who makes the best sneaky pete?

Jon P. Nusbaum

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
IntoTheRail; I think your cue has a bolt to reach a specific weight and balance requirement, as stated Bob normally doesn't currently use bolts, cues are drilled up from Butt to Handle area, and a Threaded lug is put very close to balance point if needed. JP

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I say get the maker of your current to built you one to same specs as said current one. be able to use the same shafts and you will be happy.

Or get a g-10 Diveney!

The King

Here's Jimbo....
Silver Member
For price , value and quality and hit I would put a Sly up against any of them... There are some great cue makers out there and I doubt you will go wrong with several of them... I have never hit with a Frey because while I like the 3/8 10 pin I do no like the bullet type that he uses. I am not knocking Frey or his cues this is just my personal prefrence and everyone is different. But if your looking for a great Sneaky you won't go wrong with Sly and I'm not sure how much longer he will be building Sneaky's as he told me sometime this summer he plans to make higher end cues ... Sneakys may always be a part of his line I don't know but I know he builds a very good one that woud compare to alot of others or better at a good price compared to some of the top cue makers ... The success is starting to show and he is staying very busy these days ...

tjlmbklr

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I am currenty playing with a tasteful custom cue that has ebony rings, east india rosewood forearm and butt with a wrapless beautiful birdseye maple center. However, I now know that my heart belongs to a good old fashioned sneaky pete. Any suggestions as to who makes a good, reasonably priced pete? I have seen some Jerry Olivier SP's that look great, but have never played with one. Thoughts?

It all depends, are looking for a "true sneaky" (hustler) or are you looking for what has been dubbed a "sneaky Pete" but in reality is just a basic cue w/ 4 points (sometimes more). Maybe a wrap maybe not, a collar usually Stainless Steel...or not.

If a true Sneaky Pete is what you desire then you may want to check out poolfool1957. He makes cues called the "Sneakiest Pete" with any Lam shaft. OB-2 314-2 z-2, I-1, 2 or 3. I believe he also has standard maple shafts too. I first fell in love with his cues when I saw them. And the price can't be beat. He also does many different variations of wood and colors.

Here are some of his links.

http://forums.azbilliards.com/showthread.php?t=135900

and

http://forums.azbilliards.com/showthread.php?t=135124

For the record I have no association with him I just plan to purchase on of his cues sometime.

Hope this helps.

TJ

9 on the snap

Budweiser fears me
Silver Member
I ordered a Bob Frey from JP last year, and I was very impressed by the cue, and the transaction. Bob & Jon are great folks, and I wouldn't hesitate to recomend them to anyone. The only cues I care to hit with are my Josey, and my Frey.

Joe

Da Bank

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
my phillippi sneaky plays absolutely jam up... i prefer it to my Predator Blak hands down now.

jcommie

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I am not assuming anything, actually just the opposite. Tim clearly stated he has made no Sneaky pete's, so who is the real Master of Sneaky Pete's? I doubt seriously that Tim spent much time inspecting them, and I also doubt that Bob would change the way they were made because they were so well recepted by the public.

So if Tim did not make them and Bob did I guess the only differents is the TS Logo, so I would suspect that should be given the credit he deserves and the cues should just be called FTS Sneaky Pete Cues or Tim Scruggs Sneak Pete's made by Bob Fry.

But, in the end was it the cues themselves or just a Name!!!!!!!:)

Sent an email to Tim, got a reply from Mike Cochran stating Tim stopped making sneakies in 2002, and that the rumour about Frey making all the TS sneakies isn't true.

Now I'm really confused.

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Sent an email to Tim, got a reply from Mike Cochran stating Tim stopped making sneakies in 2002, and that the rumour about Frey making all the TS sneakies isn't true.

Now I'm really confused.

It is true, Bob didn't make "all the TS sneakies". I think you think too much...!

axejunkie

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
My vote goes to RICK HOWARD ...... His cues play jam up.........

You bet, these threads usually turn into a popularity contest of sorts, but I have own's of Rick's sneakies and it hits great. He doesn't make too many, but I recommend buying if you come across one. Rick is a player's cuemaker for sure.

PDX

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The top three sneakies that I have played with are ( in no particular order) Little Al Romero, old Falcon and a Huebler one piece that I had a 5/16x14 pin and pilot put in. I will say, on all three of these cues, the shaft wood was really good.

cigardave

Who's got a light?
Silver Member
I own several very nice customs (Jensen, BCM, Frey and Dave Jones) but the cue that I play with day in day out is my 60" Bob Frey SP, which is in desparate need of a re-finish but I don't want to part with it to get the job done.

manwon

"WARLOCK 1"
Silver Member

Now I'm really confused.

Why did you not just post the email you received, it is pretty easy to cut and paste. I could careless personally, but you are calling another forum member a Liar ( Dave Sutton ) because Dave has posted to this forum that he spoke directly to Tim and Tim said he never made any. I don't know if this is true or false and like I said above I don't even really care.

I don't own and would not buy a Sneaky Pete by any maker for such a large sum of money ($500 +), if I liked a cue makers work I would purchase a Four Point cue with Veneers for a few hundred more.

To each his own!!

Check Post 25 below from Dave Sutton.

http://forums.azbilliards.com/showthread.php?t=135015&page=2

Last edited:

jcommie

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
* Date: Fri 27 Mar 05:13:35 CDT 2009
* Subject: Re: TS Sneaky Pete Rumor
* To: XXXX

There is absolutely no truth in that rumor. Tim and Bob were partners from 1978-1984 when Bob left. Tim stopped making Sneaky petes in 2002. Don't believe anything you hear and about 1/2 of what you see.

Mike Cochran

My original email was asking him to verify whether it was true or not that the TS sneakies out there were in fact made by Bob Frey.

DJBilliards

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have heard a lot of great things about Pat Diveney's SP's. I have one on order now. It was nice to work the the actual cue maker. He was very easy to work with and really focused on what I wanted.

JoeyInCali

Maker of Joey Bautista Cues
Silver Member
* Date: Fri 27 Mar 05:13:35 CDT 2009
* Subject: Re: TS Sneaky Pete Rumor
* To: XXXX

There is absolutely no truth in that rumor. Tim and Bob were partners from 1978-1984 when Bob left. Tim stopped making Sneaky petes in 2002. Don't believe anything you hear and about 1/2 of what you see.

Mike Cochran

My original email was asking him to verify whether it was true or not that the TS sneakies out there were in fact made by Bob Frey.

I heard Tim Scruggs choked an alligator with his bare hands while vacationing in Mexico.

DaveK

Still crazy after all these years
Silver Member
I heard Tim Scruggs choked an alligator with his bare hands while vacationing in Mexico.

That's one way to get cheap wrap stock I guess.

Dave

<edit : OnTopic, I like my Dufferin SP and both my Schmelke SPs>

Last edited: