When Matchroom purchased the U S Open from the Behrman family

Fatboy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I think you may want to watch your step. How would you like this to happen?

View attachment 666394
(Stolen from a FleeceBunk post about the unorange five.)
I have an issue with the green & purple balls. Is that a 6 or a 9? Which is which? I’m confused.

Hope you enjoyed the tourney Bob, was a great event this year over all.

Best
Fatboy 😃

tomatoshooter

Aside from the color of the balls being screwed with, the game of nineball as is played is fundamentally flawed in my opinion. I idea that one person run a whole rack up the eight, then hang the nine and their opponent taps in the bal and wins the rack is ridiculous. Also the format being used in the US Open where someone can come from the 1 loss side and eliminate someone who has never lost in the last sixteen is also ridiculous. They should allow for a true double elimination where everyone can lose once, whereby the person who enters the finals with one loss has to beat his opponent who has not lost twice. If not that then simply go to a single elimination for the whole tournament.

I know this won’t happen, just some thoughts,
I like the final sixteen being single elimination, I'm not sure how they actually seed it, I think having the 8 undefeated players face presumably weaker opponents from the loser's side is good. In most pool tournaments, the final is single elimination, I think shifting that to the last 16 is a good move.

As far as missing the last ball and leaving an easy shot, that's the game. As long as the sets are long enough, I don't think it's a problem. If there was another game that they feel had more entertainment value, they'd be pushing it. Is there another game that you think is a better test of the players' skills and is it entertaining? One pocket is too slow, 8 ball is too easy for the pros, straight pool is not a familiar game to a lot of people and I don't think it's the best for spectators, either.

Fatboy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I like the final sixteen being single elimination, I'm not sure how they actually seed it, I think having the 8 undefeated players face presumably weaker opponents from the loser's side is good. In most pool tournaments, the final is single elimination, I think shifting that to the last 16 is a good move.

As far as missing the last ball and leaving an easy shot, that's the game. As long as the sets are long enough, I don't think it's a problem. If there was another game that they feel had more entertainment value, they'd be pushing it. Is there another game that you think is a better test of the players' skills and is it entertaining? One pocket is too slow, 8 ball is too easy for the pros, straight pool is not a familiar game to a lot of people and I don't think it's the best for spectators, either.
I agree with most of your post. Except 8B isn’t easy. It’s a very difficult game with many small edges, moves, tricks and traps much like 1P. Don’t discount it as a “easy” game. I’ve robbed guys playing rotation games only to get robbed right back by them playing 8B. Firepower isn’t going to win 8B. Knowledge will, like 1P.

Best
Fatboy 😃

tomatoshooter

I agree with most of your post. Except 8B isn’t easy. It’s a very difficult game with many small edges, moves, tricks and traps much like 1P. Don’t discount it as a “easy” game. I’ve robbed guys playing rotation games only to get robbed right back by them playing 8B. Firepower isn’t going to win 8B. Knowledge will, like 1P.

Best
Fatboy 😃
You are right that 8 ball has more strategic depth, in some ways, I think it's a much better game than 9 ball but the pros seem to run out too reliably. It's funny, in 9 ball you can luck in a shot but you have to play for more difficult position, in 8 ball you have to make the shot but you can get lucky with position. Calling it easy isn't the best description I could have used, but it seems like the pros can navigate a rack of 8 ball more easily than 9 ball.

Fatboy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
You are right that 8 ball has more strategic depth, in some ways, I think it's a much better game than 9 ball but the pros seem to run out too reliably. It's funny, in 9 ball you can luck in a shot but you have to play for more difficult position, in 8 ball you have to make the shot but you can get lucky with position. Calling it easy isn't the best description I could have used, but it seems like the pros can navigate a rack of 8 ball more easily than 9 ball.
8B is a great game. Not better than 9B or 10B, just different. Black ball in the UK is wonderful too and Chinese 8B. All good games.

Take what you make on the break is my favorite version of 8B.

Express 8B is less tactile and a more fire power type game.

Also the traffic on the barbox makes 8B a great game on the small table.

As far as runouts yes sometimes pros can. I watched Cory break and run a 10 pack once, clean. Thorpe didn’t get out of his chair. In Deluth in 2017 I’d guess maybe 16.

