What is your 3 foul strategy? When do you go for it?

KoolKat9Lives

Taught 'em all I know
Silver Member
My virginity is gone... I got 3 fouled twice this week by the same crafty sonnofagun (you know who you are!). Once was at hill-hill for a bit of change. :mad: I've never experienced this dose of humble pie.

What are some of your more advanced tips as to when and why you go for 3 fouling your opponent?

Getting 3 fouled can really mess with your Mojo!

woody_968

BRING BACK 14.1
Silver Member
IMO you just have to look at the layout and play what the table gives you. The strength of your opponent can sometimes come into play as well.

When looking to possible 3 foul, is there a simple lock up safety to play for number two? And then, possibly even more important, is there a group of balls you can send the OB close to that would make playing the 3rd hook reasonable?

When you have ball in hand and plan on playing a safe, you have to have a plan for your next time to the table. All to often you will see players hook their opponent because of a problem on the table, but not do anything with the OB that will make dealing with that problem easier when they get back to the table!

Its all about reading the table and thinking several shots ahead.

Woody

P.S. spend plenty of time working on your kicks and getting 3 fouled will become much harder. Also, when your on two, ask yourself what can he do if I miss this hit. Sometimes your better off taking the foul and moving some balls to make it harder for him to get you on 3 if its a really difficult kick.

kryptonite9

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
There are several factors that I use. The two primary factors are:

1) How easy and lock tight is the safe?
2) How difficult is the runout with BIH?

You always have to remember that going for three fouls gives your opponent a chance when you already have BIH to runout. This cannot be under estimated. Nothing is worse than trying to go for 3 fouls and having a ball fluked in.

Other factors include:

1) How I am running out at the moment?
2) The strength of the opponents escapes from safes, ie kicking jumping.
If you opponent is a better mover than you, the runout may be better.
3) What is the mentality of the opponent? I know this is a bit sadistic but I have already played safes with easy outs just to get under the opponents skin. Some players cannot handle this type of play.

cmsmith9

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Great post by everyone. I see many people just playing safe without any strategy on where the object ball is going. So like the last poster said, figure out where you can place that object ball that will enable you to play another safe. One thing I find myself doing is trying to hide the cue ball AND hide the object ball at the same time. Sometimes I am doing way too much and leave both wide open. So if you're just learning, try to do one or the other at first.

Other strategies... place the object ball close to the 9 ball so you can play a combo/carom if they're close enough. Also, if you have a cluster on the table, you can play a safe to break up that cluster, or put the object ball near that cluster so if your opponent kicks at it, he may break it up too.

Also take into account if they have a jump cue or not. You might want to invest in one as well.

Christian

blah blah

Shoebat
I am volunteering my thoughts in the hopes of getting more ideas. Critiquing me is totally welcome.

I go for a 3foul when:

-it's a very weak player and I really really want to win
-the person has demonstrated several times that they can't kick in this match on this table, for whatever reason
-the opportunity is there from the layout and he's already on 1.

The last one is particularly good against a superior opponent because it's an insult.

other thoughts:
--In forcing foul # 2, plan for foul #3-- Don't pop the ob out into the middle of the table all by itself. Go for simple and small, if you can. Baby shots can make tighter safeties and better opportunites for later.

--When you have fouled once and it's clear the opponent is looking to force foul #2, watch closely. Sometimes the way he hit the ob in order to hide it can help you figure out how to hit it: what spin, speed, point on the rail did the ob need to get to where it is now, and can you use that with the cb now to hit the ob AND a rail? Even if this ultimately doesn't help your next shot, it makes you feel a whole lot more in control and keeps your brain on offense.

--if the 2nd safety is truly lock tight and you have no way in hell to hit it, you still have an opportunity to harm his 3rd safety with your 2nd foul shot. Can you break up the balls to give him less hiding spots? If there are only a couple or few balls left on the table, can you freeze those up and prevent an easy bih runout?

uwate

daydreaming about pool
Silver Member
spend a moment to consider what kicking paths your opponent will have. Alot of times you will discover that you can easily place the cueball and the object ball in places that will cut off many paths.

stuckart

Paint Dry Watching Champ
Silver Member
One particular time that I go for 3 fouls more often than not is when my opponent breaks and scratches (flies it off the table). You always come across players that try and hit them as hard as possible without control. When they scratch that means they didn't hit a full hit on the 1 ball and most likely have 8 or 9 balls on the table and a few clusters. You have BIH and can usually hide pretty easy and they are on 2 right away.

Or course you have to take everything into account that others have said.

I also like to 3 foul and sometimes just 1 or 2 foul my opponent if I know it puts them on Tilt. It disrupts their routine and inserts doubt in their minds. Then you have the whole match won and not just one game.

mandersotx

"Show Me the Moni"
Silver Member
3 foul rule -- you either love it or you don't

I have been 3-fouled on many occasions, that is pretty much when I don't like it.

I remember one time when I did entertain the 3 fouls and lucky for me, it worked out. Unfortunately, I did it to a fellow teammate and she has been traumatized forever!!! She now is playing kickball on league nights instead of pool :eek:

She is still one of my best friends though and always will be.

