What would you do with this basement layout problem? (the dreaded pole)

How would you handle this?

• I think you should move the table.

Votes: 5 7.6%
  • I think you should talk to a contractor about moving the pole.

Votes: 34 51.5%
  • I think you should do both.

Votes: 19 28.8%
  • I think you should do neither ? just deal with it as-is.

Votes: 8 12.1%

• Total voters

tonmo

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I've been mulling over my basement situation for a long time now. I'd appreciate your input. Here's the situation:

Soon, I will be changing out the cloth on my table -- it's getting worn and I'm eager to switch to blue cloth. Inherent with this, I'm thinking about moving my table a bit while the guys are here to re-cloth it.

The reason I want to move it: there is a pole which obstructs about 4% or so of my shots, plus on the opposite wall (where all the Pink Floyd albums are) I've got some obstruction when the cue ball is on the rail (or close to it). The Pink Floyd wall doesn't cover the length of the table, but it is more than half. There's a bathroom behind it, which I considered demolishing, but I learned there is foundational concrete within that wall. (The basement was finished by the previous owners of my home.)

On the pole side, the wall behind it is also an obstruction. It doesn't run as long as the Pink Floyd wall -- it is less than half the length of the table.

The distance between the two walls within that nook is about 12'9", if I remember correctly. It's an 8-foot table.

Right now, I have a pair or 42" cues to deal with the pole, and a pair of 52" cues to deal with the Pink Floyd wall.

I?m thinking of moving the pool table about 6" or so closer to the pole. This will make shots in that corner tighter, but it should also give unobstructed shot making along the Pink Floyd wall with my normal 58" cues. Since I pretty much need to use the 42" cue when I?m jammed up in that corner of the room anyhow, I think I may be best off moving the table a bit.

What do you think? Here are some pics of the room for context:

Here's one angle:

room1.jpg

Here?s the pole and wall behind it:

room2.jpg

Here's how you can get jammed up against the Pink Floyd wall:

room3.jpg

Here's how you can get jammed up on the side with the pole:

room4.jpg

Here's how you can get jammed up on the pole itself:

room5.jpg

Here's the approximate length on the problem on the Pink Floyd wall:

room6.jpg

And here's the approximate distance I am thinking about moving the table to the left:

room7.jpg

Another shot of the same:

room8.jpg

Here's a pic of my nemesis:

room9.jpg

And finally, here's the length of the Pink Floyd wall:

room11.jpg

Thanks in advance for your input!

Last edited:

Nostroke

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Sell the house asap and get a room that accomodates the table. Either that or learn to love Checkers.

You must be a very patient. If im down there a week under those conditions with that pole and wall(s), one of us is not surviving.

mr8ball

I had some pools in my room also. Here is what i did. I got me 2, 1/4" X 22' Long plates and put them up for support beams and took the pools out. I am not sure if it will work for you but its a thought

Attachments

• Wall 001RS.jpg
    Wall 001RS.jpg
    90.5 KB · Views: 1,134

tonmo

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Nostroke -- I'm not happy with it, but at the same time it's not as bad as it looks. I'm highlighting all the problems here. I've seen worse -- most of the table is unobstructed -- most games I play don't have a problem (I play daily). But yes, it does take patience to actually switch cues. I'm afraid that won't ever go away in this house. (Did consider moving actually... pool table wasn't only reason, but it was a factor!)

The ones with me jammed up are with a 58" cue, btw. Usually the 52" will work without problem. The 42" is no problem at all but it's a bit awkward.

Mr8Ball -- thanks for the pic -- that's along the lines of the kind of input I'm looking for.

dabarbr

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
mr8ball said:
I had some pools in my room also. Here is what i did. I got me 2, 1/4" X 22' Long plates and put them up for support beams and took the pools out. I am not sure if it will work for you but its a thought
Good job on yours but I don't think it will solve all of his problems.

mr8ball

tonmo said:
Nostroke -- I'm not happy with it, but at the same time it's not as bad as it looks. I'm highlighting all the problems here. I've seen worse -- most of the table is unobstructed -- most games I play don't have a problem (I play daily). But yes, it does take patience to actually switch cues. I'm afraid that won't ever go away in this house. (Did consider moving actually... pool table wasn't only reason, but it was a factor!)

The ones with me jammed up are with a 58" cue, btw. Usually the 52" will work without problem. The 42" is no problem at all but it's a bit awkward.

