When is Dennis gonna learn how to shake hands

BRussell

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
YES!! To me, respecting the game and your opponent is not talking during their shot. Not standing in their sight line, or otherwise interfering with their game. Forcing a handshake afterward doesn't change the way I feel about my opponent, and it doesn't change the way they feel about me. It is just some silly forced interaction that people think might prevent a fight or something? I don't know.

In my league matches 95% of the time I smile, and chat with the guy / gal after I lose. 5% of the time they were complete jack-holes during the match and I want nothing to do with them. I ONLY shake their hand because I am literally forced to by our league rules. If I don't I could be labeled a poor sport and banned from the league. How stupid is that?

I'm not going to start a fight if I don't shake a hand because I'm not a bad person. If I don't want to have contact with that person that should be my choice.

As far as Shane and Dennis goes, that's between them, not us. I think that when they are in the arena, and they have their game faces on, if they truly don't like each other, that's fine. They have to be fair (not interfering) but why on earth do we feel a need to force them to pretend to be friends.

haha how is this a thread. why make it your business to care how some guy shakes some other guy's hand? having an opinion on dennis orcollo's hand-shake style is... well, i don't know, embarrassing? what are people worried about here? maybe he's not a good sport, so what. why does he have to be a good sport? if you don't like him, then go on not liking him. don't propose he should have to shake hands a certain way.

lol who is "forcing" anyone to do anything? People are just doing exactly what you want, highkarate - not liking what Dennis does, and putting it in a thread.

EL'nino

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
haha how is this a thread. why make it your business to care how some guy shakes some other guy's hand? having an opinion on dennis orcollo's hand-shake style is... well, i don't know, embarrassing? what are people worried about here? maybe he's not a good sport, so what. why does he have to be a good sport? if you don't like him, then go on not liking him. don't propose he should have to shake hands a certain way.
If it's embarrassing that I have an opinion about DO's handshake than think about how embarrassing it is that you have an opinion of my opinion of DO's handshake.

BRussell

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
So without false handshakes after a loss we devolve into anarchy? Human sacrifice! Dogs and cats living together! Mass hysteria!

Without all the little forced acts we do to keep things going smoothly, of which pool handshakes are a small one, yes, I do believe dogs and cats might live together.

PoolBum

Ace in the side.
Silver Member
They take off their hats because in the 1400's it was a way to show you didnt have a dragon concealed under your helmet.

That's pretty good, most people don't know that fact. Of course, it would have to be a baby dragon if it was concealed under your helmet, unless your helmet was massively disproportionately huge, which would probably give away the fact that you were hiding a full-grown dragon under it.

couldnthinkof01

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Why are people such piss poor losers? I just cant understand it. You even throw a fit when it is suggested on a pool forum that you shake your opponents hand after a match.

This has absolutely nothing to do with being competitive in nature and more to do with poor sportsmanship.

Respect for the game and the opponent who gave you the chance to test your skills in competition via handshake or fist bump doesn't seem too much to ask, apparently it is.

GodIsNotGreat

Registered
I think people need to make allowance for cultural differences.

Nose blowing in public is a social no-no in some Asian countries.

Slurping noodles is considered a sign of admiring the tastiness of the soup (Japan).

Filipino pool players high five after matches. They are not steeped in the nuances of the eye contact or firm handshakes either.

Some people are too eager to judge.

Disappointing.

spartan

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
ROFL
This thread is hilarious-went from DO turning head away to DO-SVB dating to 1400 history to baby dragon under helmet

BTW, Dennis already shook hands with Dennis-there is no protocol that says he has to look Shane in eyes.
This looks like an unnecessary thread to knock Dennis
:D

f210

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
ROFL
This thread is hilarious-went from DO turning head away to DO-SVB dating to 1400 history to baby dragon under helmet

BTW, Dennis already shook hands with Shane -there is no protocol that says he has to look Shane in eyes.

:thumbup: LOL, and how many seconds he is supposed to stare into Shane's eyes and how firm the hand shake should be before some people will be satisfied.

Last edited:

3RAILKICK

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I don't want to know at how many levels I am wrong, when, after our team loses a league match, I shake each of the other team members' hand.

I usually tell them "nice match, except for the kicking our azz part.":)

Straightpool_99

I see dead balls
Silver Member
One of the many good reasons to have "pointless" customs like shaking hands after a match etc. is to let you know who has got character enough to overcome their disappointment, and who will pout like a small child. Of course one could look to patterns of welching on bets, throwing tantrums etc. to give you clues about someones character, but that would require some knowledge of the person in question. The handshake lets you know in the most elegant and parsimonious way possible, kind of an ancient piece of social engineering.

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
The mandatory after loss handshake is bullshit in my opinion. If a guy gets beat and respects the way the other guy won and played and wants to shake his hand then awesome. But the fake going through the motions thing with a disgusted look on his face just looks dumb.

Add in the all the cultural differences and it just makes it even more silly. I want a player to show sportsmanship during the match and how he conducts himself not by acknowledging losing in a good way after its over.

This isnt little league baseball or high school football. Its pro's playing for money. There is enough BS involved already no need to ad in more fake rituals. I think the loser should have the prerogative of offering his hand if he wants without it being mandatory. If not then next match.

Thanks for this dose of reality Justin. We both know Dennis very well and know him to be an honorable man and an equally honorable competitor. Just watch Dennis play sometime. He will stand or sit perfectly still while his opponent is shooting and sharking is not in his vocabulary. He will beat you fair and square! You would be hard pressed to find another player who has a bad word to say about Dennis (Shane being the exception and even he thinks their dispute is amusing).