Toodles,
Zsa Zsa

12squared

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Another reason I try to hook my opponent, which may lead to a 3-foul win, is when I am struggling making balls or running out. Playing safe gets me in stroke because it removes the stress of "having" to run out and I’m still trying to control the cue ball. While I'm playing safe to try to win, up pops opportunities to 3-foul my opponent. It's kind of fun. Anyway, it’s easier to run out 4-5 balls than 8-9 when you're struggling. :eek:

I don't know if this answers your question, but others did a good job of that. Just sharing one thought process to why one would try to win by playing safe.

I was chased around the table once by someone who has never been 3-fouled before (so he said), it was hilarious...and I think it was in fun, but not 100% sure.

Dave

dr2112

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
One particular time that I go for 3 fouls more often than not is when my opponent breaks and scratches (flies it off the table). You always come across players that try and hit them as hard as possible without control. When they scratch that means they didn't hit a full hit on the 1 ball and most likely have 8 or 9 balls on the table and a few clusters. You have BIH and can usually hide pretty easy and they are on 2 right away.

Or course you have to take everything into account that others have said.

I also like to 3 foul and sometimes just 1 or 2 foul my opponent if I know it puts them on Tilt. It disrupts their routine and inserts doubt in their minds. Then you have the whole match won and not just one game.

I am definitely more inclined to attempt a 3 foul when my opponent scratches on the break and the balls are rather cluttered. I also like the putting the player on "TILT"

Another time I will use this strategy is in the end game when my opponent intentionally scratches and ties up a ball. Often I will give them back the ball in hand, thus forcing them to make the riskier move.

tjlmbklr

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Easy question to answer; When there are a lot of tied up balls that can act as blockers to hide whitey tight against. When the percentage is higher to try to run that type of table out over attempting a 3 foul I go for it every time. And even if they do kick at the OB and make contact they might very well break open some of the cluster f*ck that made the run out hard to begin with.

cuesmith

BEEN THERE, DONE THAT!
Silver Member
My virginity is gone... I got 3 fouled twice this week by the same crafty sonnofagun (you know who you are!). Once was at hill-hill for a bit of change. :mad: I've never experienced this dose of humble pie.

What are some of your more advanced tips as to when and why you go for 3 fouling your opponent?

Reminds me of the time my old road partner, Gary Spaeth, and I were playing a 9-ball match in a small local tourney. I made a 9 on the break and ran a couple of racks getting to the hill in a race to 5 before Gary had scored a game. I got a little cocky and told him that I was finally going to beat him a match. (which I'd never done before) Needless to say, I shoulda kept my big mouth shut! He won 5 straight to beat me and 3 fouled me twice in the process! I never had air to shoot at from the time I smarted off! I sure miss that sum*****!

just more hot air!

Sherm

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
I have been 3-fouled on many occasions, that is pretty much when I don't like it.

I remember one time when I did entertain the 3 fouls and lucky for me, it worked out. Unfortunately, I did it to a fellow teammate and she has been traumatized forever!!! She now is playing kickball on league nights instead of pool :eek:

She is still one of my best friends though and always will be.

Toodles,
Zsa Zsa

I like anybody that uses Toodles, especially named Zsa Zsa. :grin:

the420trooper

Free T-Rex
Silver Member
That's because it's usually preferable to keep your opponent in his/her chair. Any time you let your opponent to the table, crazy things can happen.

Agreed. I don't know how many times I've had an opponent on 2 fouls, and totally buried, then he makes a ridiculous 4 rail kick to feather the OB and hook ME...and I kick, sell out, and lose...

I think it's better to bet on your own skills, and try to run out, than bet on your opponent's weaknesses. (Assuming the runout is possible)

The only time I go for 3 fouls is when the table layout is so clusterfied that a runout isn't available, even for Efren.

Big Perm

1pkt 14.1 8 Banks 9 10
Silver Member

Unless in a tourney, I don't play 3-foul....and even some tournies don't play with the 3 foul rule.....that's how I avoid it :grin:

3 foul messes with my mojo.....I don't like it....I can appreciate a good defensive shot.....but for me, winning like that is not winning at all.....I put it in the category of dumping.....and I got zero issues telling the other player what I think about it :grin:

Not saying I'm right, just saying that is how I roll :wink:

the420trooper

Free T-Rex
Silver Member
Unless in a tourney, I don't play 3-foul....and even some tournies don't play with the 3 foul rule.....that's how I avoid it :grin:

3 foul messes with my mojo.....I don't like it....I can appreciate a good defensive shot.....but for me, winning like that is not winning at all.....I put it in the category of dumping.....and I got zero issues telling the other player what I think about it :grin:

Not saying I'm right, just saying that is how I roll :wink:

I'm guessing you haven't 3 fouled many people....It's one of the sweetest ways to win. That defeated, lifeless slump that they get after 3 fouls is unlike any runout you've ever put on them.

Pocketing a 9 or 10 ball against someone who never got to the table, isn't nearly as magical as winning a game against someone who had 3 separate chances to make a legal shot.

I think most people are happier if you break and run a 5 pack, because they can tell themselves, "If I'd gotten to the table, I could've won."

If you give them 3 innings at the table in the same game, and they don't win, that excuse is no longer an option...