Mr8Ball -- thanks for the pic -- that's along the lines of the kind of input I'm looking for.
It wasnt that bad but after looking at your layout it might not work for you. Its just what i did and thought i would share it. Good luck

tonmo

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
here are a few more angles for perspective.

Attachments

• room12.jpg
    room12.jpg
    37.9 KB · Views: 859
  • room13.jpg
    room13.jpg
    30.5 KB · Views: 733
  • room14.jpg
    room14.jpg
    37.5 KB · Views: 848

tonmo

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Thanks. I did consider that at the time of purchase. It was only $100 less and the salesperson convinced me it would be better to have the 8'. I don't regret that decision.

jgpool

Cue ball draw with this?
Silver Member
Problem solved!

Here is the brand new invention from Cuetec it's called the Poletec. Put this on the end of you 24 inch cue when your near the pole and BAM! problem solved. :D :D :D

P.S. I have a short wall too! It's a PITA!

Attachments

• wrench.jpg
    wrench.jpg
    2 KB · Views: 1,096
Last edited:

putt-putt44

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I Have A 6' ''olhausen'' Up In My Loft And Play With Full Size Cues,,

Any Time In A Game, The Ball Is Allowed To Be Moved Up To The Center Spot,,,,,hell,you Can Make Up All Kinds Of Fun And Crazy Rules To Get Around The Pole,,,,,,,,

Stay With The 8 Footer,,,but Get Rid Of That Red Stuff ,,,,,,,

dabarbr

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
What you have is fine for practice. Many would like to have what you have. But for serious games, I don't know.

3andstop

Focus
Silver Member
One of your photos seemed to show another room behind one wall. If these finished walls open to more space rather than a staircase, I'd first off get the sledgehammer, secondly put up the steel to reinforce the joist. Of course consult with a professional before your remove any poles or sledgehammer any walls with electrical outlets in them.

If you don't end up with 15x20 for a 9' table, I'd take nostrokes advice. :D

smoooothstroke

JerLaw
Silver Member
lol

mr8ball said:

I did a similar thing to a buddies condo.He kept playing me safe where a small supporting wall jutted out,1 day I came over with my tools...We cut the wall out and used steel plates to tie the cut joists together.

As far as basements with poles go laminated engineered beams work wonders(or steel).You will probably have a head room issue if you take out the pole and put in a beam.A contractor would likely have to put the beam up into the joists witch is more work then just running it underneath the floor joists.

Rodney

hot7339
Silver Member
It looks like even if you move the post, you will still have an obstacle. Is the wall behind it a supporting wall? If it is, you could possible turn it into a half wall, and just have a support beam at the very end. That, and removing the pole, and reinforcing the beam may be enough to free up your table.

If you decide to remodel, definately consult a contractor or engineer. Also, do you have the blueprints on the house? That would definately make for less surprises.

Rodney

pocketspeed

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
you didnt mention what your budget for fixing your pool room woes was. if you hire a contractor removing lally columns be an expensive proposition. i alway worry when guys say "my buddies and me put in a peice of steel" and such. unless they have construction experience, this is not a good diy project. puts the safety of your home at risk and can crush you on resale. when i was in construction homeowers always asked "can we do this?" the answer was almost always "yes, how much do you want to spend". your best bet is to get a reputable contractor in there and go over options with him and get some prices. this will probably determine what you end up doing.

brian

Scott Lee

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
C'mon now Frank...How many times have you played in Reno or Vegas (and forget about how many million times you've gambled on barboxes)? Are you telling me those weren't "serious games"? Table size has nothing to do with how 'serious' a player you are. Good players can play on any size table, with ease.

Scott Lee
www.poolknowledge.com

dabarbr said:
What you have is fine for practice. Many would like to have what you have. But for serious games, I don't know.

zombiemodder

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Very nice pool room that pole just ruins it i think you should have it removed it shoud'nt cost to much. It will look way nicer with it gone.

SoundWaves

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It's hard for me to answer without understanding the whole room. I just had my pole removed to create a 24'x24' open space in my play room. If you move the pole can use a full cue on both sides without a problem? If so do it, it's worth it regardless of the cost. If it's still tight I would move the table out into the open part of the room and make the narrow area a nice spot to sit between turns. But it all depends on the dimensions of the whole area and what else you do down there.
Good luck!