What's the biggest spot you've ever seen someone lose with?

crow

Caw Caw
Silver Member
A couple gimmick games I’ve played.

In 8-Ball, my opponent gets the break and only has to make the 8. So, if he makes a ball on the break, he can shoot directly at the 8 and any turn at the table there-after he shoots at the 8. Otherwise, I have make all the other balls, in no particular order, pocketing the 8 last.

Played 9-ball with a guy where the rails were his pockets. That was exciting.

Another 9-ball game I played where I spotted my opponent the 7, 8 & 9, but he could only shoot them in one of the corner pockets and I could not shoot any of them in his pocket. I ended up not liking this game.

He spotted you in that eight ball game

Jaden

"no buds chill"
Silver Member
umm...yeah...

I lost to Mike Dechaine in the following game twice and won once:
all the breaks
last 5
wild 5
ball in hand after the break
2 games to 6

I am a straight low C player (5 in apa). Played on super tight table when I lost and regular gold crown IV when I won. I lost hill hill on tight table won 6 to 2 on normal table)

If I didn't break and run (with BIH after break) I lost plain and simple. The tight pockets are too much to fade for a low C like me. I rattled too many balls and never shot after I missed.

He ain't givin that spot to anyone he doesn't know...

Jaden

crow

Caw Caw
Silver Member
I gave a guy the called two thru at Michaels in cincy came out like three games winner guy was atrocious I got unlucky to only win three games he kept slopping balls in and being straight in on his next shot.

crow

Caw Caw
Silver Member
Tedder never missed. If he missed the Ghost won the set. I guess you could say he gave the Ghost 9 games on the wire.

He can play that game again and again if he wants that's a ridiculous game and the thread winner in my opinion.

westcoast

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I once saw Ginky (rip) play a set of 9 ball where the guy he played had to drive the 1 ball (or lowest ball available) to a rail. Ginky won

How did that work out? Did Ginky just hook the guy so bad that he couldn't hit the low ball if he couldn't get out?

rezin8

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
He can play that game again and again if he wants that's a ridiculous game and the thread winner in my opinion.

I can't think of someone I wouldn't bet on the ghost in that game. Hell, I'd let SVB play it. Race to 10, ghost gets 9 on the wire?

Yeah... I'm betting the ghost against the world in that one.

onepocketron

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
A pro playing a decent but not good player 14-4 in one hole. Yep the pro kicked his butt. The pro kept the guy going to 4 locked down the entire time, even if it meant taking an intentional, and he took plenty of them. That was when I learned that intentional fouls are your best friend if your opponent really has you by the short hairs.

It was funny as I was fairly new getting back into the game after a long lay off (20 years) and I told the guy sitting beside me that "that guys is the luckiest man I've every seen" to which he replied "do you know who that is"? It was Cliff in his prime. :)

westcoast

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
A pro playing a decent but not good player 14-4 in one hole. Yep the pro kicked his butt. The pro kept the guy going to 4 locked down the entire time, even if it meant taking an intentional, and he took plenty of them. That was when I learned that intentional fouls are your best friend if your opponent really has you by the short hairs.

It was funny as I was fairly new getting back into the game after a long lay off (20 years) and I told the guy sitting beside me that "that guys is the luckiest man I've every seen" to which he replied "do you know who that is"? It was Cliff in his prime. :)

I'm not a one pocket player, so perhaps I don't fully appreciate the game- but I've always thought that the intentional foul was one of the biggest flaws in the game- there should be a higher penalty for taking one.

klockdoc

ughhhhhhhhhh
Silver Member
I've seen this regularly in a match up. Same two people.
Bar table 9 ball.
Solid B player get the 5, 7, last five and the breaks and they play for more that I or probably many others would want to.

ROB.M

:)
Silver Member
I watched Jon kucharo give a kid every ball on the table" the rainbow" on a valley bar box and of course the kid lost.

Rob.M

pdcue

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'm kinda curious about this. I've seen people lose with some pretty big spots, but what's the biggest you've ever seen someone get and lose with?

I've actually lost getting 15-3 in 1 pocket before. My opponent wore me down after 14 hours and towards the end, I just gave up because I couldn't go anymore. To top it off, I'm not really a 1 pocket player and had only played the game a few times before.

Stretching the requirements a bit, I didn't "see" any of these games, but got the
info from stand up guys who did:"

Clem Metz spotted a beginner - if he drove the 9 Ball to a rail he won the game...
of course Clem won.

The owner of a small room in Springfield, OH would play any of the young guys
who came to his room Snooker, he shot with a small wooden CHAIR. Hit the CB
with the foot of one of the legs...

Eddie Taylor told on TV, how, to get action he was forced to play good bank players,
Taylor would turn his head away, looking back over his shoulder as he hit the CB.

Dale

CJ Wiley

ESPN WORLD OPEN CHAMPION
Gold Member
Silver Member
it's not totally difficult to run 10 racks in a row with "ball in hand"

Amen....although it's not totally difficult to run 10 racks in a row with "ball in hand" for a player of Shane's caliber. I used to play it on the 10' table and give up 7/5 on the money (each game)....last time I played that game I got 10 games ahead in 45 minutes.....I'm not sure how many I ran in a row though.

I can't think of someone I wouldn't bet on the ghost in that game. Hell, I'd let SVB play it. Race to 10, ghost gets 9 on the wire?

Yeah... I'm betting the ghost against the world in that one.

rezin8

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
CJ, I realize it's not that hard for a player of Shane caliber to do it with ball in hand. I wouldn't do it game for game, or even an ahead set. But, if you or SVB or anyone else want to spot me 9 on the wire going to 10, the game is wide open for you.

Double-Dave

Developing cue-addict
Silver Member
I can only imagine Tedder got some serious odds on the money.
Would you bet against Shane if he got 10 tries? 20?

As for the Ginky spot, there must be more to that aswell, anything
even close to an average break will drive the 1 to a rail.

gr. Dave

Last edited:

CJ Wiley

ESPN WORLD OPEN CHAMPION
Gold Member
Silver Member
I went to Alabama to trap Tedder a few years ago

Yes, it's not possible to do it consistently, but be careful, in OK City they gave Johnny Archer one try and he ran 9 and barely messed up in game 10. Depending on the table I'd say a champion player could run 10 in a row in a matter of a few hours.

CJ, I realize it's not that hard for a player of Shane caliber to do it with ball in hand. I wouldn't do it game for game, or even an ahead set. But, if you or SVB or anyone else want to spot me 9 on the wire going to 10, the game is wide open for you.