what is youre favorite pin?

ironworker78

breaker 1-9ner
Silver Member
I was just wondering what youre favorite pin is? In the cue you play with and why?
Mine is the 3/8x11 brass the southwest style, becouse of the solid hit it gives..... but thats my choice what is youres?

Varney Cues

Handcrafted quality!
Silver Member
I prefer the 3/8-10 brass SW style....like the one below.:)

Attachments

• 081106_ (12).JPG
    081106_ (12).JPG
    97.4 KB · Views: 940

mdavis228

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
I've gone entirely to piloted 5/16-14 joints. Would consider something else in a JB or jump, but I use X Breaker JB's, so they have that joint, too. The Predator Air I use as a close hopper is a quick radial of some variety.
I think the feel & response of the piloted joint has more "life" to it.

PDX

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
stainless vs brass

I have a cue with a stainless 3/8x10 flat bottomed pin, AKA SW style. Does anyone have both a stainless and a brass to offer a difference in feel? Naturally, all other properties of the cues would have to be identical to truely state the specific differences, but a general idea would be good enough for me.

DJKeys

Sound Design
Silver Member
I was just wondering what youre favorite pin is? In the cue you play with and why?
Mine is the 3/8x11 brass the southwest style, becouse of the solid hit it gives..... but thats my choice what is youres?

All of my favorite cues have had either 3/8x10 or 3/8x11 with flat-faced joints. Type of pin material is usually geared to cue weight and balance and hasn't made much difference to me.

Bluegrass 3/8x11 Brass
MasonH 3/8x10 G-10
Howard 3/8x11 Brass
Prewitt 3/8x10 SS

ironworker78

breaker 1-9ner
Silver Member
i have both 3/8x11 brass and alumi....the brass gives a much more solid hit when the alumi gives a more softer hit ...both are in ivory though.. personal choice....:grin-square:

Monto P2

Asia Billiards
Silver Member
3x8/11 Sw style brass pin.

IMO Brass pin hit best because of the density of the metal.

Ken_4fun

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I like the "quickness" of uniloc.

The 5/16 -14 piloted felt pretty good.

But for solid feel, the SW style does seem to be best.

Ken

tlayne

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Pins

I just recently got a Joss JSM-50, it came with a 5/16 pin which was similar to my Pechauers 5/16 quick release. Wasn't too sureabout Joss cues but man I really like it. I used to shoot with 3 diffrent cues and ended up putting them all away and made the Joss my main player. The beauty of it is that all of my shafts from my Pechauers fit perfect. But my Joss shafts dont fit the Pechauers. Smartshaft x2, Predator Z2, OB-1, Tiger Ultra. Would like to try SW pin and always like to go back and play with my first cue ever bought which has 3/8 x 10. Sorry reply is so long.

ridewiththewind

♥ Hippie Hustler ♥
Silver Member
As a general rule, I prefer a 3/8x11 pin, with the joint being flat-faced. However, I have a cue with a piloted SS 5/16x18 pin that plays every bit as well as a flat-faced 3/8x11.

I think more important than the joint type or pin size is also the woods used in any given cue can dictate which pin might provide the optimum feel.

I also feel that certain makers have honed in their focus on a particular pin and joint type, and that is what makes THEIR cues play as well as they do....Keith Josey and his use of the Radial pin/flat-faced joint is but one example that comes to mind. Another would be Dennis Searing's piloted 5/16x14 SS 1/2 joint.

As I have gotten older and wiser I have come to realize that it's more about quality construction overall that dictates how well a cue will play...and that by overlooking certain cues because they do not fit into a preferred pin-type, you are doing both yourself and the maker a disservice.

Lisa

classiccues

Don't hashtag your broke friends
Silver Member
5/16-14 in piloted steel or ivory (non-sleeved)... Good enuff for George and Gus, good enuff for me...

JV

LILJOHN30

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I perfer a radial pin or 3/8 x 10,but my current cue is a 3/8 x 10 ss 1/2 joint and I think I found etopia

PetToilet

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
any radial 3/8 pin, less prone to wear, less turns to attach, looks real purty, cant cut my fingers on it.

although those new 3/8 s look nice

Last edited: