What kind of home table

livemusic

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Curious... what kind/model/size/cloth of home table would you recommend for play for casual players who play 8 ball in bars (and hopefully find some more players that are more into pool), assuming money isn't that much of a concern, within reason. And how much does a good table cost? My dad bought my 1974 Brunswick Windsor and I assume it was not top of the line but a decent table. Needs cloth/work now. If you wanted a "good" one, what are the specs and cost? I am ignorant on this.

easy-e

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Curious... what kind/model/size/cloth of home table would you recommend for play for casual players who play 8 ball in bars (and hopefully find some more players that are more into pool), assuming money isn't that much of a concern, within reason. And how much does a good table cost? My dad bought my 1974 Brunswick Windsor and I assume it was not top of the line but a decent table. Needs cloth/work now. If you wanted a "good" one, what are the specs and cost? I am ignorant on this.

Diamond bar table. Perfect casual home table, IMO.

strmanglr scott

All about Focus
Silver Member
I would love to have a Diamond home table. There was one floating around on cl for a couple months in great condition for $3500. Which is a good deal, but still too much for me.

If that is beyond reason, look for a newer Valley. They're solid tables and often what you find in bars. I see them on cl frequently for around $6-800.

I've got Mueller's Basalt cloth waiting to go on. Which is what my league bar uses, v fast cloth.

Last edited:

livemusic

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
If u have room for a 9 ft table, buy one. Anything smaller isnt pool.....IMHO

Do casual players enjoy 9 ft tables? Beyond the initial, "Hey, he's got a NINE FOOT TABLE" pride, is it enjoyable?

On that note, what's easier to play on, an 8 ft table or 7 ft?

I Got Lucky

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Casual golfers dont play miniature golf, they play on the same size courses as professionals. Get a 9 footer with large pockets....IMHO
Do casual players enjoy 9 ft tables? Beyond the initial, "Hey, he's got a NINE FOOT TABLE" pride, is it enjoyable?

Buster8001

Did you say shrubberies?
Silver Member

No, casual players do not enjoy pool on the big tables. The sentiment above is one of ignorance. I have a GC1, and after a while only my advanced level league mates would come over to shoot with me.

The second question, only you can answer. The game is not easy, so the table in question is moot. I love my GC. I also enjoy shooting league on the box.

If you're a casual player, only concerned with shooting league and/or small local tournaments, then I would recommend a Valley bar box. It's a good, solid table that will last. Also, check Craigslist for used tables in your area. Sometimes, you get lucky. Right now, I have a Brunswick 8ft I can't give a way sitting in storage; and, my father has an AMF Playmaster also in storage, he too cannot give away. No one wants them in our area right now.

Josh

easy-e

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Casual golfers dont play miniature golf, they play on the same size courses as professionals. Get a 9 footer with large pockets....IMHO

There is a HUUUUUGE difference between the courses played on by pros and casual golfers.

Comparing bar table pool to mini-golf is not a fair comparison.

livemusic

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

I'm not sure that's true. Golfers seem to do EXACTLY what I asked about pool players. They enjoy an easier track day to day where birdies can be had and, once in a blue moon, go play a top-rated course with much more difficulty for bragging rights. "Hey, we played Bethpage Black course last weekend from the tips, set up just like the pro's play it... 7,400 yards long and tightass fairways... nobody broke 90!"

FWIW, I don't know much about pool but I know a lot about golf. Former scratch golfer.

livemusic

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
... Right now, I have a Brunswick 8ft I can't give a way sitting in storage; and, my father has an AMF Playmaster also in storage, he too cannot give away. No one wants them in our area right now.

Josh

You saying that you can't give them away because they are 8 ft? People want 7 ft? That really surprises me... for a free table of pretty much any size, seems somebody would take it. But I guess not many people have a room that is free and available. Or either there just isn't much demand for pool tables! Are pool tables hard as pianos to give away lol?

Buster8001

Did you say shrubberies?
Silver Member
You saying that you can't give them away because they are 8 ft? People want 7 ft? That really surprises me... for a free table of pretty much any size, seems somebody would take it. But I guess not many people have a room that is free and available. Or either there just isn't much demand for pool tables! Are pool tables hard as pianos to give away lol?

Nothing to do with them being 8ft, I think. Just not a huge demand. Yes, same as pianos, once you have one you better intend on keeping it.

Josh

K2Kraze

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
An 8’er.

If you like short and sweet answers, don’t read below. It’s all drivel.

Good thing it’s called an “opinion” - because I’m surprised every day at the answers I see posted by members from around the planet on this topic of table size.

An opinion: a view or judgment formed about something, not necessarily based on fact or knowledge.

There you have it.

It’s a view. A belief.

Here’s mine.

Let me ask all you fine folks that actually DO NOT HAVE a pool table: IF you were invited over to a fellow player’s home for an afternoon of games, you’d ask what size it was? Is it in your garage or up stairs that you’ll need to climb? Gee - what color is the cloth (or do you call it felt?). A Brunswick, Diamond or one of a hundred other makers?