Best
Fatboy 😃

skogstokig

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Best
Fatboy 😃

next month we'll find out just how challenging it is for the pros. i'm afraid it may become a disappointment in that regard but i'm very happy we get to see it (first WC in many many years)

Fatboy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
next month we'll find out just how challenging it is for the pros. i'm afraid it may become a disappointment in that regard but i'm very happy we get to see it (first WC in many many years)
That’s great. Glad they are doing it. I get bored with rotation games all the time😃

Hungarian

C'mon, man!
Silver Member
Wow. Paranoid much? The balls(which i detest too btw) were co-designed by Emily at Matchroom and Aramith. The 'story' is that these are 'supposed' to be easier to see on smaller screens aka smartfones. I don't know if MR gets any $ from Aramith on sets sold. You're overstating the possibility of getting spammed to death. I have not heard that at all. IMO MR is the best thing to happen in pro pool since i started playing pool in '78. The PBT was good but this is on a global level. As for the US Open purchase everything i read/heard was that MR made the family an offer that no US person/co. could come close to.
Not trying to argue here, but they didn't have to change the color of two balls to achieve the goal making the balls easier to see. They could have just changed the 5 (and 15) to pink and left the 4 (and 14) purple, even if it's a lighter shade of purple. My mind is having a very hard time following the balls and numbers now because two ball colors have changed. I also like what Matchroom is doing but I would say Emily went overboard on ball color.
1665990066718.png

Fatboy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Not trying to argue here, but they didn't have to change the color of two balls to achieve the goal making the balls easier to see. They could have just changed the 5 (and 15) to pink and left the 4 (and 14) purple, even if it's a lighter shade of purple. My mind is having a very hard time following the balls and numbers now because two ball colors have changed. I also like what Matchroom is doing but I would say Emily went overboard on ball color.
View attachment 666421
That was my problem too, looking at the runout pattern as I’ve been doing for 80% if my life. I can see the “out” pretty much instantly-with the correct color balls. Watching those matches (I watched more than I expected) I was confused as much afterwards as I was at first. Old habits are hard to break, and this habit I’m not interested in changing.

The pink 4 is fine actually. The purple 5 is the end of the world, and looking 3-4-5 balls ahead of the “out” isn’t clear the 5 always seems to be a problem because it’s in the middle of the 1,2,3,4,5,6,8,9.

If the 1 or 2 was an improper color then it wouldn’t be an issue for long as it’s potted early in the rack. Most trouble in running a rack of 9B is usually in the middle of the rack. Figuring out the routs to get out or to break up clusters.

The cameras are so good, the gray cloth is ok too, I prefer green, but I’ll take the gray over the blue any time. Even the 9 ball looks cool, the CB is cool.

I understand MR wants to have a “look of their own” for their productions-great! That’s just fine, I think that’s a good idea. But the purple 5 is not something I can or ever will get past.

I’ve seen very little opposition to our (the audience) strong feelings about this, we are the majority, we are MR customers. Isn’t the customer always right? Seems I’ve heard that before.

Again zero knock on MR, they are doing great! Karl is brilliant for commentary and the rest of the crew.

I’ll praise them until the cows come home for all they have done/

I’ll plead to make the 5 ANYTHING but purple.

Im off to bed,

Hell I’ll buy all the sets of balls to replace the purple 5 at my own expense and give them to MR for free if that’s what it takes. Try me-im not bullshitting.

Best
Fatboy<——-money where his mouth is😃

PS: OT but I’ll mention it, I really like the solution for the break this year. Was fair and balanced. Was the best solution I’ve seen in a tourney in a long time. MR is doing a hell of a job💪💪💪

JAM

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Were there no Americans willing to take it on?

The Brits would never consider changing the color of the balls in the English snooker championships because they have respect for the game. They have no respect for the American game which is why they screw with it for the sole purpose of trying to sell sets of balls with these new colors.

In order to watch the finals I was supposed to give my email address to the Brits and then likely get a bunch of spam in my inbox.

If the governing body of professional pool of North America, the BCA (Billiards Congress of America), doesn't put forth much of an effort to help professional pool thrive in USA, sponsor more professional-caliber players with money instead of product so they can survive with payouts that haven't increased since the 1980s, create a professional tour much like the European Pocket Billiard Federation (EPBF), promote pool like the Hong Kong Billiard Sports Control Council did for snooker when it created a word record for a live audience at the Hong Kong Masters, as far as I'm concerned, the U.S. Open 9-Ball Championship was for sale to the highest bidder, which happened to be Matchroom.

