What would you do here?

Playing 9 Ball: In which pocket would you try to shoot the seven ball?

• A

Votes: 22 14.4%
  • B

Votes: 15 9.8%
  • C

Votes: 63 41.2%
  • D

Votes: 5 3.3%
  • E

Votes: 65 42.5%

• Total voters

Lawnboy77

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I seriously can't believe anyone can look at those comparisons and chose a pocket other than E?
1. You're playing for A or D, you're not playing on tight pockets, I can tell you that right now.
2. You're playing for B, your speed control better be perfect, which is also true of A. Small errors in direction or speed will spell disaster in both these shots. With this length of travel, you don't need to be off by more than a fraction of a tip or just a little bit off on your speed. You can scratch, land on the rail, land straight in or come up short. Depending on your angle from the 6 you can end up on top of the 8 as well.
3. C and D are just a nightmares overall. You miss your position window by even a fraction, either way, the position can become from very difficult to downright impossible to pull off consistently. The side pocket can get in your way, you may have to shoot with speed with spins that many players are unfamiliar with. Stun run through, with sidespin, long distance....Yeah, I don't think any sub 600 fargos are pulling those shots off consistently. I'll be happy to be proven wrong.

I'm not saying I, or any other moderately competent recreational player can't pull these shots off. I'm saying that with a 100 tries, the successrate (given time between attempts to avoid "dialing in") is not even going to be close to that of E. With dialing in, it will still be pretty clear, I think. I'm also saying that some of you might be surprised at how difficult these shots can actually be on a normally tight (not gaffy) table.

"Insurance position" is a useful concept. Sometimes, like in real life insurance situations, the insurance is not as good as you thought it was. The very thing you needed has been carefully and precisely removed by skilled statisticians in a way that exempt you from compensation unexpectedly. Bad luck and pool Gods do this work in pool.
My thoughts exactly, and really if a person is not comfortable with the "E" option, that's probably all the more reason he, or she needs to start playing the E type options in these scenarios. Like you said before, this game is all about choosing the easiest path, the path of least resistance. It's not enough to make it 6 out of 10 tries, that will get you no where in this game when your opponent is nailing his runs 9 for 10.

Lawnboy77

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Are there any pros left on this forum who can weigh in on this?

Maybe someone can drag Danny H away from his anti-626 crusade for a moment.
Sharivari is certainly on that level, but I've seen Tin Man and others on that level preach the same on this forum over the years. It's nothing new here.

Playing styles, skill levels, table conditions... Looks like a choice between rolling the ball with minimal movement or playing a longer route with rails and spins...

dlao02

C with stop/stun. I plan to follow forward for the 8 afterwards.
Hello guys,

I am doing some research for a possible future video. Could you give me your vote on the pocket of your choice for the seven ball? I allowed to choose multiple pockets, in case you are trying to have multiple options depending on your accuracy in cue ball control.

This is the 9 Ball situation you're facing:

View attachment 603295

bellmagic

Registered
Hello guys,

I am doing some research for a possible future video. Could you give me your vote on the pocket of your choice for the seven ball? I allowed to choose multiple pockets, in case you are trying to have multiple options depending on your accuracy in cue ball control.

View attachment 603295
I'd play the 6 in the corner(pocket speed) with a little draw. Shoot the 7 in C with some follow, trying to leave the cue ball up between 1 and 2 diamonds on the E-D-C rail. Then shoot the 8 ball in B with top left and then pocket the 9 ball in E. Any pattern which follows almost "natural" position of the cue ball, is best if possible.

gregcantrall

Center Ball
Silver Member
Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and to remove all doubt.
I came to this party late. However it was entertaining enough that I made it through all 146 posts! With 2 very good videos demonstrating how and why. 👍
The wwyd threads can create debate that has the least knowledgeable posting the most. 🤷 😄

PoolFoolKBH

Hello guys,

View attachment 603295
Ease the 6 in the corner leaving the 7 straight in for pocket C. Using high english to set up for the eight in pocket B and then position cue ball for the 9 in pocket Eis one possibility.

S.Vaskovskyi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
After the first glance at the given position on the picture my mistake was on how much angle it is on the 6 ball. On the picture it seemed to me it is too flat but after looking at the position actually at the table during OP's video it was obvious there's more than enough angle for better chances to run out going for pocket E. I'd play position after second long rail rather than just rolling off short rail...
Unfortunately I don't think it's my last mistake at evaluating the angle right looking at the small picture on the phone comparing to the better view at the actual playing table).

Last edited:

SBC

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'd play it in pocket C cause I can get downtable with topspin. And I'm not scart.

SBC

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Also you could play a mean safe hitting 6 off the end rail then another rail or 2, sending it up table and drawing the cueball up tight on the 9 and 7...nobody is hitting it if you get the 6 in thr middle of the short rail up table.

JC

Coos Cues
I still say it’s no picnic getting good shape from the 7 to the 8 when choosing to play the 7 in pocket E and bringing the cue ball off both opposite long rails, even if you leave an ideal angle on the 7.

Using left or low left, if you hit too much low, too much left or too hard, you risk a myriad of potential problems - leaving the 8-ball straight and/or even scratching in pocket B.

You hit it too easy or not enough left, you risk either leaving too much angle on the 8 or leaving the cue ball on the side cushion, in either case making for a tough shot on the 8.

On tour cut pockets or tougher, even a pro level player would do well to get out from this layout 9 out of 10 times, and it would take a very good player to get out 7 out of 10 times. In a match situation, you don’t get to try it 10 times in a row - you only get one chance at it!
Still waiting for some video evidence of those lower pockets being a viable option, much less a better one.

I may have to set up and run out ten times in a row now.

JC

Coos Cues
Also you could play a mean safe hitting 6 off the end rail then another rail or 2, sending it up table and drawing the cueball up tight on the 9 and 7...nobody is hitting it if you get the 6 in thr middle of the short rail up table.
Then what? Are you going to have a better chance to run out with ball in hand from where ever the 6 ends up?

This thread is not building skill but it sure is revealing it.

straightline

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Still waiting for some video evidence of those lower pockets being a viable option, much less a better one.

I may have to set up and run out ten times in a row now.
I get your need for absolute consistency but going to the back pockets shouldn't be a stymie to that out. (?) My take is you only need to get out that once.

Bobkitty

I said: "Here kitty, kitty". Got this frown.
Gold Member
Silver Member
6 ball stun shot. Possible tap draw but it will probably make for a side or B pocket. I would stun, play 7 in C with follow. 8 in B and 9 in F or E depending on angle. Not a very difficult out at all. Several different options depending on angles from shot to shot. Now put that 7 closely under the 9 and you have an entirely different a way more difficult out.

Sent from my iPad using AzBilliards Forums
Just rolling the cue ball is way better than using low.