When you can't get natural angle;.... do you use draw or follow?

Which do you normally use? Follow? or Draw? (Assuming you cannot use natural angle)

• Just a SINGLE CHOICE to poll AZ'ers as to which they tend to use more often. I've made visual obs of

Votes: 2 66.7%
  • several talented players and seems even they have no preference. Which do you like?

Votes: 1 33.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

NevadaP

This seems like a no-brainer to me. I'd go follow with right spin. Cheating the pocket will help. If you use draw here you'll be reversing the momentum of the cue, which means applying a greater force to the cue. More likely to miscue or make another error with additional force.

The_JV

'AZB_Combat Certified'
Why would you "Jack up slightly"?
"Jacking up" without hitting it with pace won't really do anything. However in this case wherein you're going to need some pace on the CB anyway, so jacking up will cause the CB to be in the air ever so slightly. Between the tiny cut angle and the above OB equator contact point, the CB will end up caroming off the OB at a steeper angle. Also the now bouncing (after contact) CB wth forward spin will not react with the cloth until it begins to settle. This extra carom angle and delayed forward motion will help when spining off the long rail to the 9 ball.

Great way to move the CB around without having to swing for the fences. I personally use the method constantly.

Last edited:

pw98

Registered
87dcb.png

How I shoot this shot really depends on the pockets.
If they are loose I will aim to hit the rail, jail up a little with high right, and create the angle with the masse.
If the pockets are tight I go rail first with high right.

Drawing on this shot is asking for a sellout unless you have an absolute monster draw stroke and the table is dry.

pw98

Registered
After the cueball contacts the 8 the masse will take and instead of hitting the rail flat it will hit at more of an angle that goes to the other end of the table and the sidespin will grab better opening up the angle even more and giving it some speed.

SmoothStroke

Swim for the win.
Silver Member
The same shot can be made with both balls frozen to the rail.
Seperate the balls by one diamond and practice with draw and follow until you get the stroke speed ,english, and a clean hit, then increase the distance.
It's easy to get frustrated trying this until you finally hit it right, watch the cue ball spin it's way up into position.

Nick B

This is gonna hurt
Silver Member
It's "never" 50/50. It always favors one way or the other. But by default it would be forward. If I'm really flat and close to the rail as diagrammed I would go rail first or slide off it and play a containing safe.

CocoboloCowboy

Cowboys are my hero's
Silver Member
sorry, had to edit. Not too good with transfers from the web.
Never ever apologies it is a sign of weekness.

Most of the asshats pointing to simple mistakes other people make are people without lives, but find fault in little stuff.

Yes big mistakes like killing or seriously injuring someone is what I call a big deal.

Ask most of the nitpickers their greatest accomplishment in life beside breathing an involuntary action. They for the most part have none to list.

ShootingArts

Smorg is giving St Peter the 7!
Gold Member
Silver Member

I guess it is time to watch the cavalry trilogy again!

As for the original question, I will use some high right running english on the ball, mostly high, a little right. More likely than not I will go rail first because it lets me shoot the shot softer with better speed control. A favorite shot of mine without a bridge ball, I have made it countless times so it is almost a given and a gimme.

Hu

BRussell

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
ok, I tried to edit but it won't let me renew.
Here is what I meant.
DRAW or FOLLOW usually using 2 rails to get from the 8 to the 9.

I've seen several good players in multiple rooms use both. Sometimes even the same player used both.
So, I wondered what azer's thought..... ONE DAY , I Will set up these polls right! 😖😖

The way I’d think about it is that you’ve got to cheat the pocket a lot to get down table. If you draw, you’ve got to hit it harder than with follow (because with draw you’re relying purely on spin), which makes the miss more likely. So it makes more sense to follow.

Patrick Johnson

Fish of the Day
Silver Member
Why would you "Jack up slightly"?
Slight post-collision masse and also a little curve before the collision. Both of those will get a better angle into the side cushion to go up the table. It is much harder to aim but I think it gives you a better chance to get to the 9 ball.
I like cheating the pocket hitting a little harder and lower to give a wider stun angle off the OB and more spin off the rail.

With the "mirroring" effect of the rail I think there's more cheating room than it might appear.

pj
chgo

Dunnn51

Clear the table!
Silver Member

Most of the asshats pointing to simple mistakes other people make are people without lives, but find fault in little stuff.

Yes big mistakes like killing or seriously injuring someone is what I call a big deal.

Ask most of the nitpickers their greatest accomplishment in life beside breathing an involuntary action. They for the most part have none to list.
ya right Bro. I was being polite.
Cowboy, YOU are my (AZB) Hero!💪

Dunnn51

Clear the table!
Silver Member
The way I’d think about it is that you’ve got to cheat the pocket a lot to get down table. If you draw, you’ve got to hit it harder than with follow (because with draw you’re relying purely on spin), which makes the miss more likely. So it makes more sense to follow.
I like the pocket cheat myself.

chenjy9

Assuming I am trying to make it, I would try to cheat the pocket with follow and a lot of right spin and try to position and try to get as close to the middle diamond as possible on a 2 rail bounce. That said, I would also consider eyeing a defensive play where I try to stick the cue as close to short size rail while sticking the 8 as close to long rail as possible behind first diamond.