What order to shoot the stripes with ball in hand?

elyons

Playing 8 ball with the layout given shooting stripes starting with ball in hand. What order do you shoot the balls and path if possible for easiest runout? Thanks.

8BallRunOutStripesWithBallInHand.png

buckshotshoey

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Playing 8 ball with the layout given shooting stripes starting with ball in hand. What order do you shoot the balls and path if possible for easiest runout? Thanks.

View attachment 701993
Ask yourself.... what is the ball that is the biggest trouble ball... the 10. 15 has to go first. The 13 isn't easy to get position on, but with good speed control, not impossible.

Zerksies

The 10 ball is your problem ball and problems need to be addressed first. Pocket the 15 to clear the way for the 10. The next ball is the 11 this is probably the touchiest shot on the table to get to the 13. You have a few blocker balls, depending on the angle this can probably be done with a center ball hit. 13 in the side. 14 in the corner and then 10 in the corner then sinking the 8

Gatz

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

View attachment 701993
15 stop, 11 is key ball for shape and can be played 3 different ways. Would probably try to go in between 3/13 and error on hitting the 3. If I hit the 3 i have easy shot on 13 and still have 14. In an ideal world I don't hit either and get good on 14. Either angle on 14 gets me to 10 ball. Then stop on 10ball or just pop off rail and use 13 to get onto 8ball.

I'm always looking for "insurance" when playing a runout, in 8ball. Feel as if this way gives you the best possible insurance balls if any fuck ups in shape.

So. 15, 11,14,10,13, 8 in ideal situation.

Last edited:

Gatz

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Other option could be

15, shoot 11 with stun/draw between 3&8 ball. Have 3 possible balls you can get on and decide from there.

hang-the-9

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
i would start with the 15 ball to clear the rail for the 10 later
use the 10 as my key ball
hope you can follow my lines yellow and blue for the cueball red for the object ballView attachment 701994
This is how I would go as well. As Danny D states, you want to take the path of less snookerdom. The 13 is a bit blocked by the 5 and the 3 if playing shape from any ball other than the 11 and the 15 is blocked by the 10 and the 8 so the best paths are those that minimize the chance of getting behind those balls or having to run into them when playing position for the next one.

Last edited:
Reactions: bbb

Cornerman

Cue Author...Sometimes
Gold Member
Silver Member

View attachment 701993
I'm not going to pretend this is straightforward. But I'll give you what thoughts would go through my head:

A. 10-ball is a logical keyball, but so is the 14. The 14 is in open space, which makes it a viable keyball.
B. The two balls that give the most challenge are the 15 and the 13.
C. Leaving the 13-ball for a cut in the upper side pocket is fine if you don't mind running the cueball to double the bottom left corner and back out to the center of the table.
D. I would have to really make up my mind whether I want to go from the 11 to the 13 for that cut (15, 11, 13 (double the bottom left corner) and10), or start with the 13 to get to the 15, then 11, 14, 10. I don't hate this second option because of the 14-ball bailout if you run a hair too far for the 15-ball. The bailout gets you the right angle on the 15-ball
E. If this were a bar table, I'd definitely consider 13, follow for the 10/15 combo, 10, 11, 14 or 10 uptable, 15, 11, 13, 14 or 10/15 combo, which leaves the 13-ball in the upper side pocket

There is no obvious #1 solution, which should give you some confirmation that this is tricky. Size of table and pockets will lead you one way over an other. Regardless, you should be going all out to runout here rather than thinking about playing safe after three shots.