What is your personal defination of a Custom Cue???

I will give you what I consider a TRUE CUE CUE later today!

Any cue that you can specify requirements and specs for the cue prior of it being built excluding wrap type and tips.

and yes if you order a Viking and ask for a certain stain or a different joint that is not the default for the model then it has been customize for you...
 
"custom-made: made according to the specifications of an individual." For some reason when i think of custom anything, i would think there is only one person, or family, doing the making and quality control. This usually means that 'Production' is slow. However, quality and detail can be outstanding.
 
A custom cue is a cue made to the specifications that I or another buyer stipulate. I can buy an old cue and call it a custom cue knowing that it was made for some one even if not for me. Not just a production model sold to the general public.
 
One that leaves a custom-looking mark when it gets conked over your head.

That's funny[as the crowd shouts:Jerry Jerry]..My ideal is specs you desired,tapper,butt weight, tip type etc,but most of all,you gotta have some sort of emblem burned or eched in.but not over your head..lol
 
:wink:Here is my idea:

First you decide on Wood, or Woods.

Rings, or no Rings.

Inlays, Points, or Plane Jane

Weight if Butt Section, and diameter of Butt.

Pin Choice

Joint Choice

Butt Cap Color Material

Over all Weight Together.

Weight of Shafts, or Shafts.

Ferrule Material.

Tips.

Taper of Shafts.

Basically what you like, not like a Cue you picked up at BCA, DCC, or that a cue maker was selling.

Kind of like when I wore suits everyday, and shirts and tie.

I use to go over to Pasadena almost yearly, there was a gentleman who flew in from Hong Kong, he was a True Custom Tailor, and he set up in a hotel room. Worked by appointment.

There were pictures of STYLE of Suits in his catalogue, more fabric samples, and buttons them I ever say in one place. I always bought Two Suits, and about 6 or 8 Shirts, the shirt material was like 300 fabric and color combinations, and everything was made to your measurements.

In the end I paid the guy, and in about 4-6 weeks my NEW SUITS and Shirts showed up, and they fit like they were made for me, and they were.

Best part the price was about 10-15 more than if I went to Dormans a Mens Shop in LA, bought off the RACK, and had them tailored to fit.

Custom was always better,:wink:
 
Buy any cue. Change the wrap, change the tip, change the taper, change the ferrule, change the shaft, add a few things here and there until I really F..ked it up. Then sell it as one of a kind, best hitting, and looking cue that I have ever seen. That is a custom cue.
 
Buy any cue. Change the wrap, change the tip, change the taper, change the ferrule, change the shaft, add a few things here and there until I really F..ked it up. Then sell it as one of a kind, best hitting, and looking cue that I have ever seen. That is a custom cue.

Tap, tap, tap. You get my vote!:rotflmao::rotflmao::rotflmao:!
 
Im thinking a meucci, with one of them springy door stopper dilly whoppers added would be a TRUE custom cue :cool:

Then you would have a custom sound to go with it.....boiiiiinng....when you hit the cueball.....boiiiinnnnnggggg

And also, you could play with the springy thingy when your in a "certain" mood.....
 
Personally, I build cues the way I want to. My dimensions & taper shapes are not optional. The customer can choose weight, balance, tip diameter from 12.5-13.25mm, and can have input on materials & overall design. It'll certainly be a one of a kind, but is it actually custom?

By definitions & ideas I read, my cues do not fit the custom mold. However, if they are not custom, what exactly would they be? There's no plausible way they can be labelled as production cues. So if they are not production cues, they are custom, unless you create a new sub-category of cues & I don't see that happening.

The term custom is broad & can be interpreted to fit anybody's ideas. The simple truth is we are dealing with pool cues and there's two popular types of cues, production & custom. If it was built in a factory and/or is a production model number, then it's production. If it is one of a kind, it's custom, regardless if it's custom designed by the customer or by the builder. Even this leaves a huge grey area inbetween, but most generally people who know cues can quickly identify if a cue is production or custom.
 
Personally, I build cues the way I want to. My dimensions & taper shapes are not optional. The customer can choose weight, balance, tip diameter from 12.5-13.25mm, and can have input on materials & overall design. It'll certainly be a one of a kind, but is it actually custom?

