Where does Mike Dechaine rank

rackemup20

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'm seeing the thread about Justin Bergman so just wanted to ask an get people's opinion where do you think Mike Dechaine ranks in terms of American pool players. Let's see if mike puts his two cents in

DAVE_M

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The way I see it, he ranks right up there with the rest of the "USA Champions" (Since the Brits on AzB get pissed when we call them World Class).

It's unfair to most players when everyone wants to compare this guy or that guy to SVB. Mike is where he is today, because he's proved he can play.

or1pkt

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I don't think he is even in the top 10 personally but that's just my opinion..

nicksaint26

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
He is a top 5 US player in 9 and 10 ball which is why his snub on the Mosconi Cup in my opinion has nothing to do with his game just his attitude.

Last edited:

cueaddicts

AzB Gold Member
Silver Member
How can you realistically rank the pro players, without a bona fide tour ?? Seems maddening to even try. :)

real bartram

Real Cold Steel
Silver Member
I'm seeing the thread about Justin Bergman so just wanted to ask an get people's opinion where do you think Mike Dechaine ranks in terms of American pool players. Let's see if mike puts his two cents in

In 9 ball or 10 ball mike is top 5 in the USA for sure
I don't know much about 14.1 but I think mike plays it well
He don't play banks or 1 pocket from what I know

iusedtoberich

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I put him #2 behind Shane in rotation games. I'd bet on him to beat Corey, Archer, Hatch, Morris, Moore, etc.

pwd72s

recreational banger
Silver Member
I'd say Dechaine is in the top 10 of USA players. But let's face it, SVB is number one by a pretty wide margin, then the next 9 are a "pick 'em", depending on the day...

randallt6

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Mike is like 2nd in BCA points if I'm correct. It's a complete joke he isn't on the mosconi cup..... Mark Wilson doesn't like him so he doesn't get on, even though I think he plays better than 4 of the other picks on there.

nine_ball6970

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Mike is like 2nd in BCA points if I'm correct. It's a complete joke he isn't on the mosconi cup..... Mark Wilson doesn't like him so he doesn't get on, even though I think he plays better than 4 of the other picks on there.

Team chemistry is a part of any team event. Sometimes it is better to have players who play slightly worse but can play as a team. That is why we get crushed in the Mosconi Cup. Europe always stays composed and they all get a long. USA has been pretty dysfunctional with temper tantrums from various players. If a player blows up, then they are pretty worthless to the team because they aren't performing to their true ability. This is even more true in a pressure packed event like the Mosconi Cup. I think a team of SVB, Deuel, Bergman, Dominguez, and Woodward would do well because they stay composed while playing.

poolguy4u

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Hmmm....

I think he is one of the best in the New England states or the Noth:thumbup:East part of the country.

boogeyman

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Team chemistry is a part of any team event. Sometimes it is better to have players who play slightly worse but can play as a team. That is why we get crushed in the Mosconi Cup. Europe always stays composed and they all get a long. USA has been pretty dysfunctional with temper tantrums from various players. If a player blows up, then they are pretty worthless to the team because they aren't performing to their true ability. This is even more true in a pressure packed event like the Mosconi Cup. I think a team of SVB, Deuel, Bergman, Dominguez, and Woodward would do well because they stay composed while playing.

Dear Nine_ball.

Your sentence in the above quote (in bold) summarizes why certain players need to be picked and others left off.
As we know, the MC is a TEAM-based event, and until we approach it in that manner, our chance for success will continue to decline,
while simultaneously the Europeans will continue to improve on account of their improvement in their individual skills—
the Europeans already have the TEAM-based concept whipped.

I don't blame U.S. pool players entirely for losing touch with the team-based concept.
This individuality state of mind is inveterate in our pool culture.
Our current best product, SVB, seems to favor doing it on his own—not a dig on him, just reality. Go SVB!

Last edited:

robsnotes4u

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Have to agree

I am not a Mike Dechaine fan, one of the few I will turn off a stream of. Even though I feel that way, I will go with what Chris Bartram says. Chris has played them all, and has a better reality on how they play.

playpool2

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I am not a Mike Dechaine fan, one of the few I will turn off a stream of. Even though I feel that way, I will go with what Chris Bartram says. Chris has played them all, and has a better reality on how they play.

Just for a little balance, I buy/watch matches if Mike is playing. He has a tremendous grasp of the game and shoots as straight as anyone.

When you see comments like " I hate him for the way he chalks his cue" is a testimonial to some of the wacky thoughts that permeate throughout this forum.

robsnotes4u

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Appleton

I think my not in the top 10 was a stretch...so I like corey, dennis hatch, bergaman, skyler, shane, and appleton over mike d

Umm, Appleton isn't from the US. If you add him you might as well add Toasty who lives in the US, and is from over seas