Or are you the kind of player that loves playing on ANY table - anywhere? And wouldn’t even think of asking what size table it is?

Two types of folks I see:

1) have issues with their skills and confidence and think for one second that table size has anything to do with their game.
2) those that will play on anything anywhere anytime with anyone. And play their best. And be damn good at it. They’ll embrace the man and his table.

My pal Tony has a 40 year old Gandy in his mousy garage that looks like they did oil testing on his concrete for at least 25 years (and he plays in white athletic socks) - NO AC of course and it was 94° the other day playing in there. At 10am. Sweating? Of course. Cloth that looks like a platform for his evening dog grooming business.

- but he moves his car so I can park in his driveway and not the street. He makes breakfast like he’s a chef from the nearby Waffle House but dumps the biscuits on the table and not a plate. He buys my favorite creamer and I never asked. And yep- he’s had guys over to play ONCE that never came back. The conditions weren’t conducive to good play, they say.

67388d790e46c4cf7fb1442c95cdfd9e.jpg

A few obstacles perhaps...

cfd1c83f3ba1b1f4166a821ae6d8dbfa.jpg

We can still run balls like no tomorrow.

My opinion : get whatever table you love and have room for. Wherever you want to put it. Period. And I’ll play on it with you. And have 10 friends in tow that’ll do the same. Traipsing through dog hair and droppings - or on fine carpets from India. I’ll wear a Speedo or my Tux. Jeans even. A tracksuit if its an OG invite. A miniskirt if it’s for charity.

An 8’er. 7 or 9. Bigfoot or fold-up.

~ K.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

hang-the-9

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

If you want to buy a table, you are going past "casual" player, unless you are getting it as an accessory for the house and something to do like having a TV instead of actually working on your game. If you can fit a 9 footer and you actually want to get better, get a 9 footer. If not, get a 7 footer. 7' Diamonds are great but then you end up hating every other bar table you play on. If you already have a table, then just get new cloth, maybe rails if yours are dead and get it leveled.

jokrswylde

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
^^^ This guy gets it. I have a valley in my man cave. It has good rubber, new cloth, and is built like a freaking tank. If I had unlimited room, I would maybe look for a 9 footer, but here's the thing, almost EVERYWHERE you play nowadays is 7 footers.

I am lucky that I play league on the big tables. Here's the thing, I MAY be 1 ball better in a game of 8 ball on barbox. On many nights, I find 8 ball to be easier on the big tables. Plenty of room to work whitey and mistakes in positioning are much more forgiving. The barbox is a traffic jam, and you overrun position a couple inches and it could mess up your whole plan.

You will have fun if you get a 7 footer. The fundamentals of pool don't change. A straight stroke is the same on any size table.

Robert58

AzB Gold Member
Silver Member
In the early 60's when they made it legal to play 9-Ball in a pool hall in Texas. Most pool halls had 8' tables. That's what I started playing on and it is still my favorite. I play in bars on mostly Valleys. One pool hall / restaurant in town has eight Diamonds.

For most casual players an 8' table is not intimidating and it is the best size table to practice on if you play mostly on 7' bar tables.

I would love to have an 8' Gold Crown.

measureman

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

I've been measuring houses for floor coverings for 40 years.
I've been in thousands of homes.
90 % or better that have pool tables are loaded with laundry or other stuff.
People buy them and soon get bored and re purpose them.

Ghosst

Broom Handle Mafia
Silver Member
Each table size has its own pros and cons.

7' is a standard size for a bar and most casual players will be used to it. Lots of ball clusters to deal with so your position needs to be good. The pockets tend to be (but are not always) large.

8' is a home table size and great for that in-between that gives a little more distance and yet still find lots of clusters to work on. The pockets are usually medium to large (4.5" - 5") but you can have them shimmed.

9' is pro/commercial size. Few clusters but lots of distance. Pockets and shelf depth varies.

There are of course 10' and 12' tables as well.

I'm quite happy with my 8'. I didn't think I would be but at the price I paid it's a good start. I'm still working on the room itself between games that I am finishing before I move back up to the 9'. I wouldn't turn down a free 7' if it fell into my lap.

desmocourtney

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
This post made sifting through all the political crap worth it. Thanks!

CC

My opinion : get whatever table you love and have room for. Wherever you want to put it. Period. And I’ll play on it with you. And have 10 friends in tow that’ll do the same. Traipsing through dog hair and droppings - or on fine carpets from India. I’ll wear a Speedo or my Tux. Jeans even. A tracksuit if its an OG invite. A miniskirt if it’s for charity.

An 8’er. 7 or 9. Bigfoot or fold-up.

~ K.

Type79

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
If you have room for a 9 foot table buy a 9 foot table. imo, 8 foot tables are purchased by people with smaller rooms. My son-in-law has an 8 foot Olhausen and quite frankly I prefer to not even play pool when at his house.

With the market for tables being a buyers market, unless you prefer a Diamond, there is no reason not to buy a Gold Crown. Depending upon the region of the country, they can be purchased for almost pocket change.