What tip you do you play with?

The_JV

'AZB_Combat Certified'
Used the same med/hard moori on my old player for 10 some odd years. Probably turned into a 'super hard' once I was done with it. Bought new equipment and spiraled down the rabbit hole of designer tips trying to find a magic pill. After a handful of months and countless variations. I told my cue guy just to put something hard on it. I have zero clue of the manufacturer, if it's a layered type, or if it was even a hard tip he put on. Been close to a year without a change and just stopped worrying about tips.

Much ado about nothing. Put something on it, anything, and just play.

wizard77

Before I begin I will add my standard disclaimer: if you find something you like, USE IT. Just because something is popular or more expensive does not mean it is better.

I tend to prefer a harder tip for a variety of reasons, but mostly because they last longer and hold their original shape and feel. Softer tips eventually become hard tips, so if you want to retain the original feel you have to change them out more often. I have recently returned to generally using Medium tips, but anything softer doesn't feel right to me.

A few years ago I started doing my own tip work, and now I do it for other people as well. I wanted to be able to make recommendations outside the norm, so I've been experimenting with lesser-known tips and have found some pleasant surprises.

I am not affiliated with any tip maker or brand, and I'm not trying to put down any of the tips or their makers, I'm just trying to be an honest broker. Take anything I say with a grain of salt and make up your own mind. That being said, these are my (highly unscientific) ratings at present:

Aramith
Most people don't know that Aramith makes tips - I did not know until another local mechanic recommended it to me (this was before I started doing my own tip work). I played with Aramith Hard for a couple years without changing them and was very satisfied with this tip. Rating: 7 of 10.

Kamikaze
These had been mentioned in other threads as a Kamui alternative, so I bought a few and ended up as my playing tip for about 6 months. I liked them enough that I installed them for several people, all of whom also reported positive feedback. This is a fine tip, especially at the price point of only $8 at Seyberts. I personally preferred the feel of the Medium over the feel of the Soft. I have no problem recommending this tip. Rating: 8 of 10.

Morakami
I had really high hopes for this tip based on other threads here, but it failed to meet expectations. The first one I tried to install ended up separating at the base layer while trimming it (meaning the first layer was still glued on, but the rest of the tip popped off). The second one I installed just felt bad and I cut it off a couple days later. Rating: 4 of 10.

Techno-dud
Again, I had high hopes for this, especially since it is not a layered tip, and it came highly recommended (I believe by Jennifer Baretta). So far this has been the worst of the lot. It had a terrible plinky noise and the Medium felt like a rock. Rating: 1 of 10.

Precision Layered Tips
I had never heard of these, but saw Scott Frost mention it in an interview. These are made by Dennis Searing, and according to Frost he spent a lot of time researching and developing these tips, and he claimed they are the best made today, so I decided to try it out. They are very easy to work with and feel great. I have been VERY impressed and this has become my go to tip, both for myself and others, and is currently my top recommendation when people ask me about tips. On top of that, they are only $10, which in my opinion is a steal! To my knowledge you can only buy them directly from Dennis's website [which needs a little work] at http://precisiontip.com/ Rating: 9 of 10.

NEW FIND AT THE EXPO:
Whitten
I have tons of respect for Joe Whitten and am a big fan of his case work. The quality is absolutely the best, and his approach to business and customer service cannot be beat. I fully recognize this may make me a tad biased, so I want to acknowledge that in advance. At the Expo this week, Joe was soft launching a new tip he is bringing to market. It is a pigskin layered tip made in Japan, but Joe brought his deep knowledge of leatherworks to the engineering of this product, and I know he would not put his name on it if it did not meet the highest quality standards.

I was able to try out several different hardnesses (he has S, MS, M, MH, and H) and they feel amazing! I ended up loving the feel of the Medium, so I bought a few and will be installing them on my playing shafts very soon. I cannot wait to put them through their paces. I can't give them a rating yet because I haven't installed them or played with them, but if what I sampled is any indication they could very possibly get a 10 of 10.
Where can you purchase these Whitten tips, please?

