What is my Richard Black worth?

bctf1

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Richard made this cue for me in 1973 while I was going to the University of Houston. At that time his shop was located in his garage. To the best of my knowledge the cue is made from birds eye maple and ebony with ivory dots. Cue experts would probably know better than me.

There are 4 points that are extremely even and proportional. The joint is stainless and there is a single shaft.that is approximately 12mm. The linen wrap is black with silver specs. The cue is beautiful and in good condition. It has seen many hours of use over the last 40 years and has a few minor flaws and dings. Over the years I have been told by many that this is one of the best hitting Blacks that they have ever tried.

I am curious to know the approximate value of this cue. I would appreciate your comments.

bctf1

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
mel_smOg, sorry if I posted in the wrong forum. For future reference what would be the right section?

poolrod

I like old school
Silver Member
Rating - 100%
199   0   0
Yup, $1100 to $1200 is perfect. I sold one very similar for $1200, shooting for what I payed at $1400,lol. Another bath.:thumbup:
Great cue, mine was the top one in the pic.Rod.
DSCF1006-1.jpg

Last edited:

HawaiianEye

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
If I had this cue and didn't need the money, I'd hold it for a LONG time.

That has to be one of Richard's earliest cue models with windows, points, etc. I would have to think it would be worth a lot more than $1200 some day.

I wish I still had the first one I had him make me back in 1978,

Ken_4fun

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Rating - 100%
50   0   0
I agree with the above posts its around the $1K.

To me what hurts the value is the 12mm shaft. Selling cues with that small and only having one, is a killer.

I recommend getting (2) full size shafts, getting it refinished and keep the cue.

Its worth more keeping it verses selling it unless you are strapped for cash.

Ken

dr9ball

"Lock Doctor"
Silver Member
Rating - 100%
4   0   0
I agree with the above posts its around the $1K.

To me what hurts the value is the 12mm shaft. Selling cues with that small and only having one, is a killer.

I recommend getting (2) full size shafts, getting it refinished and keep the cue.

Its worth more keeping it verses selling it unless you are strapped for cash.

Ken

More and more people like the 12mm or 11.75mm shafts. To collectors you are probably right to players who like the smaller diameter shafts they might like it. What's desirable 12.75 a 13.25mm? Different Cuemakers have different standard sizes.

Ken_4fun

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Rating - 100%
50   0   0
More and more people like the 12mm or 11.75mm shafts. To collectors you are probably right to players who like the smaller diameter shafts they might like it. What's desirable 12.75 a 13.25mm? Different Cuemakers have different standard sizes.

I didnt say that.

I know a guy that plays with 14mm shaft. I know folks that play with plywood shafts...errr I mean Predator shafts.

But if you are going to sell a cue with one 12mm shaft lots of luck. Folks want full 13mm shafts. If it is 12.9 or something I havent had too much of an issue, but folks really want 13mm.

Old JW cues came with 13.25+ shafts regularly, and if they got widdled down to 13mm no big deal. But for some reason JW shafts seem to get down to 12mm or so over the years as well.

Best of rolls,

Ken

PS I hope I dont come across as negative. It is a great cue and another example of a cue that folks should buy, play with, and enjoy. Folks who buy new production cues, for nearly the same money and they have it worth 1/2 almost immediately. If you can buy a dandy cue like this one, get it refinished and (2) new shafts it could last a lifetime and be something you could pass down to kids. The same money on a production cue could stake out tomatos.

Last edited:

Bamacues

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Rating - 100%
928   0   0

I agree with Ken on this one...and that is certainly not a "knock" on the OP's very nice Richard Black cue.

Lots of people like to PLAY with a 12mm shaft or below, but even more people want shafts very close to 13mm when they go to BUY a cue. With a thin shaft (and only one), you thin out the market and lose all those people who want fatter shafts.
Joe

PocketPooler

Silver Member
Rating - 100%
4   0   0
These guys are all crazy...

I'd say the cue is worth 250. But I'd give ya 300 for it!

LOL,,,

ok really... I would say the 12-1500 range sounds about right.

Good luck with it!

bctf1

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
How come no one added for the Gus prong with purple outside veneer?

JV

I really appreciate all of the replies to this thread, I am however confused by JV's comment about the Gus prong with purple outside veneer. An explanation would be helpful.

classiccues

Don't hashtag your broke friends
Silver Member
Rating - 100%
75   0   0
I really appreciate all of the replies to this thread, I am however confused by JV's comment about the Gus prong with purple outside veneer. An explanation would be helpful.

Early in Richards career he bought some blanks, commonly known as the forearm section where the points are, from Gus Szamboti. Arguably the maker of the greatest playing cues since the start of pushing spheres around on a flat surface. So that being said, Richards cues built with these forearms, bring a premium.

So in your cues case, its worth a bit more than a standard cue. If I was a collector, I would pay a little more for your cue, send it to Richard for a full resto and sit on it. But since I am a dealer, I'll give you half. But the lesson was free...;)

JV