Where's Glen Hancock (Therealkingcobra)?!?

jimmyg

Mook! What's a Mook?
Silver Member
The remake of that came out in 2006 and at that time I was traveling 45+ weeks a year and renting from Hertz 50+ times a year. It was only available at one airport I frequented (Denver) but whenever I actually left the airport they were sold out :cry:
If I recall correctly, the '66-'67 was fitted with twin Weber 4 barrel carbs.

Last edited:

Chili Palmer

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The 4.6 might be one of the best sounding v8's ever produced.

Jaden

I'm currently building an all aluminum turbo 4.6 for either a drag truck or a swap into my frs. I had just finished a custom turbo no a VR6 jetta, but right after I got it idling on the standalone ecu it caught on fire and burned to the ground. I was lucky it didn't take my house with it.

I'm a 5.0 guy but my neighbor just picked up a used rental 1996 SN95 with 90,000 miles for $5K! Thing is mint, my guess is what sitting at a small airport or something. Either way, I was amazed when he said it was a rental.

Jaden

"no buds chill"
Silver Member
I'm a 5.0 guy but my neighbor just picked up a used rental 1996 SN95 with 90,000 miles for $5K! Thing is mint, my guess is what sitting at a small airport or something. Either way, I was amazed when he said it was a rental.
Hey I had a 95 sn95 that I supercharged, it's right there as far as sound goes...

Jaden

Chili Palmer

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Hey I had a 95 sn95 that I supercharged, it's right there as far as sound goes...

Jaden

Yep, the 94-95 SN95's were still 5.0 which means it has the carryover '93 hypereutectic pistons and could take a little boost, but not too much. The 92 and down fox guys would search out the 93 and up engines for the pistson's, the 93-95 guys were upgrading to forged or other race oriented stuff.

They switched to the modular 4.6 in 1996. People hated it in the beginning but it took hold and has a pretty good cult following and can make decent power for cheap, that's about all I know of those.

Jaden

"no buds chill"
Silver Member
Yep, the 94-95 SN95's were still 5.0 which means it has the carryover '93 hypereutectic pistons and could take a little boost, but not too much. The 92 and down fox guys would search out the 93 and up engines for the pistson's, the 93-95 guys were upgrading to forged or other race oriented stuff.

They switched to the modular 4.6 in 1996. People hated it in the beginning but it took hold and has a pretty good cult following and can make decent power for cheap, that's about all I know of those.
Yeah I can tell you all about them. I, like you, preferred the 5.0. One, I had always appreciated the simplicity of the push rod design. Two, when the first 4.6's came out, they actually made less power than the 5.0. It wasn't until 98 when the PI,(power improved), heads came out that they started making more power, which was still only 260.

The cult following happened after the 03-04 cobras came out, although they were the quad cam 32 valve engines, not the 2 valve like in the standard mustang GT.

The reason they are the most desired is that Ford didn't want to develop a forged rod for them and they outsourced and they have all forged parts which are WAY over engineered. Those engines from an 03-04 cobra are fully capable stock of over 1000whp.

Jaden

ShootingArts

Smorg is giving St Peter the 7!
Gold Member
Silver Member
If I recall correctly, the '66-'67 was fitted with twin Weber 4 barrel carbs.

The 260 and 289 were used in some open wheel cars, I forget which all. For years heads were available to bolt Webers directly to, no intake it was built into the head. Not quite fuel injection but very close! I wanted a pair of those heads and whatever was needed to close up the valley of the engine but I had given up on racing Fords. A matter of parts much more expensive than the same parts for a Chevy and a lot of high performance stuff not even made for a Ford engine.

I did offer a man two thousand for the Nascar outlawed single overhead cam side oiler Ford 427. It was still in the crate. Rated at 735HP with no mod's. Chrysler was retaliating with a double overhead cam 426 hemi which reminds me, the 427 cammer was a hemi too. It was either rein in the factories or forget independents in the field so Nascar outlawed the cammers. All of the parts for the 426 were produced but as far as I know there was never an overhead cam 426 put together.

Let's see, talk about glen or talk about mustangs and other cars. Surely seems like a no brainer. I had a 428SCJ Torino. Only 150 made, just enough to make them NHRA legal. Thing was a pig and I didn't like it. It did have one thing that people beat the bushes hunting, Carrillo rods!

Hu

Chili Palmer

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The 260 and 289 were used in some open wheel cars, I forget which all. For years heads were available to bolt Webers directly to, no intake it was built into the head. Not quite fuel injection but very close! I wanted a pair of those heads and whatever was needed to close up the valley of the engine but I had given up on racing Fords. A matter of parts much more expensive than the same parts for a Chevy and a lot of high performance stuff not even made for a Ford engine.

I did offer a man two thousand for the Nascar outlawed single overhead cam side oiler Ford 427. It was still in the crate. Rated at 735HP with no mod's. Chrysler was retaliating with a double overhead cam 426 hemi which reminds me, the 427 cammer was a hemi too. It was either rein in the factories or forget independents in the field so Nascar outlawed the cammers. All of the parts for the 426 were produced but as far as I know there was never an overhead cam 426 put together.

Let's see, talk about glen or talk about mustangs and other cars. Surely seems like a no brainer. I had a 428SCJ Torino. Only 150 made, just enough to make them NHRA legal. Thing was a pig and I didn't like it. It did have one thing that people beat the bushes hunting, Carrillo rods!

