What's your estimated fargo rating if you beat 9 ball ghost more often than not?

gxman

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
What was Sky's pre and post DCC fargo rating? It is 786 now.

Sky took down if I have it right, Ruslan and Kaci early on. Then LeeVan, Biado, and Dennis. Lost to Aranas, then Beat Aranas.

Thats 5-1 vs Fargo 800+ players

easy-e

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
What was Sky's pre and post DCC fargo rating? It is 786 now.

Sky took down if I have it right, Ruslan and Kaci early on. Then LeeVan, Biado, and Dennis. Lost to Aranas, then Beat Aranas.

Thats 5-1 vs Fargo 800+ players

It won't go up too much. They only record one game for each of those matches.

JC

Coos Cues
It won't go up too much. They only record one game for each of those matches.

They record the results of each game. So if the 800 plus is expected to win 11-9 and loses 11-10 instead the resulting boost to the lower player's fargo isn't much as the match went just slightly better than expected for the lower guy in the world of fargo. It doesn't notice who has the heart at hill hill or who chokes for the cheese. It's all about total games.

Once you are established you must not only win but blow other players away by lopsided scores to make much headway.

JC

mikepage

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I think her Fargo rating is lagging her actual speed, as she is young and rapidly improving. [...]

She's actually been playing at about the same level for the last few years. The 500 games logged in the past year has been at 700 - 705 or so.

easy-e

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
They record the results of each game. So if the 800 plus is expected to win 11-9 and loses 11-10 instead the resulting boost to the lower player's fargo isn't much as the match went just slightly better than expected for the lower guy in the world of fargo. It doesn't notice who has the heart at hill hill or who chokes for the cheese. It's all about total games.

Once you are established you must not only win but blow other players away by lopsided scores to make much headway.

JC

Right. But for the DCC, don't they record the results as simply 1-0 in favor of the winner? So if he beat SVB 11-10, he'd get credit for winning one rack from an 820 speed, not 10 racks.

mikepage

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Right. But for the DCC, don't they record the results as simply 1-0 in favor of the winner? So if he beat SVB 11-10, he'd get credit for winning one rack from an 820 speed, not 10 racks.

Actually the concept of "speed" for one rack doesn't exist.

Think of it like this. If you play TWO games against SVB and win one of them, then you played two games at 820 speed. That is, the score of 1 to 1 when scaled up is the same ratio as 100 to 100 or 1000 to 1000.

But when you play ONE game, the score is either 1 to 0 or 0 to 1, and these scale up to 1000 to 0 (God-like speed) or 0 to 1000 (the speed of a rock).

I think the way to think of a single game is by how you do compared to expectation.

So if I play SVB, I am expected to win, say, 20% of the games. So for a single game I am expected to win 0.2.

If I lose the game, I am only off by expectation by 0.2 games, and I won't go down much. If I WIN the game, I won 0.8 more games than expected and my bump-up will be bigger.

For evenly matches opponents, a 1 to 0 score has about the same effect as a hill - hill win, like 9 to 8. In either case the winner exceeded expectation by 0.5 games.

For two players with very different rating, these two scenarios are not at all alike

JC

Coos Cues

I don't think that's correct. My understanding of Fargo is it counts games and has no regard for match results. I think Mike confirmed this in a very over complicated way in the last post.

JC

cleary

Honestly, I'm a liar.
Silver Member
Actually the concept of "speed" for one rack doesn't exist.

Think of it like this. If you play TWO games against SVB and win one of them, then you played two games at 820 speed. That is, the score of 1 to 1 when scaled up is the same ratio as 100 to 100 or 1000 to 1000.

But when you play ONE game, the score is either 1 to 0 or 0 to 1, and these scale up to 1000 to 0 (God-like speed) or 0 to 1000 (the speed of a rock).

I think the way to think of a single game is by how you do compared to expectation.

So if I play SVB, I am expected to win, say, 20% of the games. So for a single game I am expected to win 0.2.

If I lose the game, I am only off by expectation by 0.2 games, and I won't go down much. If I WIN the game, I won 0.8 more games than expected and my bump-up will be bigger.

For evenly matches opponents, a 1 to 0 score has about the same effect as a hill - hill win, like 9 to 8. In either case the winner exceeded expectation by 0.5 games.

For two players with very different rating, these two scenarios are not at all alike

So if someone breaks and runs a 3 pack in a race to 3 against a 800, they played 800 speed? And if they break and run against a 733, they played 733 speed?

easy-e

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
I don't think that's correct. My understanding of Fargo is it counts games and has no regard for match results. I think Mike confirmed this in a very over complicated way in the last post.

JC

That's true for all tournaments that submit match scores. I'm pretty sure it's been said here that no match scores are submitted from the DCC so they just input scores as 1-0 in favor of the winner.

That's the only reason I made that reply about Sky's rating going up based on his performance at DCC. Any other tournament, all of the games he won would have been accounted for. Kinda frustrating that DCC doesn't submit the data.

Last edited:

Poolmanis

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Tried Ghost on 9ft Diamond today. Nine ball is feeling too easy. I was 9-1 and 11-3 up and gonna play until 30... Then I got money game challenge and stopped match vs. Ghost.
I played better than normal though. I also destroyed my challenger and whitewashed him 2 times and races to 8.
I think that players that have 650+ fargorate are favorites versus 9-ball Ghost.

Dan_B

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
I don't think if you out lagged me for the break and then ran the table 3 times
would see fargo saying you're only playing at a 411 pace. Nice try :wink:

I do like the 2 games, alternate break - 10 pt. scoring,
getting your spot plus what I make for a fair post up.

So if someone breaks and runs a 3 pack in a race to 3 against a 800, they played 800 speed? And if they break and run against a 733, they played 733 speed?

Last edited:

9BallKY

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The thing I don't understand about fargorate is I know a guy with a 634 established rating and he has no chance of even beating the ghost on a bar box. Also I know a guy who has a 648 rating and he gives a guy with a 700 rating the 8 and wins easily.

longhorns2

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The thing I don't understand about fargorate is I know a guy with a 634 established rating and he has no chance of even beating the ghost on a bar box. Also I know a guy who has a 648 rating and he gives a guy with a 700 rating the 8 and wins easily.

From what I understand about fargo rate you have to pay attention to "robustness" or how many games they have for you in the system. A good player can play his best pool in a couple tournaments and he'd be way overrated if that's all they have scored

9BallKY

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
From what I understand about fargo rate you have to pay attention to "robustness" or how many games they have for you in the system. A good player can play his best pool in a couple tournaments and he'd be way overrated if that's all they have scored

I understand the robustness part but I've known the guy since we were kids and I've never seen him play 700 speed even on a good day

Samiel

Sea Player
Silver Member
I tend to agree with the "around 600 Fargo" for beating the 9-ball ghost on a loose 8-footer. I'm below that right now and I'm pretty sure I'd have very little problems. On a 9-footer (especially a Pro-Cut Diamond), I think it'd be closer to a 625-650 at least.

#Cruncher

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Samiel, I agree with your assessment, except would tweak the 9 foot Diamond range to 650-675. It could vary a little out of the range depending how difficult the conditions are.