What Is The Most Over Rated Cue?

Maniac

2manyQ's
Silver Member
Too many to list. Don't believe me? Just go over to the Wanted/For Sale section and look at the many cues listed for enormous $$$ that the seller claims "hits a ton", or "plays lights out", etc. Hell, if there is THAT many cues that hit so great, why do they price them as if THEIR cue is the only one made that has a great hit to it (which is 100% subjective anyway)?

Why is one cuemakers wood, veneers, splices, etc. so much more costlier to a buyer than anothers?

Same reason a Hilfiger or Aeropostale $3.00 T-shirt sells for $25.00. It's all in the NAME, baby!!!

And.......us goofy Americans are gullible enough to pay over-inflated prices for almost ANYTHING that has a "name" to it and is the current fad!!!

Maniac

lstevedus

One of the 47%
Silver Member
Too many to list. Don't believe me? Just go over to the Wanted/For Sale section and look at the many cues listed for enormous $$$ that the seller claims "hits a ton", or "plays lights out", etc. Hell, if there is THAT many cues that hit so great, why do they price them as if THEIR cue is the only one made that has a great hit to it (which is 100% subjective anyway)?

Why is one cuemakers wood, veneers, splices, etc. so much more costlier to a buyer than anothers?

Same reason a Hilfiger or Aeropostale $3.00 T-shirt sells for $25.00. It's all in the NAME, baby!!!

And.......us goofy Americans are gullible enough to pay over-inflated prices for almost ANYTHING that has a "name" to it and is the current fad!!!

Maniac

What he said.

TheThaiger

Banned

More to the point, if they're so great, why are they for sale?

Sealegs50

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
A few comments:

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

The laws of supply and demand still hold.

A $2000 cue that can be sold in the future for $2500 is less expensive than a $200 cue that nobody would buy used.

I am glad that you are happy with the cues you own. I am happy with mine, too.

Greg

CocoboloCowboy

Cowboys are my hero's
Silver Member
Super Duper, Black Magic Chalk made by Elves in The Bavarian Forest that cost a gazillon dollars, and is nothing more than Lighter BLUE Chalk that goes on like LIP GLOSS.

SpiderWebComm

HelpImBeingOppressed
Silver Member
I think Southwest (for sure, after the last two I hit with -- def not worth the 10 year wait) and B. Szam --- I'm NOT saying he's not a good cue maker, but I see nothing in his cues that other contemporary cue makers don't have (and sell for 1/10th the price) other than his dad's name.

I think artistically, Black Boar has some of the most beautiful cues. Playability-wise, I think Lambros has the best hitting cue from cue to cue to cue... certainly most consistent in regards to the best hit.

poolhustler

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
My cheap Varney's play better than any high dollar cue that I have ever played with and I don't have to worry about them getting dinged up.

CocoboloCowboy

Cowboys are my hero's
Silver Member
My friend Lambros is a wonderful Playing Cue, my other friend Balabushka pictured below that he sold was one of the BEST Cue I ever hit with.

Attachments

• Cue7.jpg
    Cue7.jpg
    62.6 KB · Views: 1,459

Roger Long

Sonoran Cue Creations
Silver Member
My friend Lambros is a wonderful Playing Cue, my other friend Balabushka pictured below that he sold was one of the BEST Cue I ever hit with.

I remember that Balabushka. Your friend had me put that white delrin butt cap on it that you see in your picture. While the cue was in my shop, I hit with it (with the owner's permission, of course). Only one of its shafts still had the original ivory ferrule on it. The hit with that shaft was good. The hit with the other was only mediocre. That lead me to believe that ivory ferrules were probably the biggest "secret" behind the old-time cue makers' reputations for quality.

So, do I think Balabushkas are over rated? They weren't for their time. But for today, yes, I do.

Roger

measureman

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Maniac

This post says it all.
And just for the record my Lucasi hits as good as most of the cues I have tried. And knowing two cue collectors I have hit balls with some pretty high end cues.
But hit is subjective and thats just my opinion.