What Was the Best Mosconi Cup Shot Ever Made?

Lynch

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
This is a real ballsy and heroic shot. I watched it several times to see if he hit the 9 first or not. I can't tell. I think it's as close to a split hit as it gets.....Awesome shot! I think you're right about no one else trying this shot, but mostly because they would play some sort of safe. But you could say the same about Corey's, if he hits it bad he really looks like an idiot for trying it. The reason why I like the other shot more is because I can execute this shot(may take a few tries), but Corey's shot it may take a lot of work to get it right. I'm about positive I can't execute it in the manner he did, even though I could maybe get close. If that ball is off the rail another inch or two it's a much easier shot but as close to the rail as that cue ball is, it's damn near suicide to pull it off with one chance under pressure IMO. I know you are a good player Lee. If you were practicing and not under any pressure, how many attempts would it take you to make Corey's shot and get that kind of action. I'm just curious, maybe it's easier than I think for a pro level or near pro level player.

I have to disagree, not one player on the planet except Alex would dare to play this shot.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W7xiae-32rM

JD_Hogg

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
This is a real ballsy and heroic shot. I watched it several times to see if he hit the 9 first or not. I can't tell. I think it's as close to a split hit as it gets.....Awesome shot! I think you're right about no one else trying this shot, but mostly because they would play some sort of safe. But you could say the same about Corey's, if he hits it bad he really looks like an idiot for trying it. The reason why I like the other shot more is because I can execute this shot(may take a few tries), but Corey's shot it may take a lot of work to get it right. I'm about positive I can't execute it in the manner he did, even though I could maybe get close. If that ball is off the rail another inch or two it's a much easier shot but as close to the rail as that cue ball is, it's damn near suicide to pull it off with one chance under pressure IMO. I know you are a good player Lee. If you were practicing and not under any pressure, how many attempts would it take you to make Corey's shot and get that kind of action. I'm just curious, maybe it's easier than I think for a pro level or near pro level player.

Coreys shot was 10x harder.. I stii think Melling shot the best pool I ever saw played at the mosconi

BeiberLvr

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have to disagree, not one player on the planet except Alex would dare to play this shot.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W7xiae-32rM

They wouldn't dare play it because there are much better options, but it's still a much higher percentage shot and lower on the difficulty scale than Corey's shot.

You're a good player with a solid stroke.

Set up Alex's shot and shoot it 100 times. I'm thinking you get it within 10 tries, and will have success multiple times afterwards. The most difficult part is hitting the right spot on the rail, which I will say, Alex did a great job of considering he only had one attempt.

Now do the same with Corey's shot. Then come back and tell us if your opinion is still the same.

BeiberLvr

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I felt it was a bad hit. Either way, the Melling shot and the Deuel shot are way harder than this kick.

Here's a screen cap right before contact.

3yXFRAnZ5JUFkX9c5vMg.jpg

And here's one right after contact

wMAwg50ulFvP-M9-WQTO.jpg

Both balls move at the exact same time. In cases like that I thought the rule was to favor the shooter.

MediocrityNC

Ring game?
Silver Member
I always get a kick out of this one :grin::

Mosconi Cup 2010 - Day 1 - Match 3 - Immonen vs. …: http://youtu.be/VhUdPz3IN_8

Last shot of the match, and he took all of about 10 seconds to look at it and line it up. Maybe not the greatest but definitely entertaining and worth watching.

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
Here's a screen cap right before contact.

3yXFRAnZ5JUFkX9c5vMg.jpg

And here's one right after contact

wMAwg50ulFvP-M9-WQTO.jpg

Both balls move at the exact same time. In cases like that I thought the rule was to favor the shooter.

I believe that under the rules a split hit is a foul. I saw it as a split hit.

Sloppy Pockets

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Looked bad to me

I've always thought that one was a foul. At one time I even took Post-Its and placed them exactly at the ball edges and played the shot back frame-by-frame. I concluded that it was, at best, a simultaneous hit.

