What is the one thing you did that improved your pool game a lot?

Snapshot9

son of 3 leg 1 eye dog ..
Silver Member
3 things

I did to improve the overall quality of my game.

First, pay conscious attention to my mechanics of my stroke making sure it is level and true.

Second, I reworked my break, my front break anyways. I could always break the balls pretty well, but I was erratic, and would frequently jump the table. So I reworked my form some, shortened up my stroke by 1-2", and concentrated on being more consistent with my break. It has worked out pretty well, although I use the 2nd ball break at least half of the time now.

Third, When I practice I practice banking, then banking, and more banking. This practice has made me a pretty good banker, and it has paid off countless times in games, mostly 8 ball, when I end up with a ball I have to bank for the win.

Sometimes you can play for years, and gradually slip into bad habits that bring down your game. You have to pay attention all the time to keep your game at the top.

Lock N Load

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I did to improve the overall quality of my game.

First, pay conscious attention to my mechanics of my stroke making sure it is level and true.

Second, I reworked my break, my front break anyways. I could always break the balls pretty well, but I was erratic, and would frequently jump the table. So I reworked my form some, shortened up my stroke by 1-2", and concentrated on being more consistent with my break. It has worked out pretty well, although I use the 2nd ball break at least half of the time now.

Third, When I practice I practice banking, then banking, and more banking. This practice has made me a pretty good banker, and it has paid off countless times in games, mostly 8 ball, when I end up with a ball I have to bank for the win.

Sometimes you can play for years, and gradually slip into bad habits that bring down your game. You have to pay attention all the time to keep your game at the top.

Hey Snapshot,
I appreciate your input into my thread. Man you said a lot in 3 things you do to improve your game. Thanks again.
Many Regards,
Lock N load.

JarrodE

Normal
Silver Member
Throughout my pool playing life there are several things I've learned.

A word of advice that I heard a long time ago was: hit more balls, there's nothing better for your game than experience.

Another thing is a pre-shot routine. I've never had one of these but I've heard it works for people and I imagine it'd actually do quite well for my game.

Recently my game has become a bit stagnant. I feel I'm not going to get much better than I already am and I think my biggest problem is mental. I feel I play alright but I lack a lot of confidence.

Then a few weeks ago I played in the team event at our state tournament. Wow! There was one rack where it came down to me winning thus our team winning the match or me losing and our team was out. I remembered something that was said by the character John Locke in the tv show Lost. He was talking about pressure and fear. He said let it in but only for three seconds. Count to three then take control and do what needs to be done. I did just that. At first I got really nervous about letting my team down. But I took a step back, counted to three, got down and ran out the rack. We went on to take second place out of 179 teams!

After that weekend my game has suddenly gotten much stronger. Playing at that level of competition really showed me that, one I have it in me, and two that playing weekly league or tournament matches are nothing compared to that and that has made those local games much easier.

Lock N Load

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Throughout my pool playing life there are several things I've learned.

A word of advice that I heard a long time ago was: hit more balls, there's nothing better for your game than experience.

Another thing is a pre-shot routine. I've never had one of these but I've heard it works for people and I imagine it'd actually do quite well for my game.

Recently my game has become a bit stagnant. I feel I'm not going to get much better than I already am and I think my biggest problem is mental. I feel I play alright but I lack a lot of confidence.

Then a few weeks ago I played in the team event at our state tournament. Wow! There was one rack where it came down to me winning thus our team winning the match or me losing and our team was out. I remembered something that was said by the character John Locke in the tv show Lost. He was talking about pressure and fear. He said let it in but only for three seconds. Count to three then take control and do what needs to be done. I did just that. At first I got really nervous about letting my team down. But I took a step back, counted to three, got down and ran out the rack. We went on to take second place out of 179 teams!

After that weekend my game has suddenly gotten much stronger. Playing at that level of competition really showed me that, one I have it in me, and two that playing weekly league or tournament matches are nothing compared to that and that has made those local games much easier.

Now, this is a very good story to help your pool game. I thank you for your post in my thread.
Many Regards,
Lock N Load.

Shaky1

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I probably have less confidence than most around here. Just a fact.
It used to be that if a guy ran a couple of racks to start a match, I thought it was over.
Somehow, somewhere, someway, I stopped thinking this way.
I now know that I can come back from this if I think I can.
Sometimes I do. I guess somewhere inside of me a little confidence exists.
I just need to find it more often. :smile:
Or maybe I just got tired of losing?