SSDiver2112

2b || !2b t^ ?
Where can you purchase these Whitten tips, please?

1-800-Google-It

1713278410029.png

Zerksies

Before I begin I will add my standard disclaimer: if you find something you like, USE IT. Just because something is popular or more expensive does not mean it is better.

I tend to prefer a harder tip for a variety of reasons, but mostly because they last longer and hold their original shape and feel. Softer tips eventually become hard tips, so if you want to retain the original feel you have to change them out more often. I have recently returned to generally using Medium tips, but anything softer doesn't feel right to me.

A few years ago I started doing my own tip work, and now I do it for other people as well. I wanted to be able to make recommendations outside the norm, so I've been experimenting with lesser-known tips and have found some pleasant surprises.

I am not affiliated with any tip maker or brand, and I'm not trying to put down any of the tips or their makers, I'm just trying to be an honest broker. Take anything I say with a grain of salt and make up your own mind. That being said, these are my (highly unscientific) ratings at present:

Aramith
Most people don't know that Aramith makes tips - I did not know until another local mechanic recommended it to me (this was before I started doing my own tip work). I played with Aramith Hard for a couple years without changing them and was very satisfied with this tip. Rating: 7 of 10.

Kamikaze
These had been mentioned in other threads as a Kamui alternative, so I bought a few and ended up as my playing tip for about 6 months. I liked them enough that I installed them for several people, all of whom also reported positive feedback. This is a fine tip, especially at the price point of only $8 at Seyberts. I personally preferred the feel of the Medium over the feel of the Soft. I have no problem recommending this tip. Rating: 8 of 10.

Morakami
I had really high hopes for this tip based on other threads here, but it failed to meet expectations. The first one I tried to install ended up separating at the base layer while trimming it (meaning the first layer was still glued on, but the rest of the tip popped off). The second one I installed just felt bad and I cut it off a couple days later. Rating: 4 of 10.

Techno-dud
Again, I had high hopes for this, especially since it is not a layered tip, and it came highly recommended (I believe by Jennifer Baretta). So far this has been the worst of the lot. It had a terrible plinky noise and the Medium felt like a rock. Rating: 1 of 10.

Precision Layered Tips
I had never heard of these, but saw Scott Frost mention it in an interview. These are made by Dennis Searing, and according to Frost he spent a lot of time researching and developing these tips, and he claimed they are the best made today, so I decided to try it out. They are very easy to work with and feel great. I have been VERY impressed and this has become my go to tip, both for myself and others, and is currently my top recommendation when people ask me about tips. On top of that, they are only $10, which in my opinion is a steal! To my knowledge you can only buy them directly from Dennis's website [which needs a little work] at http://precisiontip.com/ Rating: 9 of 10.

NEW FIND AT THE EXPO:
Whitten
I have tons of respect for Joe Whitten and am a big fan of his case work. The quality is absolutely the best, and his approach to business and customer service cannot be beat. I fully recognize this may make me a tad biased, so I want to acknowledge that in advance. At the Expo this week, Joe was soft launching a new tip he is bringing to market. It is a pigskin layered tip made in Japan, but Joe brought his deep knowledge of leatherworks to the engineering of this product, and I know he would not put his name on it if it did not meet the highest quality standards.

I was able to try out several different hardnesses (he has S, MS, M, MH, and H) and they feel amazing! I ended up loving the feel of the Medium, so I bought a few and will be installing them on my playing shafts very soon. I cannot wait to put them through their paces. I can't give them a rating yet because I haven't installed them or played with them, but if what I sampled is any indication they could very possibly get a 10 of 10.
I think Joe has done a great job, I think his work is probably better then his dads. I definately would be intersted in trying one of his tips. If the quality of his tips are up to what his cases are this will be a superior product. Speaking of that i would expect a superior price. 😆

RacerX750

Registered
Been out of the loop with tips except playing with Moori. I know he no longer makes his tips and haven't for some time now but this is what I play with. I may be due for a new tip.

