whats the wierdest??

HDR10

HR Custom Cues
Silver Member
or ugliest,nastiest type/color wood you have ever used/seen for cues?
reason for asking is I just cut down a black walnut thats really not black in the middle!more of a brownish with some funky looking streaks!
cant take any pics to show but its the funniest looking wood Ive seen

BLACKHEARTCUES

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
HDR10 said:
or ugliest,nastiest type/color wood you have ever used/seen for cues?
reason for asking is I just cut down a black walnut thats really not black in the middle!more of a brownish with some funky looking streaks!
cant take any pics to show but its the funniest looking wood Ive seen

I once had a customer (Irish), order a green cue with 1 point. He wanted to always play with the point up. I made him pay in advance...JER

HDR10

HR Custom Cues
Silver Member
BLACKHEARTCUES said:
I once had a customer (Irish), order a green cue with 1 point. He wanted to always play with the point up. I made him pay in advance...JER
do you remember what the wood was!!I gotta get my camera back to post some pics!!I think this would make a pretty cue(or handle or points/buttplate)might just have to send out a couple pieces and see what a few of you guys think

BLACKHEARTCUES

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
HDR10 said:
do you remember what the wood was!!I gotta get my camera back to post some pics!!I think this would make a pretty cue(or handle or points/buttplate)might just have to send out a couple pieces and see what a few of you guys think

Birdseye Maple, stained green with a black wrap, joint, butt cap & 1 black point...JER

qbilder

slower than snails
Silver Member
Funkiest looking wood I think is variegated grain mun ebony. It's kinda like macassar ebony but has a faint green tint to it. Next would be zircote. It's tough to imagine how the trees would have looked because the grain is so crazy.

MVPCues

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
qbilder said:
Funkiest looking wood I think is variegated grain mun ebony. It's kinda like macassar ebony but has a faint green tint to it. Next would be zircote. It's tough to imagine how the trees would have looked because the grain is so crazy.

You know how a big sycamore can have interlocking grain and be nearly impossible to split? Imagine the different interlocking pieces being different colors...that is how I imagine the figured ziricote grew.

Kelly

qbilder

slower than snails
Silver Member
Kelly_Guy said:
You know how a big sycamore can have interlocking grain and be nearly impossible to split? Imagine the different interlocking pieces being different colors...that is how I imagine the figured ziricote grew.

Kelly

Hmmmm, you might be right. I have seen elm the same way. Sycamore & elm are pretty danged ugly, though. Sycamore is also a VERY large tree, zircote not. But then again, elm is kinda small.

BHQ

we'll miss you
Silver Member
BLACKHEARTCUES said:

that's hilarious!!! a la the black dot shaft????? :D
at least you don't have to worry about the points being uneven ;)

brianna187

BRIANNA SINCE 1988
Silver Member
i have seen some cues where the maker uses scared or marked wood mostly birds eye thats de values the cue i cant see paying top dollar and getting scares

MVPCues

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
masonh said:
Ash,Red Palm or Black Palm to me look ugly.

I have a little curly American ash :D ...seeing it after a honey colored dye will make you be specific and say "English Ash". :p

Kelly

qbilder

slower than snails
Silver Member
My least favorite is bright white maple, just unnatural. Next to that would be ramin wood & honduras mahogany.

qbilder

slower than snails
Silver Member
Kelly_Guy said:
I have a little curly American ash :D ...seeing it after a honey colored dye will make you be specific and say "English Ash". :p

Kelly

;) Yup, good ole American ash is beautiful stuff. I have seen some that was so clean, straight & tight grained that I considered using it as shafts. I have seen some with fiddleback that put maple to shame!!! American white & black ash is nothing like Eurpean ash that you see in snooker cues.

masonh

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
yes i should have been more specific.European Ash is waht i don't like.it's a shame b/c it plays pretty well.

also like Eric said some of the bright white straight grained Maple is pretty bad too.

Sheldon

dontneednostinkintitle
Silver Member
Thank you, thank you! Finally, some recognition! :D
LOL!!
Sheldon said:
I could care less how "ugly" or odd a cue is, as long as my customer is happy with it. I am one of very few truly custom cue makers, and as such I make cues "to the customer's specifications". This means I am flexible and don't feel I have to push my personal preferences or specifications on anyone else.

gadroon

Registered
Hey Sheldon, glad to hear you are finally being recognized! I thought the cue with the Malachite was the coolest one, but this one is certainly unusual..... :) Patrick