Hu

Agreed on conversation topics.

My old man had a 1972 Gran Torino, just like the movie but it was solid green with no stripes, sometime in the early to mid-80's someone t-boned him on News Year Eve and totaled the car, everyone was ok. I learned to drive in that, a 1970 El Camino, and a 1980's Datsun 810 :)

ShootingArts

Gold Member
Silver Member
Agreed on conversation topics.

My old man had a 1972 Gran Torino, just like the movie but it was solid green with no stripes, sometime in the early to mid-80's someone t-boned him on News Year Eve and totaled the car, everyone was ok. I learned to drive in that, a 1970 El Camino, and a 1980's Datsun 810 :)

I had a 70 Torino, later a 69. The seventy and seventy-one Torino's were odd looking ducks, there was no flow from sixty-nine to seventy-two. I idly wondered where that design came from but no big deal. I was traveling one morning and stepped out my door to see a sports car on a trailer had arrived while I slept. It looked very very familiar. A bit smaller but too many design features to doubt, Ford had ripped off a late fifties Ferrari body design to build in 1970! My first thought was about the basic ripoff, my second thought was it demonstrated a tremendous admission of failure, Ford design could not do better than ripping off a late fifties Ferrari design. 57-59 I don't remember exactly.

Hu

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I had a 70 Torino, later a 69. The seventy and seventy-one Torino's were odd looking ducks, there was no flow from sixty-nine to seventy-two. I idly wondered where that design came from but no big deal. I was traveling one morning and stepped out my door to see a sports car on a trailer had arrived while I slept. It looked very very familiar. A bit smaller but too many design features to doubt, Ford had ripped off a late fifties Ferrari body design to build in 1970! My first thought was about the basic ripoff, my second thought was it demonstrated a tremendous admission of failure, Ford design could not do better than ripping off a late fifties Ferrari design. 57-59 I don't remember exactly.

Hu
'70 Torino with 429 CJ was one fast sob. Buddy of mine had one. Nice ride.

ShootingArts

Gold Member
Silver Member
'70 Torino with 429 CJ was one fast sob. Buddy of mine had one. Nice ride.

Mine just had a 302 in it. Nice good looking ride but definitely no speed burner. Your buddy might have had the SCJ engine. That was a 429 hemi. Make you cry, a guy I knew was sponsoring a race car. When the guy didn't want the 429 hemi for his car because it would mess up the weight balance, the salvage yard owner crushed it with the car to be sure nobody else ever got their hands on it! i would have given him a pretty for it just for a street rod.

Hu

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Mine just had a 302 in it. Nice good looking ride but definitely no speed burner. Your buddy might have had the SCJ engine. That was a 429 hemi. Make you cry, a guy I knew was sponsoring a race car. When the guy didn't want the 429 hemi for his car because it would mess up the weight balance, the salvage yard owner crushed it with the car to be sure nobody else ever got their hands on it! i would have given him a pretty for it just for a street rod.

Hu
Drag Pack i think he called it.

ShootingArts

Gold Member
Silver Member
Drag Pack i think he called it.

That doesn't ring a bell with me. Might have been a limited run like my '69. They had to make 150 to make them legal for NHRA drag racing. Often those cars were sold under the cost to build them! The Corvettes with a 427 were an example of that. Sold for $6600 list and cost about $10,000 to build. One of the many cars I wanted in my youth. I did have a 365HP 327 in my 63 Vette. Exactly the same as the fuel injected 375HP Corvette with a single four barrel on it. Nice economy car!

Hu

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
That doesn't ring a bell with me. Might have been a limited run like my '69. They had to make 150 to make them legal for NHRA drag racing. Often those cars were sold under the cost to build them! The Corvettes with a 427 were an example of that. Sold for $6600 list and cost about $10,000 to build. One of the many cars I wanted in my youth. I did have a 365HP 327 in my 63 Vette. Exactly the same as the fuel injected 375HP Corvette with a single four barrel on it. Nice economy car!

Hu

Chili Palmer

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Hu

We had a 351W in ours.

pwd72s

recreational banger
Silver Member
My 4.6. Has been dead reliable for 31.000 miles. An '09, which was really kind of a leftover '08. Old, slow and obsolete by today's Mustang standards...only 315 horsepower, tremec 5 speed, 3:73 limited slip rear end on the Bullitt Models...slight horsepower bump over the '09 GT's to 315. It's been a well balanced and good ride over the years, but might be calling a guy on the Bullitt Mustang board who wants it soon. Damned snapped tendon in my left foot makes clutch work problematic. Only problem is the current new car shortage. Waiting & watching dealer inventories before making the call.

(afterthought edit) You guys seem to have more 'Stang knowlege than me. This my first, possibly my last, Mustang. But a question: Is it too new to know? Any reports on the reliability of the new Tremec dual clutch 10 speed? Thinking of a new 5.o with performance pak. So far, all the local dealer inventories are only base 4 banger ecoboost cars. Oh and a new Mach one with dealer asking $10K over sticker. I know, it's his right to ask, but it's also my right to say no.

Attachments

• DSCN0069.JPG
    DSCN0069.JPG
    224.6 KB · Views: 95
  • DSCN0072.JPG
    DSCN0072.JPG
    221.2 KB · Views: 88
  • DSCN0113.JPG
    DSCN0113.JPG
    213.9 KB · Views: 103
  • Bullitt points.jpg
    Bullitt points.jpg