Who are the top five players in your state?

Ryan A.

Registered
bigskyjake said:
I'd have to put Seth King on there too
Is TR still alive, last I heard his health was really going downhill fast

last time I saw TR was about 6-8 months ago. He seemed ok. I haven't lived there for 7 years now so I could be wrong

Ryan A.

Registered
desert1pocket said:
Pretty good list. I agree with Ryan A that Bernie and Tony could also be on the list on any given day, and I might have to put Gus Briseno on that list as well. Jimmy and Mitch are certainly on the list for 9 or 10 ball, but I'm not sure they make the list if you look at all games. There are a couple of Tucson players that can play a little too.

forgot about Gus, good player...... This discussion has made me realize that damn there are a lot of good players around. EVERYWHERE

Last edited:

desert1pocket

Registered Fish
Silver Member
mikepage said:
North Dakota?

Remember we only have 680,000 people, so asking who is best in ND is a little like asking who is best in the western suburbs of Chicago or who is best in the bottom half of Sacramento.

Rory Hendrickson
Marc Oelslager
Craig Stainbrook

then it's not so clear

Mike Chewakin if he gets the rust out
Jeff LaFountain
Kenny Azure

???

My wife is from ND, and we went to her friends wedding near Minot last summer. I played a whole bunch of military guys from the nearby base for the first few days, and had some decent matches with a few of them. I asked a local to play, and he called his buddy who was supposed to be pretty good. I play pretty bad, but even I was able to run over him. As soon as the match was over, the lady at the counter told me she didn't want any "hustlers" chasing off customers, and asked me to leave and not come back. I am such a bad player that I was shocked at being called a hustler. Being that there is only one pool hall in Minot, that ended my pool playing for that vacation.

Ryan A.

Registered
desert1pocket said:
My wife is from ND, and we went to her friends wedding near Minot last summer. I played a whole bunch of military guys from the nearby base for the first few days, and had some decent matches with a few of them. I asked a local to play, and he called his buddy who was supposed to be pretty good. I play pretty bad, but even I was able to run over him. As soon as the match was over, the lady at the counter told me she didn't want any "hustlers" chasing off customers, and asked me to leave and not come back. I am such a bad player that I was shocked at being called a hustler. Being that there is only one pool hall in Minot, that ended my pool playing for that vacation.

thats what you get when you hustle in Minot. lol

philw

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Island Drive said:
How about John Abruzzo on a bar table, still.

Hard to argue with that! It never fails to amaze me that John could take time off from pool and come back and play like he never left. Another good guy. Philw

kaznj

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Living in New Jersey: Danny Basavich, Allen Hopkins, Al Lapena, Ed Hodan, Steve Lillis.

J

jimmymac

Tony said:
Indiana has in no particular order
George Breedlove
Brian Groce
Denver Barger
Jeanette Lee
Jeff Beckley
Im sure there are more.

Brian Gregg
Steve Oaks
Alan Maloney (when his back isn't out of wack)

J

jimmymac

Johnson said:
I have heard a lot of stories about denver. Some other players around indy you hear a lot about are waldo, steve oaks, and strong arm john. Tony coleman from northern indiana, rumored to be a multi millionaire that will play for anything, there was a really strong player on his pool league team, can't remember his name. From evansville gary gentry is a strong player, i know jeremy brown, and he is really impressive, both of them are solid in banks/1 pocket. Supposedly there was a road player living in evansville a lil while back, not sure if it was true, he had beaten everyone in owesnboro, evansville, and metropolis, il.
I dunno enough about the indy players to rank anybody, from what i have heard denver would be the best, i'm sure theres other players in south bend and fort wayne, muncie, and others up near chicago.

The best player to have lived in Indiana (Fort Wayne), has been south for a quite a few years is, Waldon Rogers (Junior). I believe Buddy hall mentions him in his book. He was a awesome to watch, playing road players all the time. As they shifted gears he would and still have gears left after he would break them. One hand or both hands he was great.

