tamarisk002.jpg

tamarisk001.jpg

Gambel oak
tamarisk2003.jpg

Rocky mountain maple
tamarisk2002.jpg

Tamarisk
tamarisk2004.jpg

I love obscure woods. Might get a cue blank or two from these. Milled seven of the tamarisk logs, two oak burls, & four rocky mountain maple burls. Got two more maple burls & several more tamarisk to mill, one tamarisk burl that is about the size of a bar box.

Dannydizzan

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Arnt burls to weak to make cues out of? AE cues told me there burl inlays kept cracking so they stopped using it.

Many cues and cue makers use a variety of burls all the time.
Amboyna burl and Thuya burl are a couple you may have heard of. I am sure as with any type of wood, there are some that are usable and some that either dont work well or require additional knowledge.

qbilder

slower than snails
Silver Member
Arnt burls to weak to make cues out of? AE cues told me there burl inlays kept cracking so they stopped using it.

You can use toilet paper to build cues if you can effectively strengthen & stabilize it. Granted it might result in more resin than toilet paper, but it's still a toilet paper base. Not a wood on the planet i'd be afraid of using if it were properly prepared. It's nothing but some extra work. Some builders may not feel comfortable with it & that's fine. Only they can decide what's best for them. But others are comfortable with it & use it commonly without any issue.

meridianblades

BIG SHILL
Silver Member
You can use toilet paper to build cues if you can effectively strengthen & stabilize it. Granted it might result in more resin than toilet paper, but it's still a toilet paper base. Not a wood on the planet i'd be afraid of using if it were properly prepared. It's nothing but some extra work. Some builders may not feel comfortable with it & that's fine. Only they can decide what's best for them. But others are comfortable with it & use it commonly without any issue.

Toilet paper micarta.... :grin: a lot like the shredded money micarta, that was saturated and pressed.

scdiveteam

Rick Geschrey
Silver Member

DMZ,

There is a look that people who who use this stuff are after. They must stabilize it because it is not stabile and that is a price you pay to use it.

It it good to use after a process but you have to like that kind of look. There are many cue buyers who like it so I guess it is worth the time and money to do it.

It does make some freaky cool grain pattern in cues for sure.

Rick

JoeyInCali

Maker of Joey Bautista Cues
Silver Member

I heard your dipping tank is bigger than the shop.:grin-square:

opiesbro

Big Al Customs
Silver Member
Oak Burl

I just found out my father in law has been holding out on me! He told me tonight that he has a 10yr old large oak burl that has been cut up. I am very anxious to see it and get my hands on some of it! ;)