what's the best cue you ever hit with, and why?

evergruven

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I realize "hit" is often subjective, and that's ok- I'd still like to hear about it
and if there's some technical spec., balance, length, weight, wood, etc. worth mentioning, please do

CocoboloCowboy

Cowboys are my hero's
Silver Member
I do not believe "HIT" is measurable, as there is NO HIT MEETER. I thnk hit come down to like a Judges Opinion when judging something like Western Equation, or Dressage in a Horse Show. It is not like Grand Prix Showjumping where pricing winder is easy. Time, Number of Jump Cleared, and Last Error Points Penalized.

Friend had what he believe was Balabushka very solid hit, other favorite is Titlist Conversions, as old wood is very dense and feels good.

Interpetation of hit could change if your arthritis is flailing up, like taste changes if your drink with meal change from black coffe to coffee with sugar or cream.

What I consider Hot Spicy Food, Sid what other consider not for human consumption, because they do not like REAL HOT Like Ghost, Scorpion, Reeper Hot Peppers.

bbb

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Hit is like picking a women to go home with
everyone has their own idea of whats perfect
sean
this post is like the what tip is best threads
sorry bro

docgpmiller

Hit meaning Breaking or playing the rest of the game. I just like shooting with Viking Cues. I also like McDermott Cues. 19 oz mostly sometimes 20 oz. 12-12.25 mm tip Soft tip.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

CocoboloCowboy

Cowboys are my hero's
Silver Member
Hit is like picking a women to go home with
everyone has their own idea of whats perfect
sean
this post is like the what tip is best threads
sorry bro

It's not like saying who ran the fastest 100 meter sprint in history, record is easy to find, and time.

middleofnowhere

Registered
A cue I built myself but not after tweaking it multiple times even at one point removing the wrap and taking the butt down a bit. I also made a shaft and hollowed out the first 6 inches.
Plugged it a added a 1/2 inch sleeved ferrule, very thin. Except for making a few new shafts over time, I haven't changed in over 30 years.

My favorite memory's of cues are a Gina cue I had around early 70s. Also I had a Martin cue I liked a lot with an Ivory joint.

Never really played with too many steel joint cues after the Martin. I was hooked on the flat faced ivory joints and their hit.
Today that would be phenolic joints I guess.
I even had an Ivory joint Szamboti I made the mistake of selling to Mike the Russian.

Being able to build your own cues cuts both way. Because you may go nuts screwing around with your cue too much.

However, it's worse waiting for a cue for a year or two, then trying to convince yourself you like it, when deep down you know you don't.

Want a cue you may like, buy a used cue you can play with first. It still doesn't guarantee anything. Hopefully it feels as good in month as it did the first week.

greyghost

Coast to Coast
Silver Member
I beat a guy with a 22oz estwing framing hammer. It hit superbly….better than any cue.

Specifically I beat him out of 10$ in a game of 9ball.

True story but I had you going there for a second

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

greyghost

Coast to Coast
Silver Member
A cue I built myself but not after tweaking it multiple times even at one point removing the wrap and taking the butt down a bit. I also made a shaft and hollowed out the first 6 inches.
Plugged it a added a 1/2 inch sleeved ferrule, very thin. Except for making a few new shafts over time, I haven't changed in over 30 years.

My favorite memory's of cues are a Gina cue I had around early 70s. Also I had a Martin cue I liked a lot with an Ivory joint.

Never really played with too many steel joint cues after the Martin. I was hooked on the flat faced ivory joints and their hit.
Today that would be phenolic joints I guess.
I even had an Ivory joint Szamboti I made the mistake of selling to Mike the Russian.

Being able to build your own cues cuts both way. Because you may go nuts screwing around with your cue too much.

However, it's worse waiting for a cue for a year or two, then trying to convince yourself you like it, when deep down you know you don't.

Want a cue you may like, buy a used cue you can play with first. It still doesn't guarantee anything. Hopefully it feels as good in month as it did the first week.

I have a 50s Martin. Ivory joint and ferrule. Traded a Southwest for it. I’m glad I did. It is a wonderful playing cue. My favorite of all that I own that I didn’t build specifically for myself.

alphadog

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I do not believe "HIT" is measurable, as there is NO HIT MEETER. I thnk hit come down to like a Judges Opinion when judging something like Western Equation, or Dressage in a Horse Show. It is not like Grand Prix Showjumping where pricing winder is easy. Time, Number of Jump Cleared, and Last Error Points Penalized.

Friend had what he believe was Balabushka very solid hit, other favorite is Titlist Conversions, as old wood is very dense and feels good.

Interpetation of hit could change if your arthritis is flailing up, like taste changes if your drink with meal change from black coffe to coffee with sugar or cream.

What I consider Hot Spicy Food, Sid what other consider not for human consumption, because they do not like REAL HOT Like Ghost, Scorpion, Reeper Hot Peppers.
Maybe my reading comprehension is slipping?Did the op ask for a anyone to post stupid shit?

I have a Mcd C11 that I keep coming back to. I had Schuler that played great for 2 years and then something came lose and it didn't play the same.

HawaiianEye

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Maybe my reading comprehension is slipping?Did the op ask for a anyone to post stupid shit?

I have a Mcd C11 that I keep coming back to. I had Schuler that played great for 2 years and then something came lose and it didn't play the same.

I have a McDermott C-14 that is one of the best hitting cues I have hit with.

The 4th cue from the top.

CDC73ACB-08BF-4797-9827-D10678D9E803.jpeg

B859B40B-42ED-4854-9161-49FD63AA451C.jpeg

Last edited:

greyghost

Coast to Coast
Silver Member

Did the op ask for anyone to talk shit over what is a perfectly acceptable answer from a someone who’s been around this never ending block?

Not worth stirring the pot here

middleofnowhere

Registered

Schuler have strange weight system that comes loose. Also, his butt caps from some I have seen are flat faced to the butt sleeve held by a screw.

The one I had and worked on, the butt cap didn't have a counter sink just flat. It started sounding like a tuningfork. I just made a whole new butt cap and modified it.
Your cue I am sure is fixable.
The weight system you can easily remove and maybe fix yourself. It has little rubber O rings and weights that are changeable.

71dewajack

I like these threads because they can turn you on to a maker you may have never heard of.

I've played with countless production cues, but not many customs. There's my disclaimer. My favorite is a Runde 99. It felt like it was made for me, although it wasn't. The balance and feel are what stand out. It feels like an extension of my arm. Playing it made me go on the hunt for other Rundes.

evergruven

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

no pun intended? 😋
I appreciate the reply tho, and have much respect for cuemakers, especially players who build just to find out what they like
I've bought a few differently-shaped cues, with that same idea in mind, and am still figuring out what my "best" cue might feel like
trial and error has helped tho..I'm getting closer to where I want to be.

I think pat j. on here has the top of his shaft hollowed out too, for deflection reasons, if I remember right
is that why you hollowed yours out? does it feel much different than a shaft that's "whole"?

evergruven

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I like these threads because they can turn you on to a maker you may have never heard of.

agree and thanks for the reply
I know this thread seems redundant, but I figure you never know til you try

did you find other rundes? was the hit still good?

evergruven

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Coos Cues aren't that fancy but they hit better than any other cue ever made by anyone anywhere at any time.

A ton doesn't even come close to quantifying them.

Just the facts ma'am.

dragnet-jack-webb.jpg

I like the confidence! I looked at your page, some very nice-looking cues. I like wood, too, tho it appears you are on another level ^_^