Last edited:

Lock N Load

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I probably have less confidence than most around here. Just a fact.
It used to be that if a guy ran a couple of racks to start a match, I thought it was over.
Somehow, somewhere, someway, I stopped thinking this way.
I now know that I can come back from this if I think I can.
Sometimes I do. I guess somewhere inside of me a little confidence exists.
I just need to find it more often. :smile:
Or maybe I just got tired of losing?

You are on the right track! Thanks for your input.
Many Regards,
Lock N Load.

FastManners

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Re-setting myself

It has been mentioned on here by someone else, but the number one thing that improved my game was learning to reset myself and walk back in to the shot if I am not comfortable.

DavidMNienow

Glamour Dave
Silver Member
The best thing I did to raise the quality of my game was to develop my own training regimen where I defined shot types that I needed to improve on, and I developed a set of record keeping forms to keep track of my levels of improvement, and finally I adopted the IPAT tests to measure the level of control I had in my fundamentals.

Together those efforts helped to seriously begin raising my level of play which then began to irritate the other players in my area, even more than they were before when they would play me. So I felt the training system I created for myself worked out very well.

Lock N Load

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The best thing I did to raise the quality of my game was to develop my own training regimen where I defined shot types that I needed to improve on, and I developed a set of record keeping forms to keep track of my levels of improvement, and finally I adopted the IPAT tests to measure the level of control I had in my fundamentals.

Together those efforts helped to seriously begin raising my level of play which then began to irritate the other players in my area, even more than they were before when they would play me. So I felt the training system I created for myself worked out very well.

david this is a very good post on your part. I thank you for your posting it in my thread.
Many Regards,
Lock N Load.

rugerfan

Got a Snakewood fetish...
Silver Member
Istarted playin with a OB classic pro shaft. The first time I hit it, I discovered I was hitting off center on the CB. It's a real simple concept and the 11.75mm tip showed how much throw I was really putting on the ball. I just bought another OB-CP blank to have matched up to two of my cues. Can't wait to see how this turns out!

incognito

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Fundamentals! Up until about 4 or 5 years I had no fundamentals and no consistency. I went to a 3 day class in Dallas with Randy G, a BCA master instructor, and he taught me fundamentals. It made my game significantly better, more so than anything else I've done.

I am talking about something that you found out about and tried it yourself and it worked real good! It does not matter what it was as long as it worked for your game improvement. Kicks, Banks, stance, aim, stroke, shooting slower, playing safeties, English, bridge position, more time on the table, and anything else that helped! Thanks.
Many Regards,
Lock n Load.

incognito

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I second that. Other than finally learning good fundamentals and developing an accurate, repeatable stroke, practicing Joe Tucker's material has improved my pool playing ability more than anything. I do most of his shots and drills on a pretty regular basis. I was a SL7 in 9-ball (I'm a SL8 now thanks to practicing Joe Tucker's material), and I won 2 9-ball matches 20-0. In one of the matches (a playoff match), my opponent only pocketed 2 balls the whole match and that was because I had a dry break in the last game of the match. I attribute my performance mainly to spending lots of hours practicing Joe Tucker's material.

two or three hours a session on Joe Tuckers guaranteed improvement drills. Started pool late in life and am not natural at it. Now only 3 or 4 regulars at my hall can beat me(weak room) . Been playing 5 years and many have been at it 15 to 30 years. Drills 2,4,&8 have improved my game the most and all 10 of them are gool. I do not play leage but seem to have easy wins over APA 6' s beat 7's mostly lose to 8's'. Usually have noticeable improvement about every 2 or 3 weeks- drill baby drill

incognito

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Another thing I did that significantly improved my game was to get a 7-inch extension made that screws into the butt cap of my cue. I shoot every shot with it, so I shoot with a 66 inch 22.5 ounce cue. I have a very wide stance and I grip way back on the cue, so even a 60 inch cue is too short for me. It was the main reason I went up from a SL7 to a SL8 in the APA 9-ball.

Blue Hog ridr

World Famous Fisherman.
Silver Member
Practice?
Last summer when everyone was taking a break from pool, my team mate and I hit the tables several times a week to keep our games up for winter league.

I can honestly say that my game did jump to the next plateau and I benefited from it immensely the next league season.

scsuxci

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
First,my temper was really,really bad and was told years ago by
top players, that was my biggest hurdle to concur to becoming a
top level player.Now my temper is fine but with work and kids,my
time on the table is limited.
Second,would be spinning the cue ball alot less and using more
natural angles and forgetting about the fancy crap.This has helped
my game ten-fold.
Third,and most important is realizing its a game and just enjoy it.