What's the weakest part of your game

TheThaiger

Banned
Playing devil's advocate a bit here, but I'm a bit suspicious that so many people are saying the break. Do they play like Shane Van Boening but break like Stephen Hawking?

:confused:

Cdryden

Pool Addict
Silver Member
Playing devil's advocate a bit here, but I'm a bit suspicious that so many people are saying the break. Do they play like Shane Van Boening but break like Stephen Hawking?

:confused:

lol

Im actually surprised that this many people realize that its their biggest weakness and are admitting it. Most people just refuse to practice their break. I used to be that way but I made it a point to practice my break religiously until it got acceptable.

Sarnia Shorty

He's going to the bag
Silver Member
I am one of the people who said their break was a low point of their game. I can't complain much because I am one of the guys who just doesn't practice the break. One of these days I will have to pay my wife to hang around for an hour and keep racking the balls for me. :rolleyes:

cigardave

Who's got a light?
Silver Member
Of my many weaknesses - a long shot is my worst followed by a close second the ever popular: wavering (mental) focus

I learned pool playing 14.1 that's the only game everyone played when
I started and still my most comfortable game. I'm used to playing on only half a table.

I see more than 6 feet or so between cb and ob I get weak in the knees
and it's a 50/50 toss up if I'll make it.

Wish I could correct this major problem ....
Try this... throw out 1/2 dozen balls randomly on the table.

Take BIH and try to make the balls in numerical order... like you are playing 9-ball.

Play position to get within a shaft length (29") of your next object ball to be made. Target that position for each and every shot.

Doing so, you will certainly be playing the full table... and it's up to your ability to play position as to whether or not you end up with shots that are 6 feet and longer.

Sometimes you will... but in order to keep rotational runs alive, the distance from the CB to the next OB should be no more than the length of a cue shaft.

Try that and see how you do.

When you get to the point of making all 6 balls regularly, add 1 more and see how you do.

Jimbojim

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
My stability to be confident is my main weakness.

When I start to doubt myself because I think or feel something is off my B games becomes a Z game and I can't make anything. Can't stand properly, can't draw because I'm paranoing that I'm decelerating, hold my cue too loose or too tight because I'm " searching " for the right stroke.

Its funny because when my mind is free and I'm confident, I'm a really fierce competitor, I win or finish high in tourneys and string racks together (no more than 4....personal record) and I'm the happiest guy in the world.

Its all about doubt. Easier said than done. I have to do what my signature says and "chalk" my mind and not just my cue but I haven't found the secret cure for that yet as we can't manufacture confidence when the performance is really below par.

the420trooper

Free T-Rex
Silver Member
I am one of the people who said their break was a low point of their game. I can't complain much because I am one of the guys who just doesn't practice the break. One of these days I will have to pay my wife to hang around for an hour and keep racking the balls for me. :rolleyes:

An easier way to practice the break is to simply place the one ball on the spot and hit it as hard as you can...saves racking time, stress on your back, etc...

All we're looking for is a solid hit on the one, right? :D

(I'm not responsible for any broken windows.)

ceebee

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
A easy way to practice the Break Shot is to use a BreakRAK, it is a proven tool to practice the Break Shot....

Mankind learns through thinking & doing... repetition is the way to refine one's physical action.

PoolGrapevine

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Lol. maybe thread should be, what dont u do weakly"
i def hav more weaknesses than strengths, i gather all of us who r not pros feel the same.
but i do have a terible time drawing the ball from far distance. anyone got good tips?
i can break hard tho.

the420trooper

Free T-Rex
Silver Member
Lol. maybe thread should be, what dont u do weakly"
i def hav more weaknesses than strengths, i gather all of us who r not pros feel the same.
but i do have a terible time drawing the ball from far distance. anyone got good tips?
i can break hard tho.

I hate twitter-speak. :frown:

But, in the interest of trying to help the n00bs: You gotta loosen up that grip hand, yo.

Also, looking at the cue ball has never done me any good...my best draw comes from the times that I intensely stare at the OB, and then execute a high-quality stroke.

BluesTele

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Try this... throw out 1/2 dozen balls randomly on the table.

Take BIH and try to make the balls in numerical order... like you are playing 9-ball.

Play position to get within a shaft length (29") of your next object ball to be made. Target that position for each and every shot.

Doing so, you will certainly be playing the full table... and it's up to your ability to play position as to whether or not you end up with shots that are 6 feet and longer.

Sometimes you will... but in order to keep rotational runs alive, the distance from the CB to the next OB should be no more than the length of a cue shaft.

Try that and see how you do.

When you get to the point of making all 6 balls regularly, add 1 more and see how you do.

actually that is pretty much how i always have warmed up -

i throw all the balls on table and pocket in rotation.

i don't think that has addressed my inadequacy at long shots.

what that drill has done over the years is improve my (ball-on-a-string) position play.

phread59

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
My safety play is poor. I don't do well jacked shooting over a ball or coming off the rail. But my number 1 weakness is cutting. I can't make a long steep angle cut shot to save my life. Even short steep, thin hits are a difficult for me. I'm better on a 9' table. On a bar box, cutting kills me.

I do feel great though. So many of you have stated that the break is the weak spot. Heck it's the only part of my game that consistantly works for me. A light grip with lots of wrist snap, good to go. I guess mechanic's hands are good for something.

Mark Shuman

3kushn

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
First of all I hope the Instructors are listening on this one. It's maybe a good lesson for them. "What we need to work on in our own minds."

Here's some of my weaknesses off the top.

1) Little Structured Practice
2) Maintaining Concentration
3) Thinking too much
4) Not thinking enough
5) Not playing for months at a time.
6) Making the shot more complicated than needed
7) Not paying attention to results
8) Not caring a wit if I win or lose.
9) Not playing more tournaments.
10) Losing interest.
11) Nobody to play 3C near me.

Fill in the blank.