By definitions & ideas I read, my cues do not fit the custom mold. However, if they are not custom, what exactly would they be? There's no plausible way they can be labelled as production cues. So if they are not production cues, they are custom, unless you create a new sub-category of cues & I don't see that happening.

The term custom is broad & can be interpreted to fit anybody's ideas. The simple truth is we are dealing with pool cues and there's two popular types of cues, production & custom. If it was built in a factory and/or is a production model number, then it's production. If it is one of a kind, it's custom, regardless if it's custom designed by the customer or by the builder. Even this leaves a huge grey area inbetween, but most generally people who know cues can quickly identify if a cue is production or custom.

In wine, when you want to describe a small winery that only produce certain type of wine in low quantities you call it a "boutique winery"
I find this description suitable to many small cue shops.

So here I start a new niche in pool cue - BOUTIQUE POOL CUE

Will it catch? :rolleyes:
 
It will only be labeled a custom cue when you install an authentic imitation Irish Linen wrap and a new, custom screw on tip.
 
Personally, I build cues the way I want to. My dimensions & taper shapes are not optional. The customer can choose weight, balance, tip diameter from 12.5-13.25mm, and can have input on materials & overall design. It'll certainly be a one of a kind, but is it actually custom?

By definitions & ideas I read, my cues do not fit the custom mold. However, if they are not custom, what exactly would they be? There's no plausible way they can be labelled as production cues. So if they are not production cues, they are custom, unless you create a new sub-category of cues & I don't see that happening.

The term custom is broad & can be interpreted to fit anybody's ideas. The simple truth is we are dealing with pool cues and there's two popular types of cues, production & custom. If it was built in a factory and/or is a production model number, then it's production. If it is one of a kind, it's custom, regardless if it's custom designed by the customer or by the builder. Even this leaves a huge grey area inbetween, but most generally people who know cues can quickly identify if a cue is production or custom.

If it ain't you and ten chinamen pulling them one right after another out of some mass-pro machine, then it's a custom! Lol! No offense to the chinamen. Sorry, just having some fun. :rolleyes:
 
My definition of a custom cue is one specifically made for a customer. Customer/custom.
I don't consider a Schon STL-11 a custon cue, nor do I consider a Black Boar one-off a custom cue.
 
My definition of a custom cue is one specifically made for a customer. Customer/custom.
I don't consider a Schon STL-11 a custon cue, nor do I consider a Black Boar one-off a custom cue.

The fact that you put Schon, and Black Boar in the same mention, is at the very least a felony punishable by flogging. :eek: Lol!
 
My definition of a custom cue is one specifically made for a customer. Customer/custom.
I don't consider a Schon STL-11 a custon cue, nor do I consider a Black Boar one-off a custom cue.

So exactly what would the BB be? The Schon STL-11 is certainly a production model, but there's nothing production about a BB one off. If it was totally his idea, design & specs, then it's still a custom cue custom built by him to his specifications. It may not be custom fit to a buyer, but it's certainly still custom. Custom means it was built to fit somebody.....but there's no specification saying for whom it can be built for.

I agree with your notion, but there's no technicality to categorize your feelings. We have custom and we have production, nothing else. 99%+ of the cue world would consider the BB to be a custom. So it's essentially a custom cue by the commonly accepted idea of what a custom cue is.

You have the BB & are playing with it in a room, and some guy comes up to ask about the cue. He asks if it's custom or production. What would you tell him? Would you give him a lecture about how you felt it was neither & explain why, or would you simply say, "custom", so you could get back to playing your game?
 
You have the BB & are playing with it in a room, and some guy comes up to ask about the cue. He asks if it's custom or production. What would you tell him? Would you give him a lecture about how you felt it was neither & explain why, or would you simply say, "custom", so you could get back to playing your game?

I would tell him that it's a BLACK BOAR

A guy see you at the stop light in a red car, and ask production or custom? You say it's a FERRARI, you don't say that it's a custom car, even if the seats where customized for your body... even if it's one of a kind
 
Back
Top