Which league would you choose and why?

Autist

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Hey there.

I have to make a decision tomorrow. Two choices.

For reference, my honest and critical opinion of my skill level is a C+

First option:

8 tournaments per season. Average player skill is D-B. Some bangers and some decent players.

Second option:

4 tournaments per season. Average player skill is B- - A. The best players in my country.

I think that I would be in the top 20% finishing the season, were I to pick the first option. And I think I would get demolished in the second option.
The fact is that I am fairly new to competing, and I think I need the experience. And I would have a good chance to actually win something, maybe.

My friend, who is going to play in the tournament league with the better players, urges me to pick the same league. He says that I would learn much more playing with the better players. Of course, it would be nice to go the events together with my friend, to get in shape before the tournament together, etc.

If you were in my position, what would you do? :p

Thanks!

Last edited:

dr9ball

"Lock Doctor"
Silver Member
It isn't a tough decision.

Hey there.

First option:

8 tournaments per season. Average player skill is C-B.

Second option:

4 tournaments per season. Average player skill is B- - A.

I think that I would be in the top 20% finishing the season, were I to pick the first option. And I think I would get demolished in the second option.
The fact is that I am fairly new to competing, and I think I need the experience. And I would have a good chance to actually win something, maybe.

My friend, who is going to play in the tournament league with the better players, urges me to pick the same league. He says that I would learn much more playing with the better players. Of course, it would be nice to go the events together with my friend, to get in shape before the tournament together, etc.

Thanks!

Play with the toughest competition you can find. You will become a smarter player faster and enjoy the game more if you step up to the more challenging option. That's my opinion. Good Luck with your choice.

lorider

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Hey there.

First option:

8 tournaments per season. Average player skill is C-B.

Second option:

4 tournaments per season. Average player skill is B- - A.

Thanks!

i would go with the 2nd option.

i started playing in a bi weekly tournament where there is an ungodly number of better players than i am . although i have been getting blown out a lot. think 9-2 or 9-3 type matches i think it is a good experience watching how my opponents play position and what types of english they use on particular shots.

ultimately i think it will make me a better player than always playing people my speed. what can you learn from people you are beating ?:)

Autist

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
i would go with the 2nd option.

i started playing in a bi weekly tournament where there is an ungodly number of better players than i am . although i have been getting blown out a lot. think 9-2 or 9-3 type matches i think it is a good experience watching how my opponents play position and what types of english they use on particular shots.

ultimately i think it will make me a better player than always playing people my speed. what can you learn from people you are beating ?:)

I think that equally as important in addition to pool skills are knowing how to win, winning under pressure, and the experience from it.

rayjay

some of the kids
Silver Member
Play with the toughest competition you can find. You will become a smarter player faster and enjoy the game more if you step up to the more challenging option. That's my opinion. Good Luck with your choice.

Ditto!
:p

lorider

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I think that equally as important in addition to pool skills are knowing how to win, winning under pressure, and the experience from it.

last month during my money league playoff tournament i faced an 8.4 and i am a 4.3. the race was 4-8 with 1,200.00 at stake, i won 4-6, i think that match pretty much covered everything in your quote :D

JDB

Idiot Savant
Silver Member
Hey there.

First option:

8 tournaments per season. Average player skill is D-B. Some bangers and some decent players.

Second option:

4 tournaments per season. Average player skill is B- - A. The best players in my country.

Thanks!

For me it is about format. You mention tournament style, which would mean, to me, that you place races against one opponent in each league.

If that is the case, I would probably play in the league with the better players. I am also a C+ player, but can play better at times (and worse too).

However, if the formats are not the same, I would pick the format that was a race against one person versus a round robin format (BCA) where you play everyone on the other team one game.

But that is me, I really enjoy a race format where I play a race to X against one person versus play a game, sit, play a game sit, against everyone on the other team. I just don't care for that format much.

However, as always, YMMV.

DelaWho???

Banger McCue
Silver Member
last month during my money league playoff tournament i faced an 8.4 and i am a 4.3. the race was 4-8 with 1,200.00 at stake, i won 4-6, i think that match pretty much covered everything in your quote :D

Not the same as playing heads up. Without handicap you didn't win.

Don't take this the wrong way, you pulled out a victory against a tough opponent. This is something to be proud of.

All things equal I would go for the first option. Several reasons.
1. We often have an inflated perception of our skill level. You'll get a better appreciation of where you really are by how you finish against people who you feel are in your skill group.

2.Grinding out a loss each week with players that are so much better than you that you can almost never win will not ultimately improve your game. You'll learn how to lose.

