpaid.

Solution is to get a college degree in some field that pays well, or spent 3 - 5 years in an apprentiship for a trade that pay well.

Two percent of illegal aliens work on US farms. That is old info so I suspect it is less than two percent now. Add that much of our produce is of foreign origin and if we booted every illegal alien out of the country it would be unlikely to make twenty dollars a month difference in our grocery bills.

While we have illegal aliens in all walks of life 50% of them never crossed a border illegally. They came here legally and stayed when their visa ran out. That is why a wall would only stop maybe 10-20% of illegal immigration. Walls do work, that is why so many other countries have them. I seem to recall china is known for putting up a little wall themselves. Anyway, putting up border walls would be econimically profitable even at ten to twenty percent so I do favor a wall.

I have never been to china or a half-dozen countries whose news sites I visited daily for years. Gives a bit of insight. I also talked to people from around the world daily in those same years. I don't know it all about those countries but I do know enough I can often block the people blowing smoke. One country in the mideast gave it's workers a 30 or 35 percent increase in whatever they called minimum wage. A contractor over there said he wished he could get a thirty-five percent increase. I pointed out that they now were guaranteed seventy cents an hour. The silence from his way was deafening.

john has tried to blow bs about china. When faced with truth he has no reply. Things are improving in china but it wasn't long ago that better paying jobs in manufacturing paid less than a dollar an hour. Overtime? Benefits? Don't be silly! The rudimentary safety equipment was usually bypassed in the interest of production.

People in the higher paid positions you are talking about are being forced to train their lower paid foreign replacements. If they don't do the training for the very person replacing them they lose their umbrella whatever little it may be and of course references will point out that the worker had a poor attitude and was uncooperative not mentioning what these claims were based on. I wouldn't train my replacement on two different jobs myself. One was a foreigner that was supposed to know a lot more than me, the other was a yankee. I did finally train the yankee when I was leaving anyway. The Victor Charlie, let him learn for himself just like I did. I came in for free several times to show why he couldn't do something. After several free visits I told my former employers I would come in to work with him, but not for free!

You are drifting off topic unless john barton is an illegal alien. Did he give up US citizenship during his years in china?

Hu

FairladyZ

The Boss Stooge
Staff member
Silver Member
I am a non partisan guy, honestly couldn't agree more. I like discussing politics but on here it's mostly name calling.
One of the reasons I've peared my posting in NPR down to very little....and lurk this section a tad bit more.

CocoboloCowboy

Cowboys are my hero's
Silver Member
2%?

LMAO

The USDA says it well over 50%

https://www.ers.usda.gov/topics/farm-economy/farm-labor/#employment

I work in the Industry, 2% estimate is just totally nonsensical, no offense, but that is just silly talk!

Back long ago we had in the U.S.A. The Bracero Program, aka Guest Workers program. It worked will, but was discontinued. It was a part to a legal way to get a GREEN CARD.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bracero_program

My neighbor in Sacramento came to the U.S.A. From Mexico as parents were bracero's, he went to college, got his BS, MA, and had a great job as a Parole Agent. Like I said the program worked.

ShootingArts

Gold Member
Silver Member
read again

2%?

LMAO

The USDA says it well over 50%

https://www.ers.usda.gov/topics/farm-economy/farm-labor/#employment

I work in the Industry, 2% estimate is just totally nonsensical, no offense, but that is just silly talk!

An estimated 50% of farm workers are illegal aliens. That represents less than a million of the estimated twenty million illegal aliens in the US. Yours are the numbers twisted.

You can search and get quite a few different numbers but none are anywhere close to claiming fifty percent of illegal aliens are farm workers. A quick glance turned up an article or report that said eliminating illegal farm workers would raise the price of groceries about thirty dollars a year. We don't need them!

The only people that need illegal workers are those that need subhumans to either work for illegally low wages or in illegal conditions. I support increasing legal immigration to fill any real needs. However, the same people using illegal aliens today would keep using them no matter how many legal immigrants we had here needing a job. It isn't about the need for workers, it is about the need for subhumans. It is somewhat like modern day slavery, in some cases it is very close to it.

Hu

Snooker Theory

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
An estimated 50% of farm workers are illegal aliens. That represents less than a million of the estimated twenty million illegal aliens in the US...

We don't need them!

I see what you were saying now regarding the 2%.

As for needing them or not, and the direction of this thread, really seems more fitting for NPR.

Z-Nole

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
So lets talk about what this thread is really about and why it was started.

Who has bought a Jackpot cue?

I look forward to the aiming thread that surely will be coming soon to sell more cues!

And for whoever said JB doesn't reach out and help other case makers they are 100% wrong. I know of at least one grumpy old bastard case maker that is a competitor who has a great deal of respect for Barton and has had a free exchange of ideas and information over the years. God ole Deano even owns several of this guys cases.

Now back to the informercial.

Maxx

AzB Platinum Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
An estimated 50% of farm workers are illegal aliens. That represents less than a million of the estimated twenty million illegal aliens in the US. Yours are the numbers twisted.

You can search and get quite a few different numbers but none are anywhere close to claiming fifty percent of illegal aliens are farm workers. A quick glance turned up an article or report that said eliminating illegal farm workers would raise the price of groceries about thirty dollars a year. We don't need them!

The only people that need illegal workers are those that need subhumans to either work for illegally low wages or in illegal conditions. I support increasing legal immigration to fill any real needs. However, the same people using illegal aliens today would keep using them no matter how many legal immigrants we had here needing a job. It isn't about the need for workers, it is about the need for subhumans. It is somewhat like modern day slavery, in some cases it is very close to it.

Hu
“subhumans”, really? Is that what you meant to say? If so, I feel sorry for you.

Dean, sorry to interrupt, I hope you find John Barton and get some cases.

Last edited:

jimmyg

Mook! What's a Mook?
Silver Member
Originally Posted by ShootingArts View Post

Hu

“subhumans”, really? Is that what you meant to say? I feel sorry for you.

Dean, sorry to interrupt, I hope you find the lost cue.

Although, without the aid of the tone of voice and facial expressions, it's often more difficult to understand the intended meaning of the written than the spoken word, I am 100% positive that I understand exactly what Hu said and meant, and it's not what you suggest.

The reference to "subhumans" was from the point of view of the employers who exploit them because of their illegal status, by employing them to work under "subhuman" conditions for unlivable wages. I sincerely doubt that the "subhuman" reference was from Hu's opinion of them...Hu, in the event that I'm incorrect in my interpretation, please correct me.

As far as the cue is concerned, I'm doubting that it was actually sent to anyone. :wink:

Last edited:

Sunchaser

Belgian Malinois
Silver Member
Always liked JBs videos. And banter. And cases. A group hug could fix most of this you guys....

ShootingArts

Gold Member
Silver Member
agreed on both counts

I see what you were saying now regarding the 2%.

As for needing them or not, and the direction of this thread, really seems more fitting for NPR.

We seem to be in full agreement or so close as to not matter. Since nobody has a real count on illegal aliens comparatively small differences in estimates will always exist.

Glad we reached understanding.

I suspect some would gladly derail this thread at this point but NPR is indeed the more appropriate place to discuss illegal aliens and activities surrounding them.

Hu