What do you play with and how does it play? What are some of the best out there?
Tiger Sniper for many years. Got a Howe Titan Medium and will try that soon.

Pelzer Pete

Been out of the loop with tips except playing with Moori. I know he no longer makes his tips and haven't for some time now but this is what I play with. I may be due for a new tip.

What do you play with and how does it play? What are some of the best out there?
I have Morakami Black Diamond water buffalo tips on 90% of my cues. Great English and draw and super long lasting. If you use good glue you have to cut them off bevause they sure won't fall off. I get mine from Joe Barringer in Florida. (you're welcome Joe. Sorry to hear about Barry)

RakRunr

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I think Joe has done a great job, I think his work is probably better then his dads. I definately would be intersted in trying one of his tips. If the quality of his tips are up to what his cases are this will be a superior product. Speaking of that i would expect a superior price. 😆
I don't know what the final price will be, but the current price was $27, which is in line with other premium tips.

sbrownn

Registered
I don't know what the final price will be, but the current price was $27, which is in line with other premium tips.
sounds like I would go with one of the following after seeing that price:
  1. G2 USA (soft or medium)
  2. Kamikaze or http://precisiontip.com/ (tie as I have not tried them yet but they get great reviews for the price)
I do no like Kamui or Ultraskin tips.

Reactions: bbb

Rusty in Montana

I like the Techno dud , milk dud , and out front of these is a G2 med which is my favorite it depends on the day and how I'm shooting that day .
I've got a soft spot for the G2 and how well it has allowed me the confidence to try cut and or english shots I wouldn't of tried before .

SeniorTom

I usually play Kamui ss, and really like them. I have two Rhino cf shafts (great shaft/purchase) with their standard 8 Layered High-Performance F1 Crystal Cue s/m Tip. Surprisingly I really like this tip. It probably wouldn't be my first choice if I had several choices, but still have these tips on both of the Rhinos I purchased and like them.

Mensabum

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
G2 soft (maybe medium some times), mushrooms very little with great feel and holds chalk very well, USA is fine, Japan is twice as much - $10 each for USA.

Samsara break tip - $11 each if you buy 5 of them.

Shipping is a little bit more than expected for both options above given something so small and light being shipped, must be all that handling. Group buy with friends time, ha...
Just get ahold of pooldawg8 and buy a sack of Duds!!!

Mensabum

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
He only takes a layer or 2 off, I also break with my playing cue, the tip never mushrooms, and I bounce my cue on the floor tip down when I'm waiting to get back to the table. I know it sounds weird but I think it helps to compress the tip much faster. If people don't think my elevator doesn't go to the top floor I'm ok with that, it probably doesn't. :)
I've been doing that when I find a soft tip has somehow found it's way onto one of my shafts to help harden it and keep the sides from blowing out. Burnish the crap out of it w a piece of leather as well.
Bouncing on the floor is an old road dawg trick used for shitty house cue tips.

Mensabum

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Pressed Triangle or Outsville / KiTech Techno Dud Hard (which is a modified Triangle). Triangles have been my go to and for decades.

But I do have a couple shafts that I use that one came with a Kamui Clear M and another I put a Precision M on to try out. Really don’t have a good reason to change them. They don’t suck, and they aren’t bothersome. But nothing about them performs any better than a Triangle. They’re leather tips with certain non-annoying medium hard hit, they hold shape and hold chalk. Not much more I want out of a tip.
You can get way out there on this tip business.
I'm glad I missed all the hullabaloo when layereds first came out. I was caring for my terminal wife and pool was forgotten for a while. I've always used old school tips and I'll stack mine against any out there for playability and reliability. Mine payed my bills, so no BS.
If they didn't perform, I would have switched - fast!!!!

Mensabum

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
"Stay away from extreme English and stay closer to center cue ball" is the best tip I've ever had! ;)

Seriously, not too picky about my playing tips on my cues as long as they are not overly hard or soft. I will agree on the Samsara Black tip for break/jump cues though.
Here another tip 4 ya... "Don't go out in the rain without an umbrella", or how about 'Seabiscuit in the 3rd!!'😁