3. Closely matched competion will help to develop focus, killer instinct, and the ability to bear down when the going is tough to get that win.

I would go with the first option with the goal of winning 50%, and getting in the money a majority of the time, then more to the higher skilled tourney after I have developed the skills needed to win.

:cool:

justadub

Rattling corners nightly
Silver Member
No one has said it yet, but why not play both? (Assuming they aren't on the same nights, of course.)

You get the challenge of playing the better players, and the experience of finishing the deal against people more your speed.

Autist

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Should have explained a little better.

The tournaments are not every week.
Can't play in both. And the tournaments are divided for throughout the year, meaning a tourney every month with the first option or a tourney every couple of months with the second option.

The second option league really carries some excellent players, this is the highest league you can play in Estonia. The winner of the league will represent Estonia in European Pool Championships

I am still really torn between the two options.

Last edited:

michael4

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I would go with option # 1, mainly due to frequent playing, which i think would be a benefit.

Aten

m8
Silver Member
Autist bro, you're a C+? :D! ****, I'm probably an E then :(

personally I play in a valley league with mostly players below my level, in a round robin format... I honestly spend more time shooting drills on a side table during league nights in my down time than I do actually playing league games :/ Then I play a biweekly (well, timing is kinda erratic but it's basically every other week) tournament with a race format loaded with a lot of monster players and I have improved a lot since I started that.

I would take your second option in a heartbeat and without a doubt. Good luck to ya, "C+" player lol :p Don't steal too hard!

Last edited:

Maniac

2manyQ's
Silver Member
I too am in the option #1 camp, since you stated that you are fairly new to competing. Playing better players will make you a better player eventually, but there are other things to consider as a new league participant.

1.) You need to get a "feel" for league play.

2.) You need the extra four tornaments for experience.

3.) You need to accurately guage your skill level by competing with players of your own level.

4.) Getting your head handed to you four times a year may not improve your game at all. This can be subjective to each persons inner workings.

Work your way into it. Take your time to learn all the facets of league/tournament play. Don't just jump in feet first and expect to become an Olympian. I wish you all the luck for both success and enjoyment!!!

Shoot straight, my friend!!!

Maniac

pooln8r

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Option 2---Learn to win!

If C+ is your overly critical rating of your skills then you're not far from the players in the second option anyway, especially if the higher league goes from B- to A. C+ is basically right up there with B- as far as I'm concerned. Minimal difference between those ratings if you really want to put in the work.

I say go for Option 2. I'm sure you'll win a few matches and you'll have to play as tough and smart as you can all the time. If you want to get better at playing under pressure and in tournaments that's the way for sure. From personal experience I can say that having friends that play in the same league and at a higher level is a massive bonus attached to the second option. You might be surprised at how well you'll do in the league with a better playing sparring partner for event preparation.

If you want to be a big fish in a small pond or want to ease into competition then option 1 would make that more possible. I guess it depends on what your goals are. In option one, you may have more chances to shoot in a match but that will equal lower pressure and you don't want to get too comfortable with that in tournament play unless this is your first experience with it as everybody has to start somewhere. Also keep in mind, it's hard but not impossible to get to that next level if you never get to see it played around you.

Good luck in your decision and whichever league you choose.

Kevin

purpdrag

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Hey there.

First option:

Second option:

Thanks!

This is a tough call. Given everything you've said, I would go with option 2, with the friend playing being the tiebreaker. I like the more frequent tournaments in option 1, but generally it is better for your game to play better competition. One thing you have to watch out for though, is getting your confidence knocked down. It is important to have a certain level of confidence, but not cockiness, to play up to our potential. That's the primary danger of option 2.

Someone else said you don't want to "learn to lose". Similar to what I'm saying here, and so much more succinct, but I wanted to dig a little deeper for you.

I had a problem for a while after joining a league and playing some tournaments with some better players that I had lost confidence and was playing tentatively. The loss of confidence had damaged the quality of my stroke and my overall level of play. The book "The Pleasures of Small Motions" explained very well that you should have a realistic assessment of your skill level, and your opponent may in fact be better than you, but you can still have confidence in what you CAN do and play up to your ability level and hope for the best.

If you can keep the right mental attitude, stay positive about your game, and practice in the right way, I think you will be much better off in the end.

It also depends also on your short and long term pool goals. If you just want to win and have fun, go with option 1. If you want to make yourself a better pool player, go with option 2. Losing isn't fun, but I'd go with option 2, keeping in mind what I said here. If you're game is improving and you're playing to your potential, you will score some victories even against the higher level players. Hopefully, after a while, you'll make it to the upper 50% of that group.