What happened to my tip?

kobyp

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Was shooting earlier today and went to chalk my cue and this chunk came off.

This is the tip that came on my OB1 shaft. Is that just a layer that came off? Can I just reshape it and keep using it?

ob1%20_2_.jpg

ob1.jpg

ShootingArts

Smorg is giving St Peter the 7!
Gold Member
Silver Member
yup, layer gone

Does look like you just shed a layer, one reason I don't like layered tips. Reshape and try again. If you peel another layer, trash the tip. Reshape from the top of the tip to the sides if spinning and cutting to decrease the likelihood of delaminating.

Hu

ShootingArts

Gold Member
Silver Member
maybe not

JoeyInCali said:
good God, that's ugly.
Looks too thin now to get a dime shape to me.

Joey,

The second image looks like he could probably reshape but a closer look at the second image makes it look like he may have some glue problems between the tip and pad too. Time to give the tip an aviation test.

Hu

JoeyInCali

Maker of Joey Bautista Cues
Silver Member
ShootingArts said:
Joey,

The second image looks like he could probably reshape but a closer look at the second image makes it look like he may have some glue problems between the tip and pad too. Time to give the tip an aviation test.

Hu
I see gap between the carbon fiber disc and the tip even.

kobyp

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
ok... what's an "aviation test"

and here's a side shot of my tip:

ob1_6_.jpg

EDIT: other pic was too blurry

Last edited:

BottomEnglish

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'm no expert, but I believe the aviation test, is to toss it and see how long it flies (the tip, not the shaft). You need a new tip unless you can shape this one very carefully. You might be able to shape it, but you risk nicking the pad or the ferrule with your shaping tool. You lost a layer and it's an easy turn down and reshape safely for someone with a cue lathe.

Also, OB-1 had a bad run of Talisman tips and that is the reason they are switching to Everest. I'm not sure which you have.

ShootingArts

Gold Member
Silver Member
Blurry

Your side view is too blurry for me to see for certain but Joey and I are lookng at the same thing in another view, an apparent gap between the tip and pad, also chalk gathering there too.

An aviation test is simply seeing if it will fly, or to leave no doubt, throw that tip away. It is past saving. Even at the price to replace laminated tips they are too important to waste time fighting with a bad one.

Hu

Edit to keep up wth the update: The second shot in your original post is still the best to see the damage between the pad and tip since the angle allows some light in there and shows the gap most clearly. Apply a little pressure with your fingernail around the sides of the tip prying away from the ferule. You will almost certainly see some movement.

Last edited:

kobyp

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
ShootingArts said:
Your side view is too blurry for me to see for certain but Joey and I are lookng at the same thing in another view, an apparent gap between the tip and pad, also chalk gathering there too.

An aviation test is simply seeing if it will fly, or to leave no doubt, throw that tip away. It is past saving. Even at the price to replace laminated tips they are too important to waste time fighting with a bad one.

Hu

Edit to keep up wth the update: The second shot in your original post is still the best to see the damage between the pad and tip since the angle allows some light in there and shows the gap most clearly. Apply a little pressure with your fingernail around the sides of the tip prying away from the ferule. You will almost certainly see some movement.

thanks, I'll try that and post the results tomorrow evening.

CrownCityCorey

Sock it to 'em!
Silver Member
BottomEnglish said:
Also, OB-1 had a bad run of Talisman tips and that is the reason they are switching to Everest. I'm not sure which you have.

Judging by the color and apparent age, that would be a Talisman. :cool:

racer rx

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Now I could be wrong, but some of the local players here believe a very low Talisman gives tons of juice around the table. And it might add a bit of feel to the OB1.

try to re-shape it...

9baller

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
the same thing happened to the talisman tip that came with my ob1, but I love the shaft and have no complaints. I use the kamui tip now.

manwon

"WARLOCK 1"
Silver Member
kobyp said:
Was shooting earlier today and went to chalk my cue and this chunk came off.

This is the tip that came on my OB1 shaft. Is that just a layer that came off? Can I just reshape it and keep using it?

ob1%20_2_.jpg

ob1.jpg

It de-laminated, very common problem with layered tips. Get a new tip, thats about all you can do.

softshot

Simplify
Silver Member
now you know why you should avoid layered tips...Talisman, Triangle, LePro get the hard ones, all the rest will let you down.. eventually

kobyp

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
softshot said:
now you know why you should avoid layered tips...Talisman, Triangle, LePro get the hard ones, all the rest will let you down.. eventually

I do like the med/hard tips on my McDermotts. But I've been wanting to try those Kamui tips too. So I'll probably go with the kamui.

I got that shaft around thanksgiving 07, I just play all the time.

kobyp

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
New question:

Is there anyone in Oklahoma or NORTH Texas that I can bring my shaft to and have them put on a kamui med?

Not to trusting of the postal services here lately, so I'd rather drive it down myself.

IanCt

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Same thing happened to me, that damn Talisman tip!!! I had a sniper put on and love it, great feel, sound, action and requires little to no maintenance. I think OB would be better off using the sniper or everest tip as the standard.