J

jimmymac

Tony said:
Sat,
I agree with you on that one.Thats why i only play in tourneys.Ive lived here for about 2 years but dont get out so im not going to take a chance.lol But ill spend that tourney fee everytime.I did see Big arm John match up with a road player the other night.From what i saw John came out the worse of it.They were playing bar box 8ball

Strong Arm John shoots strong, but take a pillow and cot if your going to play him, it may take awhile.

tom haney

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
desert1pocket said:

I hear you. Several years ago at a big bar near
the Pavilion at Myrtle Beach, packed with players,
I was told by several of them that I was the
greatest player they had ever seen. The high
lasted until I got back home to Clarksburg, WV,
and got thumped by several players in the local
pool hall.

Jack Madden

John Madden Cues
Silver Member
desert1pocket said:
I play pretty bad, but even I was able to run over him. I am such a bad player that I was shocked at being called a hustler. Being that there is only one pool hall in Minot, that ended my pool playing for that vacation.

LOL, that isn't what I have heard about your playing:D

teambizy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I actually remembered Jason Kirkwood when i got home from work yesterday. Good call.

Jimmy M.

Insomniac
Silver Member
desert1pocket said:
Jimmy and Mitch are certainly on the list for 9 or 10 ball, but I'm not sure they make the list if you look at all games.

Not that I care to be on any list and I've kept quiet in this thread whenever my name was mentioned, regardless of what I may or may not think but, since this may be an opportunity to drum something up ... one pocket is the only game that I don't play so I don't know if one pocket constitutes "all games". If you have a player in Tucson that wants to play a package of some 9 or 10 ball, straight pool, 8-ball, banks and maybe something on a snooker table (like golf or snooker), let me know. I'm interested in playing.

Varney Cues

Handcrafted quality!
Silver Member
BackPocket9Ball said:
Varney Cues,
How would you rate Scott Lewis compared to the rest of your list?

I think that the top 4 would be: (1) Tony Watson, (2) Spark Ferrule, (3) BJ Ussery, (4) Norris Brady

Scott's a fine player and on any given day can beat anyone on the list. Tony's playing real bad currently and I would not rank him any where near the top of the list...I'm friends with him, so I hate to say it...but its true. I'd put BJ or Allison #1. As far as tournament play...when T was playing good he couldn't beat Allie. ;)

BackPocket9Ball

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Varney Cues said:
Scott's a fine player and on any given day can beat anyone on the list. Tony's playing real bad currently and I would not rank him any where near the top of the list...I'm friends with him, so I hate to say it...but its true. I'd put BJ or Allison #1. As far as tournament play...when T was playing good he couldn't beat Allie. ;)

I just cannot see Allison beating anyone on that list consistently. Karen Corr lives in my area, and she cannot consistently beat any of the top players in the area. I think that Karen and Allison are pretty comparable.

ribdoner

SATISFACTION GUARANTEED
Silver Member
TENNESSEE:
1P------------lil nicky
9b------------henney
8b------------pinegar
wheelchair----samples
banks---------fargo
all around-----henney/pinegar

Varney Cues

Handcrafted quality!
Silver Member
BackPocket9Ball said:
I just cannot see Allison beating anyone on that list consistently. Karen Corr lives in my area, and she cannot consistently beat any of the top players in the area. I think that Karen and Allison are pretty comparable.
Not gambling but in tournament play you'd be surprised. Like you said she may not beat any of them consistently, but she win more than you'd think. I've seen Karen struggle in those local events against the men....so I know what you are saying. I've also seen Allie beat a slew of talented men. One star studded event she beat Stevie Moore 9-2, then double dipped TK 9-4 9-2 to snap off the event. I had bought her in the auction for like $120 after 5 or 6 blinds left her.:D

mikepage

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
desert1pocket said:

That's a sad story. I've never actually played in Minot.

I'm on the eastern side of the state in Fargo. We don't play very well here either. But we're action friendly and we've got lots of money.

cuejoey

25 mm chain guns matter
Silver Member
desert1pocket said:
LOL pool takes on a different aura out here in S.D.people play just to have fun if you win that's fine if not so what.i was at a 9 ball tourney in S.D.in a somewhat rural area .the farmers and ranchers came in their work clothes bib overalls ect..all 10 of them...the best person on a good day could possibly run 4 balls..the winner won about $30.00 and bought pitchers of beer for everyone in the place ..about 15 total !...this is what i enjoyed the fun of people playing the game and really having fun..no cussing or complaining,no breaking of cues no fighting..it was a great time...:D