What % of players can run 100+ in straight pool

Michael Andros

tiny balls, GIANT pockets
Silver Member
I think if you counted only those players who actually *play* 14.1 ( ones who regularly practice it ), the figure would be somewhere around 5%? I base that on the fact that the only people who *DO* play it regularly are pretty serious about the game. As such, it means they are *most likely* fairly good players to begin with. I would guess the average high runs for that group would be @ 40 to 45.

Of course it's all speculation on my part.

j13smiley

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I can run racks of 8 and 9 ball... as much as i want to play straight pool - i completely suck at it and immediately get disenchanted. Afraid to commit to a goal of running 100 someday at this point.

ChrisinNC

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I think if you counted only those players who actually *play* 14.1 ( ones who regularly practice it ), the figure would be somewhere around 5%? I base that on the fact that the only people who *DO* play it regularly are pretty serious about the game. As such, it means they are *most likely* fairly good players to begin with. I would guess the average high runs for that group would be @ 40 to 45.

Of course it's all speculation on my part.
I would consider 5% as a high estimate even for regular amateur 14.1 players. If you considered all 14.1 players currently participating in all 14.1 leagues around the country, I'd guess certainly no more than 1 in 50 has ever even run 100 balls as their lifetime high run, and far less than that having done it with regularity. Obviously we'll never know the answer to this question, but a more appropriate and likely more realistic guesstimates on this question should be referred to the 14.1 forum, as that forum is made up of players who predominantly play 14.1.

Last edited:

one stroke

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I know a few Shaun Wilki , Mike Davis , Andy Lincoln Alan Duty Rick Mollinaro , and Ryan McCressh who ran over 200 , I'd say the list of top pro's capable of a 100 is well over 50% given enough time to practice

My bad I see it was with regularity, that would be less than 5% I'd think

Last edited:

KMRUNOUT

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The guy who taught me to play would often run a 100+, I never thought that was spectacular as a kid, though I don't see many people running it these days, myself included.

Based on your experiences, what percentage of players do you think can break 100 with some regularity?
(5% 10%, more?)

5 or 10 % is nuts. We’re probably talking less than a tenth of 1%. That would be my guess.

KMRUNOUT

Sent from my iPhone using AzBilliards Forums

ChrisinNC

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I know a few Shaun Wilki , Mike Davis , Andy Lincoln Alan Duty Rick Mollinaro , and Ryan McCressh who ran over 200 , I'd say the list of top pro's capable of a 100 is well over 50% given enough time to practice

No question with that statement - top pros given enough time to practice - well over 50% could run 100.

jrctherake

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
If you really want to know how many:

Go to the 14.1 ghost challenge thread...

The % is there....and its REALLY, REALLY, REALLY low....

Michael Andros

tiny balls, GIANT pockets
Silver Member
I would consider 5% as a high estimate even for regular amateur 14.1 players. If you considered all 14.1 players currently participating in all 14.1 leagues around the country, I'd guess certainly no more than 1 in 50 has ever even run 100 balls as their lifetime high run, and far less than that having done it with regularity. Obviously we'll never know the answer to this question, but a more appropriate and likely more realistic guesstimates on this question should be referred to the 14.1 forum, as that forum is made up of players who predominantly play 14.1.

Chris - I had no idea there *were* any 14.1 leagues. I don't keep up with that stuff as I'm not a fan of leagues, period, but I've never heard a 14.1 even mentioned, ever... So my estimate of 5% is based as I said earlier, on only those players ( obviously non-league ) who regularly practice / play 14.1 ( which is an extrermely small number, %-wise, of all people who play pool in total ). I think 5% is probably pretty fair. But, again, simply my opinion.

jrctherake

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

TOP pros?

Lol.....100% of the top pros can run a 100 with just a little practice.

Now, the AVERAGE ranked pro? Yeah 50% range.

book collector

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The number of people who "ran 100s" back in the day is related to the number of people who "put themselves through college" playing pool, imo.

hahahahahaha, there are certainly a lot more of them on here, than I remember in the pool rooms too.
Then you have the group that received a government check each month or inherited a stack of money, or mom and dad gave them 50 a week to keep out of the house, who were always at the pool room ,playing dollar nine ball and pretending to be making their living playing pool.
It may have been a posssibility during the 60s and maybe even the 70s ,if you went to a free community college, but after that, I think it's an illusion.{Or delusion}.

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
At least once a month.
In the past Pool & Billiard magazine published a summary of the annual survey by the SGMA (Sporting Goods Manuf. Assoc., later National Sporting Goods Association?) of participation in the US in 37 sport/leisure activities. I recall that the playing at least once per year number was something like 10% of the US population. The most recent info I could find (without searching through P&B or paying $325 for a copy of the survey results), is that participation is now about 7%. That would be about 25 million in the US. A separate study shows that monthly or more often participants are about 60% of the total number. That would put core pool players in the US at about 15 million in 2018.

(If you need a more accurate, official number I guess you will have to get the report from the NSGA.)

(Edit: A brief search through back issues of P&B shows that they stopped covering the SGMA/NSGA report about 2003.)

gxman

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Top US Fargo 100 is 712+.

Probably 75% of them can run 100+.

So I'm venturing to guess maybe 150 US players
can run 100+.

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Top US Fargo 100 is 712+.

Probably 75% of them can run 100+.

So I'm venturing to guess maybe 150 US players
can run 100+.
The OP's requirement was "regularly":
Based on your experiences, what percentage of players do you think can break 100 with some regularity?
(5% 10%, more?)

But if your 150 number is correct, that would put the percentage of "core" pool players in the US who are 100 ball runners at 0.001%

jrctherake

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The OP's requirement was "regularly":

But if your 150 number is correct, that would put the percentage of "core" pool players in the US who are 100 ball runners at 0.001%

0.001% can be a much bigger number than thought if the onlooker steps into reality:thumbup:

ribdoner

SATISFACTION GUARANTEED
Silver Member
out of the tens of thousands players in the memphis metroplex i can think of two that have run over 100 balls, one of them did it once to the tune of 108 and i'm sure the other has done it multiple times

there are probably 3 to 5 more players that would run over a hundred within 6 months if they applied themselves to achieving that goal