Which cuemaker?

cab9379

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Ok I have a situation within the next year probably at Derby or SBE I am going to buy a cue that I want to put away so it can appreciate in value mainly for a collectors point of view. So my question is I was thinking between three makers.
1. Barry Szamboti
2. Dennis Searing
3. Showman
Out of the three which one is going to be more valuable in like lets say five years. And also if you think one that I didn't list is going to be a better investment let me know. Thank You.

Brian in VA

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
FWIW, you're asking everyone to predict the future on, what you are calling, an investment. I daresay that anyone with that skill probably is focusing on stocks and bonds, real estate and the like.

It's a guess on these and your guess is probably as good as anyone elses. If you're really buying this as an investment I wish you good luck. If you are buying this because you want to own a really nice piece of usable art, then just pick the one that you like the looks of, the best.

This is all just my opinion, of course.

Brian in VA

cab9379

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'm not asking anyone to predict the future. Ok let me put it this way if you had 10,000 cash in your pocket and wanted to buy a cue that would double when the economy comes back around which one would you choose? And this is all your personal opinion.

Georgia Boy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'm not asking anyone to predict the future. Ok let me put it this way if you had 10,000 cash in your pocket and wanted to buy a cue that would double when the economy comes back around which one would you choose? And this is all your personal opinion.

I think I would hedge my bets with $10,000, by going with one of the well known makers possibly Dennis Searing or Black Boar. Then look at a couple of the lesser known or under valued cue makers and speculate that their products will appreciate in value. Everyone has their own favorites but I'd look at someone like Steve Lomax, Bryan Mordt, Lee Peppers or Paul Summrall, I just love the way their cues look.

greyghost

Coast to Coast
Silver Member
Yea you could by a Sugar Tree.....and spend a handfull of 100 dollar bills.....6.34 years from now he goes hunting and gets raped by the sasquach and die from rectal bleeding :eek:sorry you had to go down like that eric:(

You have the top sugar tree cue lets say and now the market has rebounded super strong and the nasdaq and Dow jones markets set new records, jobs are everywhere and a dollars worth more than a dollar again......

You just hit the jackpot in the luck game of life and the cues worth 10k.....maybe 15k b/c BANG homie got raped and died which is an incredible story so that added value, and b/c you always see increases in the collectible market value immideatle after that person either dies, wins something big, or sets some kind of record.

Kinda like those walking POS that go by the names of McGuire and Bonds......when they broke records their best cards were worth alot of cash. Then it setteled back down when everyone got over the fear of loss or whatever you want to call it.

Your talking like your trying to corner the dam market with on frigging cue or something. YOUR INVESTING 10K

You could do the sh*t for brains thing and spend that kind of money on a buch of guys that would make you a very nice cue with no reputation or niche' market amoung a niche' market lol.......

If your spending 10K then either choose one of the many fine works of art on the secondary market or contact Black Boar, Searing, Showman etc....you know the lot I'm talking about.

Their rep gains them added value so its just a more solid investment. It'll have more resistance to deflation too.

Investing isn't just about making money is about keeping it too.......at least if you break even you didn't lose anything except your blissful expectations. That moneys still in play.....may as well be $$$$

If your going to buy art and you got millionS lying around you buying the van goh or the kandensky? (yea i'm sure I spelled kandensky wrong)

You buy the van goh homie when you can afford it you afford the best guy b/c thats whos going to give you the most bang in your buck.

tattoo

Tatuaje in the house🤘🏻
Silver Member
tought call....all three would make great investments and even better players....i have allways wanted all three cue makers cues...i would talk to them at the expo and maybe just place an order with one of them....if you lucky they might take your order as they are very back logged....now if i had 10000 to spend i would buy a cue that i liked the way it played and looked.....you could allways call murray tucker and commison a 10000 cue from him...might have the biggest tucker ever...:) but you cant go wrong with a cuemaker that doesnt make a bunch of cues and has top workmanship....and it looks like you have narrowed it down to three....and with those you cant go wrong....gl mickey

harmy76

Okie with no Strokie
Silver Member
I think I would hedge my bets with $10,000, by going with one of the well known makers possibly Dennis Searing or Black Boar. Then look at a couple of the lesser known or under valued cue makers and speculate that their products will appreciate in value. Everyone has their own favorites but I'd look at someone like Steve Lomax, Bryan Mordt, Lee Peppers or Paul Summrall, I just love the way their cues look.

I think this is a more reasonable idea. Instead of dropping tons of cash, buy a more reasonably priced cue from a lesser known but awesome cue maker in the $2000 range. If you must spend 10k buy several, and then you might be able to make $500-$1000 a cue.

Murray Tucker

Just a Padawan
Silver Member

Attachments

• Tucker.jpg
    Tucker.jpg
    81.1 KB · Views: 486

nksmfamjp

Refugee...
Silver Member
There is a group IMO, which Barry, Gus, TS, and Black Boar belong to which are basically peak value. They will probably just follow the market. Dennis S is right on the edge , in my uneducated opinion of being in that group. Showman will get there, but still has some up side growth.

The key here would be to find someone like BHQ, etc, who is probably on their way to this group.

TATE

AzB Gold Mensch
Silver Member

Realistically, it won't happen. Once cues are into the market, they are priced accordingly. While there are examples of extreme appreciation, they are probably 1 in 1000 compared to the opposite.

If you can sweet talk Searing or Showman into making a cue for you early, then maybe you can make a good buy that way. Unlikely you can get one from Barry though.

Chris

Last edited:

PaulieB

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Yea you could by a Sugar Tree.....and spend a handfull of 100 dollar bills.....6.34 years from now he goes hunting and gets raped by the sasquach and die from rectal bleeding :eek:sorry you had to go down like that eric:(

You have the top sugar tree cue lets say and now the market has rebounded super strong and the nasdaq and Dow jones markets set new records, jobs are everywhere and a dollars worth more than a dollar again......

You just hit the jackpot in the luck game of life and the cues worth 10k.....maybe 15k b/c BANG homie got raped and died which is an incredible story so that added value, and b/c you always see increases in the collectible market value immideatle after that person either dies, wins something big, or sets some kind of record.

You could order the Sugartree and then put on a Sasquatch suit and rape him yourself. Make your own fortune man, don't hope for chance! :grin:

CMD

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

So you're sayin' this plan won't work? :smilewinkgrin:

Chris <~~~~~ has a whole lotta Sugar

LOL Murray, if you're name were on the list I would have surely picked you.

Koop - didn't get a t-shirt :(

Me neither...:eek:

Chris <~~~~~~~loves his Tucker cue

vinniebabarooch

Wanna Sell Your Hercek?
Gold Member
Silver Member
I will answer your question with my opinion.

You probally can't go wrong with any of them.
I would choose Barry Szamboti.
Since I have been collecting cues, his work has steadily been in more demand and the prices have increased almost yearly. I also think his cues being built today are some of his best yet and expect even bigger cues in the future. Dennis and Johns cues are also both good choices. Right now I think Joel Hercek's cues are a great bargain and in the future people will regret not buying them when they were very reasonable. You can also never go wrong with buying cues that YOU really like.
Good luck on your hunt!