What is the best 'players' joint??

ZekeCv

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I am looking to start an order to build a custom. I really like the ivory, but I hear it isnt the best players joint. From what I can gather 3/8-10/11 is a very stiff hit (break material) joint. Uni Loc, IMO does not have the strenght and feels like there is not enough there.
The consensus seems to be a 5/16-14 SS piloted as far as the kindest playing joint.
So I thought maybe somewhere in the middle like a, 5-16/14/18 piloted ivory sleeved SS joint. What do you guys think? should I try that or just go full SS and should I even use 5-16 joint or is there a better play joint out there. I like the lambros ultra joint. Seems to have it right as far as reviews go. But if I do not order a lambros, I'm up a creek.

So how about it... What's your favorite 'player' joint and why??
I greatly appreciate any input as this will be my first custom that "I" built and don't want to regret it.

Thanks all.

$TAKE HOR$E

champagne - campaign
Silver Member
Over the course of 350+ cues and every joint on the market today (I think), I have come to the conclusion that I like the 3/8x11 or 10 wood to wood the best. It all depends on personal preference and many people love a steel joint. The best way to figure out what best fits you is to try as many different ones as possible. The same goes with shafts. I have had at least a dozen Predator shafts as well as OB, Tiger...etc and I like the Predator the best. Even though they are for the most part all made the same way, I feel there is a difference in almost every shaft. Some people like the old original 314's and I have had ones I like and dislike. I also feel the 30 inch shafts are a tad better, maybe its mental. I will be trying a Mezz shaft next.

Rico

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
joints

try half ss 5/16 14 you will be surprised .just saying

ZekeCv

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Wood to Wood

// End of thread hands down best joint there is!!

I have a wood to wood sneaky. But it has a Uni Loc joint. It hits stiff and kinda viby. But I was wondering what the best joint is also combo or collars and joint pins. 3-8/11 ivory. 5-16/14 SS. Ect.

ZekeCv

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Over the course of 350+ cues and every joint on the market today (I think), I have come to the conclusion that I like the 3/8x11 or 10 wood to wood the best. It all depends on personal preference and many people love a steel joint. The best way to figure out what best fits you is to try as many different ones as possible. The same goes with shafts. I have had at least a dozen Predator shafts as well as OB, Tiger...etc and I like the Predator the best. Even though they are for the most part all made the same way, I feel there is a difference in almost every shaft. Some people like the old original 314's and I have had ones I like and dislike. I also feel the 30 inch shafts are a tad better, maybe its mental. I will be trying a Mezz shaft next.

I hear ya. I feel the same way on joints and especially shafts you gotta feel it. And I too like 30" shafts.

SC02GTP

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Joint

Concern yourself with what kind of taper and shaft woods to use. A joint selection should not be high on your list.

I have found that I like the ss 5/16 14 set up over a 3/8 11 with the same taper shafts. I have also found out that I like a pro taper more than the straight tapered shafts.

OUSooner

Known Fish
Silver Member
There is no such thing as a "player" joint. Joints will change the feel of a cue dramatically but its just as subjective as someones favorite color. Hit a few and figure out your favorite.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9650 using Tapatalk

Tramp Steamer

One Pocket enthusiast.
Silver Member
For the longest time I thought the best players joint was a little place down in Galveston, just down the street from Sally's. :smile:

cuesblues

cue accumulator
Silver Member
I can see why a lot of people prefer a wood to wood joint.
I've noticed with some SS joint cues, that when I finesse the CB they feel great, but when I power the ball it feels much harder than wood to wood.
Other than that, cue construction, shaft taper, wood combinations, tip & ferrule, are just as important if not more, than the type of joint.

NolesFan83

Wannabe pool player
Silver Member
For me its always been 3/8-10. I like my cues to play like a once piece. Recently ive started using only wood in my cues. Im talking even the ferrule is buck horn. Amazing feed back, and with the half standard half pro taper im using, i can move the ball with ease and have less deflection. hope that helps. plus lambros uses a 3/8 pin in his cues with that ultra joint. its awesome.

DB

OTB

I DIDN'T DO IT!!!!
Silver Member
Hard Times, Bellflower , Ca...lol

Last edited:

OTB

I DIDN'T DO IT!!!!
Silver Member
I like the looks of a white joint with the radial pin or 3/8x10.....solid feel
hard tip......

dr9ball

"Lock Doctor"
Silver Member
There is no "Best" joint, no "Best" cue, etc.

With that said, I prefer more, the big pin 3/8x10 or 3/8x11 flat faced wood to wood joint with ivory sleeve.

Try several, find something you like how it hits and how it looks and stick with it. Or buy several and start a collection.

Last edited:

DAVE_M

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I prefer 5/16x18 or 5/16x14. I'm not much into the piloted joints or uniloc joints. I've never liked the feel from a 3/8x10 pin. I also prefer wood to wood. The stainless joints are too heavy for my liking.

tpdtom

Really Old School
Silver Member
There is no "Best" joint, no "Best" cue, etc.

With that said prefer more big pin 3/8x10 or 3/8x11 flat faced wood to wood joint with ivory sleeve.

Try several, find something you like how it hits and how it looks and stick with it. Or buy several and start a collection.

What he said. Definitely wood to wood. Ivory or SS sleeve is fine...phenolic is just as good. Any BIG pin. 3/8X10 or 11, or Radial...Tom

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Go with ivory and there is a better chance it fails in som fashion, eventually.

I have both 5/16x14 piloted and 3/8-11 and cant tell the difference. Except the shafts fit on different cues. And the joint protectors cant swap. And youu have to get a tip for each one. Thats all I got.