What is the "gripiest" tip made?

MitchAlsup

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Looking for opinions on what tip has the most grip.

Tips do not grip, it is the chalk provides the grip.

I am looking for a tip that holds chalk well and does not quickly glaze over.

Hard tips (not preferred around here) glaze less, but require a more deliberate stroke.
Glazing is caused by the tip slipping--the tip slipping is caused by indeliberateness of the stroke and lack of chalk on the tip.

My tips generally require maintenance about twice a year with 10 hours of play time per week.

greyghost

Coast to Coast
Silver Member
I really kike the black ultra skin...
VERY VERY CONSISTANT AND LOW MAINTENANCE

thats awefully racist of ya......i'm telling joel and sev and the pc media and david lee roth your using anti semetic words

lmfao.....j/k of course, but i did find your typo amazingly funny duane:thumbup:

skins

Likes to draw
Silver Member
Bought some brown Kamikaze soft tips a while back and installed one on on my player. I have to say it holds chalk well and I haven't miscued since... The tip is transparent to the hit of the cue also. I would highly recommend trying one.

Rain-Man

Team Deplorable
Silver Member
Tips that get the most spin on whitey (IMO), in order:

1 - Kamui Blacks (To me, hands down. So much so I stopped using them about 2 years ago cause of how much spin they put on the ball. I play on fast Diamonds 95% of the time, and just too much for my style of play and stroke)

2 - G2 (stands for 'Grip Squared'. What I have been using since I stopped using Kamui Blacks. Absolutely love em..)

3 - Zan Premium (Tried the Zan Premium 'Grip Hard'. Really great tip, but still prefer the G2 Hard)

**Edit - OP said low maintenance. Kamui Black tips do require maintenance due to glazing..

I've also heard Navigator tips were really good, though I've never tried or installed one..

Last edited:

j2pac

Marital Slow Learner.
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Looking for opinions on what tip has the most grip. I am looking for a tip that holds chalk well and does not quickly glaze over. I have a wizard tip on my playing cue and looking for something with hopefully more grip when using English on the cue ball. Want a tip the doesn't require a lot of maintenance if possible too.

For my money, the "gripiest" I have experienced so far has been a G2.

WildWing

Super Gun Mod
Silver Member
There are some varied opinions, as usual. Hey, it's AZ, afterall...

All kidding aside, suggest you try a good dense Triangle. It's about the most coarse grain tip that I know of, so it holds chalk well. And, it's not expensive; I think you'll find what you want.

All the best,
WW

greyghost

Coast to Coast
Silver Member
There are some varied opinions, as usual. Hey, it's AZ, afterall...

All kidding aside, suggest you try a good dense Triangle. It's about the most coarse grain tip that I know of, so it holds chalk well. And, it's not expensive; I think you'll find what you want.

All the best,
WW

Right! My all time fave and Scott's tip on the was like high centered and it could rock back and forth. On his new revo. He thought I was picking and I said look closer.

His then another player with a cog tried it and had me install one.

Tramps 2% I would call a dudlet

I just wish someone had tips in gluten free

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RADAR

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
tips that get the most spin on whitey (imo), in order:

1 - kamui blacks (to me, hands down. So much so i stopped using them about 2 years ago cause of how much spin they put on the ball. I play on fast diamonds 95% of the time, and just too much for my style of play and stroke)

2 - g2 (stands for 'grip squared'. What i have been using since i stopped using kamui blacks. Absolutely love em..)

3 - zan premium (tried the zan premium 'grip hard'. Really great tip, but still prefer the g2 hard)

**edit - op said low maintenance. Kamui black tips do require maintenance due to glazing..

I've also heard navigator tips were really good, though i've never tried or installed one..

great tips have become my favorites after pushing 40 years playing pool!

Straightpool_99

I see dead balls
Silver Member
Looking for opinions on what tip has the most grip. I am looking for a tip that holds chalk well and does not quickly glaze over. I have a wizard tip on my playing cue and looking for something with hopefully more grip when using English on the cue ball. Want a tip the doesn't require a lot of maintenance if possible too.

I personally hate Kamui tips, but the super soft Kamui black is arguably the "grippiest" (is that even a word in English?) tip ever made. It will glaze, though. It's got so much grip that it actually becomes a problem for me, while playing, which is one of several reasons why I don't use it.

On the other end of the scale is the Zan grip hard, which is a hard tip with some grip to it. It does seem to grip the ball a little bit better than other hard tips IMO. Still you need to chalk this one carefully, as it is hard, after all.

If I had to make a recommendation to you in the softer range, that is not Kamui, it would have to be the Moori J. It holds chalk, grips the ball and is a dynamite tip overall. I don't like the hit, but it's just a personal preference, as I prefer firmer tips. I think this may be the best tip ever made in the medium-soft range.

Last edited:

Lesh

One Hole Thinkifier
Silver Member
I really LLLLLLLLike the black ultra skin...
VERY VERY CONSISTANT AND LOW MAINTENANCE

Like....

I use the Ultraskin Medium for one pocket and the Hard for clown pool (9-ball) Both are sticky and low-maintenance.

Lesh

Jimbojim

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
well right now, I'm playing with an Elk Master that was dipped in coffee cream and then compressed but they were made by my local cue repair guy and not by pooldawg8.

They are perfect tips but they require a lot of maintenance so I might just end up using them forever and deal with the shaping and mushrooming on a regular basis.

I'm starting to feel like eventually I'm gonna have to convert to a laminated tip. So I'm on a quest to find the softest laminated tip ever that requires the least maintenance...I know its a bit contradictory.

Some guys in here suggested the Zan Premium Soft, so I suggest you try this one as well.....and so will I!

Tramp Steamer

One Pocket enthusiast.
Silver Member
They tell me the new 4Skin tips from Steamer Cue Sports Ltd. are good.
Players just can't keep their hands off them. :rolleyes:

Kim Bye

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Peoples opinion is subjektive by nature, and players will judge a piece of equipment differently.
I don't claim to be an authority on cue tips, but I do install hundreds of tips each year and I have tried most products on the market.
I see Kamui, Zan and G2 has been compared.
Kamui Black/clear black SS is harder than G2 Soft, Zan Premium Soft and even Kamui original/clear original SS.
the Kamui Black tips is also less than stellar, when it comes to holding on to chalk and they glance over quickly, it's the tanning process that does it, the upside is that the tip holds its shape better than other very soft tips. To me, mushrooming is almost a non issue if the tip is installed and burnished correctely.
I would rate Zan Premium Soft, G2 Soft and Kamui Original SS as the 3 best performing Soft tips.

Last edited:

justadub

Rattling corners nightly
Silver Member

I'm not one to try and give advice regarding tips, I've only tried a few and don't have a great deal of experience to draw from regarding their differences.

I will tell you that any of the premium chalks out there will likely hold better on any brand of tip rather than using Masters. I've used Predator, Great White, Blue Diamond and Magic Chalk, and they all stay on the tip better than basic Masters, in my experience.

Yes, this will invoke all the awful chalk banter that annoys so many here, my apologies for that... :p

hang-the-9

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

I love my K-Tech Soft, it stayed soft for a long time, unlike my Kamui Soft, and has not needed a single touch of a tip tool aside from a scuff every few months. No mushrooming at all. At all. 0. None.