Now that YouTube lets you play back videos at slower speeds, I just took a look at the shot played back at 1/4 speed. I now believe I was mistaken. Looks like the 2 moved first. It was a fair hit IMO.

BeiberLvr

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I believe that under the rules a split hit is a foul. I saw it as a split hit.

I don't know what rules they played under back then, but under current WPA, BCA, APA rules, a split hit is NOT a foul and will always go in favor of the shooter.

26. Split Hits
If the cue ball strikes a legal object ball and a non-legal object ball at approximately the same instant, and it cannot be determined which ball was hit first, it will be assumed that the legal target was struck first.
http://www.wpa-pool.com/web/the_regulations#26

Split Hit Situations and Billiard Referees

In situations where it is observed that the cue ball strikes a legal object ball as well as a non legal object ball at the same instant, it shall be considered a split hit. In a split hit, it can not be humanly determined which ball was hit first, and judgment shall be dealt in favor of the shooting player or team.
http://www.billiardsforum.info/pool-rules/bca-billiard-referee-rules.asp

Protect yourself. If you think your opponent is getting ready
to shoot a shot that could possibly be a bad hit, stop
him from shooting and get someone to watch the
shot. Potential bad hit situations are usually fairly
obvious and protests and disputes over these close
situations can almost always be avoided if someone
is asked to watch the shot. If the outside party cannot
determine which ball was struck first, the call goes
to the shooter.
http://media.poolplayers.com/TMRB/2014-Rulebooklet.pdf

In the case of the Higgins shot, it's very clear that both balls moved at presciely the same time. You can watch it frame by frame here

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member
I think Corey's shot was the best of Mosconi easily.
The other shots could all be done eventually by any decent player.
For Corey's draw shot, most players couldn't get it done before the lease ran out on
the pool hall.

cueaddicts

AzB Gold Member
Silver Member
I think Corey's shot was the best of Mosconi easily.
The other shots could all be done eventually by any decent player.
For Corey's draw shot, most players couldn't get it done before the lease ran out on
the pool hall.

I agree.....that shot was beyond sick !!!!!

Sloppy Pockets

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
In the case of the Higgins shot, it's very clear that both balls moved at presciely the same time. You can watch it frame by frame here

Thanks for that. Makes it even more convincing to me that I'm correct.

Toggle back and forth between time:103.28 and time:103.32 (or somewhere very close to those times) and you can clearly see two frames that show:

In the first frame the 2 starts its move and begins its rotation while the 9 is still sitting there.

In the next frame they appear to have separated simultaneously, but the preceding frame is the one that tells the tale.

Extremely close, and too close to call at normal speed. My feeling is that in situations like these, the call should go to the shooter.

Colin Colenso

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Corey's shot was a power masse', with heavy left english in addition to draw. While many players with a good power stroke can make this shot, very few would consider it a percentage option. To even play the shot shows how remarkable Corey Deuel is. He is perhaps the best ever power with accuracy stroke player I've ever seen. I saw him draw 3 rails around the table from a full length pot once, to the chagrin of Mike Masse whose attempts went about half the distance.

And anyone who thought Alex's hit was bad or even simultaneous, take off the USA goggles and please refrain from refereeing any matches of mine.

Chris' shot was nice, but almost a natural stun angle. He did well to read it and execute it, but it was probably a 50/50 chance once attempted. Just had to hit the left side of that OB. I should add that Chris has played a lot of English 8-ball and snooker, where kissing balls off rails (which they are hard to pot from) is a regular part of pattern making, so he's more likely to spot this shot and more adept at executing it than most US pool players.

Alex had to hit that shot paper thin to make it... it was a crazy shot... such choices have created shots that are moments of joy in billiards history. This break, and particularly the blue just after 2.30 is the most entertaining break in snooker history imho. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CAO48WSZnRU

That said, Corey's shot is my choice for best ever Mosconi Cup shot.

Last edited:

Colin Colenso

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Bumped, coz anyone who hasn't seem the Alex Higgins break I linked to above, which he had to make to stay in the World Champs, which he won, would have missed an historic part of billiards history.