I remember going to the U.S. Open 9-Ball Championship several times when Barry Behrman was owner, and if you peered out into the audience seats, the majority of audience members were players, players' friends and families, and there were not that many paying pool enthusiasts to support the event. People whined and moaned about having to pay the entrance fee back then. When I looked out into the audience of the recent U.S. Open 9-Ball Championship in Atlantic City by Matchroom, the audience members, once again, seemed to consist of players, players' friends and families, and some interested spectators. Not much has changed in that department if you compare today to 20-plus years ago.

I'm in a wait-and-see mode to see how pool will rise in popularity thanks to Matchroom's efforts to be the change agent for the better. Personally, I cannot see how Matchroom profits at all with the production costs and other associated costs that go into events they are making happen around the world. But then again, maybe that's why pool enthusiasts, even the loyal pool enthusiasts, must pay to watch these events live. I guess DAZN was the highest bidder for pool in the USA. That speaks volumes as far as pool's popularity here, and that's not Matchroom's fault or DAZN's fault. The BCA could and should step up to the plate and put some money into North American pool.

We need new blood in the American lot of professional players. Look at the amount of pro-caliber players we had in the '80s, a sampling of which is in the below-depicted video, compare that to today. And this video is just a sampling, as there were many more pro-caliber American players not shown in this video. Therein lies the problem no one seems to want to address.

I feel like today American pool is on a sinking ship, and some diehard pool enthusiasts are jumping off and moving on to better things. To be a pro player in USA, number one, it is a rich man's high, unless you have a stakehorse with deep pockets or a spouse with money. And to be a loyal pool fan and railbird today, it is also becoming a rich man's high. That's why the U.S. Open 9-Ball Championship was for sale to the highest bidder. American professional pool is on a downward slope and has been for some time.

Last edited:

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
View attachment 666421
I'm just going by what was said when they first came out. Better visibility on fone screens was one of the reasons given. Complete BS in my opinion. Emily just wanted MR to have their own set.

benjaminwah

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I also think a fantastic move for Matchroom would be to partner with Netflix. Matchroom is sitting on so much amazing footage. Expose the public to some drama filled Mosconi Cups!! If they want to build the brand they need to get this stuff in front of audiences they wouldn’t normally have access to.

Welder84

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I agree they disrespected our tradition and changed our balls

Let’s set up a gofundme and buy snooker and make their coveted black ball orange!

Best
Fatboy <——-the Queen’s dead (rip) now the window is open to attack the UK. J/K
Or resurrected our broke down, disfunctional, $hit $how of a sport and fixed it (whichever way you would like to look at it). 😂

I myself hope the Brits make American pool resemble Snooker in terms of popularity and payout.

#Orange Balls Don't Cry.

😆

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I also think a fantastic move for Matchroom would be to partner with Netflix. Matchroom is sitting on so much amazing footage. Expose the public to some drama filled Mosconi Cups!! If they want to build the brand they need to get this stuff in front of audiences they wouldn’t normally have access to.
Really??? All we need is WokeFlix trying to promote pool.

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Not even Trudeau came up with a scam where he changed the color of the balls so he could try to make a few bucks selling the goofy balls. That's a new low.
MR is not involved with the selling afaik. You have any idea how big a co. MR is? You think they changed the colors in order to make a lil $$ ?? Please. We all hate them btw. Also, KT was/is a COMPLETE pos scam artist. To compare anything he did to what MR is doing is an ALL TIME LOW.

Last edited:

Island Drive

Otto/Dads College Roommate/Cleveland Browns
Silver Member
Jam, the BCA is a trade organization, not a player's organization.
I'm pretty sure Steve DuCoff, the executive director at the time, made the decision to allow the Board to let in Non-Trade entities, Mark Griffin and Rene Pehlman/APA. Which in many ways makes sense, it's NOT a player's organization. I was made up of trade members, like Viking Cues etc.
After that, the BCA wound down it's player/league programs.
Then, a HUGE miscue when the Duke/Ducoff didn't read the fine print, and the BCA guaranteed the E. Coast trade show$ room$ would be filled, like they Always did in Vega$$$$$$$$$$. That started that BCA ship listing, and eventually to become what it is today.
As far as the American Sport of pool is concerned, I would of liked to of seen MR create A true semi-pro qualifying event Tour with points, allowing the SVB Jr Program the ability to evolve, and give youth a steppingstone to a pro career.

upindaklub

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Were there no Americans willing to take it on?

The Brits would never consider changing the color of the balls in the English snooker championships because they have respect for the game. They have no respect for the American game which is why they screw with it for the sole purpose of trying to sell sets of balls with these new colors.

In order to watch the finals I was supposed to give my email address to the Brits and then likely get a bunch of spam in my inbox.
use a burner email account, no big deal then