I'm proud to call Dennis my friend. He is a good man in my book. I can always count on him to keep his word and do the right thing, unlike some other pool players that shall remain nameless on here. This only goes to show me that what you see on camera may not reflect the real person.

Fats was depicted as a low life hustler and Mosconi as simon-pure. In truth the opposite was more the case. But please feel free to keep on spreading rumors and nonsense about one of the great players in pool today.

P.S. Dennis is a quiet and reserved man in person, not quick to develop a friendship with a stranger, but still friendly to everyone he meets. He is also a very proud man and will withdraw when he feels slighted in some way. In this way he is a typical Filipino. They are great people and loyal friends but if you abuse that friendship you will get the cold shoulder indefinitely. Dennis Orcullo is a real man and I have the utmost respect for him. He came from utter poverty to get where he is today. As a young man if he lost a pool game he was literally sleeping in the dirt outside the poolroom. He lost his father at sea when Dennis was three years old and Dennis was a full time fisherman by the time he was eight. He went 20-30 miles out to sea with only his older brother Julius on a 16 foot skiff to catch fish that they could sell for a few dollars. To this day he is a very strong swimmer who can hold his breath underwater for over two minutes. How many of you had to go through anything like that to make something of yourself in life?

Last edited:

(((Satori)))

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
One of the many good reasons to have "pointless" customs like shaking hands after a match etc. is to let you know who has got character enough to overcome their disappointment, and who will pout like a small child. Of course one could look to patterns of welching on bets, throwing tantrums etc. to give you clues about someones character, but that would require some knowledge of the person in question. The handshake lets you know in the most elegant and parsimonious way possible, kind of an ancient piece of social engineering.

There aint nobody fake that overcome anything. They still have the same character inside stewing but they just fake it to look good to others. So he let his emotion show... big deal.

Ak Guy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
A good hand shake

I was taught to deliver a firm hand shake and to look the other person in the eye for as long as the hand shake lasts.

A hand shake is a way of showing mutual respect and if some one can't show that respect to another player whether they win or loose then we get a glimpse of their character.

I still remember Dennis standing up when Mika was down on a shot and trying to use the cue ball to see if there was space to pass through balls for a shot and Shane called him on it. Just saying.....

He is what he is and that is a great pool player and I doubt if him and Shane have a big feud going on, but I think some wish they did.

(((Satori)))

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Thanks for this dose of reality Justin. We both know Dennis very well and know him to be an honorable man and an equally honorable competitor. Just watch Dennis play sometime. He will stand or sit perfectly still while his opponent is shooting and sharking is not in his vocabulary. He will beat you fair and square! You would be hard pressed to find another player who has a bad word to say about Dennis (Shane being the exception and even he thinks their dispute is amusing).

I'm proud to call Dennis my friend. He is a good man in my book. I can always count on him to keep his word and do the right thing, unlike some other pool players that shall remain nameless on here. This only goes to show me that what you see on camera may not reflect the real person.

Fats was depicted as a low life hustler and Mosconi as simon-pure. In truth the opposite was more the case. But please feel free to keep on spreading rumors and nonsense about one of the great players in pool today.

P.S. Dennis is a quiet and reserved man in person, not quick to develop a friendship with a stranger, but still friendly to everyone he meets. He is also a very proud man and will withdraw when he feels slighted in some way. In this way he is a typical Filipino. They are great people and loyal friends but if you abuse that friendship you will get the cold shoulder indefinitely. Dennis Orcullo is a real man and I have the utmost respect for him. He came from utter poverty to get where he is today. As a young man if he lost a pool game he was literally sleeping in the dirt outside the poolroom. He lost his father at sea when Dennis was three years old and Dennis was a full time fisherman by the time he was eight. He went 20-30 miles out to sea with only his older brother Julius on a 16 foot skiff to catch fish that they could sell for a few dollars. To this day he is a very strong swimmer who can hold his breath underwater for over two minutes. How many of you had to go through anything like that to make something of yourself in life?

That is a great story. Anybody that climbs up out of poverty deserves respect because they have changed the lives of their family and their future generations. If the small stuff you read about here, written by people in an attempt to smear his character, is the worst that he has done to climb his way out then he is morally a saint imo. I love stories of athletes who worked hard to become the best in their feild in order to make a better life for them and theirs because they put their time and effort into something good and it paid off.

Tell him good luck next month in the big match.

Last edited:

genomachino

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I totally agree Mike.....

He was getting crushed and made up the 5 games just to dog a relatively easy ball and not get back to the table...how do you really think he was feeling after that? What's that phrase about a good loser???

Shook his hand. Can't expect him to do cart wheels.

How should one act when they lose? Who writes the rules?

Has nothing to do with Character but that's my opinion.

Dennis is a pretty nice guy........

EL'nino

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
ROFL

BTW, Dennis already shook hands with Dennis-there is no protocol that says he has to look Shane in eyes.
Actually I am a very big fan of Dennis & love watching him play, I just feel that it is poor sportsmanship to "intentionally" turn your head away during what is an important part of any legitimate competition "the post match handshake"

EL'nino

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Jay, as I said in this thread, I think Dennis is one of the nicest players on tour. I truly like the guy and love the player. I certainly did not mean to question his character or his integrity here & I sincerely apologize if it appears I did. But I do feel that a "respectable" hand shake is required after any competition & Dennis' handshake is as disrespectful as he can make it. Dennis is an awesome human being and I admire him greatly. That's a fact

I Got Lucky

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Actually I am a very big fan of Dennis & love watching him play, I just feel that it is poor sportsmanship to "intentionally" turn your head away during what is an important part of any legitimate competition "the post match handshake"

To explain how a Filipino feels after losing a match and having to congratulate the winner with a handshake is futile unless you have lived here and understand the culture.