Who was the last player that really impressed you?

Dave Wiebelhuas.

This young man 2 months ago would have been considered a AA player. I personally watched his struggles with his game. He's a real good kid so I helped him with his aim seeing that it is my specialty. each week he would ask me a question or 2.

Last weekend I went to a $50 entry 9 ball tourny in Wausau,Wi. First place was $1000 and second place was $750.

Dave was there for the tourny. I got knocked in the losers bracket myself in my fourth match.

I fought my was back to the final match and didn't realize until I got there that Dave was on the hot seat. And this was a tough field.

I ended up winning the tourny but not without a great fight. In the final match I pretty much controled the set to be ahead 5 to one only to miss shape on the next game and watch Dave run 3 racks to make it 5-4.

He not only shot great but showed some great focus under big pressure.

Sure you have to have the knowledge to do what you need to do but HEART is something that is hard to teach.

This kid is another champion waiting to happen. He's going to beat alot of players and win some good tournys in the future.

I was very impressed. I still smile everytime I think about it.

Last weekend Dave Wiebelhaus was my Hero...........

I like the way you work a commercial into each of your posts. That's exactly what I would do if I had a dvd. In fact, you're giving me some ideas!

catpool9

"Rack Um"/ Rusty Lock
Silver Member
Most impressive pool players!

I have seen lots of them , but Jack Hynes with his monster /yet controlable break shot/ his run out prowlice and his never ending leave play/ puts your opponent into the dead dawg mode.

Erumand Bullard with his masterful play of the Big Cue Ball, and control of it.

My brother Calvin Harcrow has the best cue ball control of any pool player I have ever seen play the game, he mezmorizes his opponents moving balls around and always knowing where they will be after the shot, his englishes of the cue ball is wizardry above all others yet he has control at all times.

David Harcrow

Ratta

Hearing the balls.....
Silver Member
Ok, now seriously :)

First i have to remember Busti when he came to germany-and nobody knew him (almost :p)- I was lucky enough that i saw one of his first- gambling-action. So i was ready to resist an offer to play *a bit* , lol^^

Further a good friend how is not able to play anymore pool caused by terrible healthy problems. I played him a straightpool match til 1000 points. in the 2nd inning he shot a 326, and in the 5th inning 286- the whole game he finsihed in 19 innings. If it s about straight-pool....he ll be always in my mind.

lg
Ingo

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
in the early 90's I believe he was living in yuma, az. i was going to school at ASU. He came into one of the local rooms and got into 10/game action with basically anyone who would play. guys just kept calling there pals, Everything was shot with speed and even the long cuts down the rail never seemed to touch a cushion. ( he was certainly past his prime at this point) which made it all the more impressive, glenn bond and I sat for quite some time (after glenn lost a hundred or so) and just watched in awe. this was probably my first time actually seeing a "legend" play. I was not disappointed. Jay can probably chime in with some more info on this fellow.

Yeah, Bobby would follow the crop harvests, and be the guy running the crews. He had been working these jobs since he was a kid and had worked his way up to one of the better paying jobs. In the other seasons, he would be in the San Joaquin Valley (California) doing the same thing. This is how he earned his bread. Pool became his sideline a long time ago. He did not have to run the road looking for a game.

He was originally from Bakersfield (grew up there), and started out playing there as a kid. He had a big rivalry with "Peter Gunn", the nickname for Lin Wesson, another Bakersfield local. Peter went on to be one of the top roadman on the West Coast, beating just about everyone he played for 20-30 years. His biggest score was off Tacoma Whitey, who owned a room up North. Whitey wouldn't quit until Lin cleaned him out for over sixty grand. Pretty serious money in the early 70's. By the way, he was built like a Fullback, which he had been in high school. Bobby was also an impressive physical specimen from all those years laboring in the fields.

Bobby's best game was bar pool with the big ball. He was one of the best I ever saw, right there with Keith and Weldon. Bobby wasn't a big guy, maybe 5'9" and 175 pounds, but he would arm wrestle just about anyone. And beat them! He could fight too, and had to more than once to get with the cash. :wink:

In the 90's was the twilight of Bobby's pool career, but he could still play. Of that I'm sure. He played in the big Hollywood Park tournament in 1996, and made the money. Judd Fuller, the cuemaker, was Bobby's good friend and backer. I think Bobby still lives in Arizona and may even play a little pool now and then. I know he had surgery for his cataracts some time ago and now he can see the edge of the ball.

Bobby and I played twice, once in my poolroom in Bakersfield, and once in a bar, also in Bakersfield. I got a little the best of it on the big table but he walloped me good on the bar box. We have remained friends since then.

Last edited:

Realizm

I love cocobolo cues.
Silver Member
Sad to say but no one really . I've seen a lot of players but no body made me say wow in a very long time....

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
Okay the guys who really made me say WOW in the last few years - Yang and Wu! Both from Taiwan.
Last week it was Shane when he pulled of the shot of the year to win his semifinal match with Niels in 9-Ball and guarantee himself a 20K+ payday!

knifemaker

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Buddy and Louie

I quite playing years ago and just started backup this past year so mine is from way back in the mid 70's.
Buddy Hall playing Louie Roberts at Guys and Dolls in Shreveport. Buddy giving him the 7. Buddy put so many racks together the counter did not have enough beads. He made shots that Louie thought was stupid to try, and Louie would try anything. He beat Louie so bad Louie moved to Shreveport just to try and beat Buddy.
Before the match I told Buddy I had seen Louie play in a tournament in Columbia M. a few months before and he better be careful this young man could play lights out. Buddy told me Richie don't bet on him. It was great to watch two masters of the game.
Knifemaker

SCCues

< Searing Twins
Silver Member
Second and this will be no surprise is SHANE VAN BOENING! Already a great player, he's only getting better. Not only did Shane win the One Pocket title at DCC and finish second in the 9-Ball, plus win the Master of the Table crown, he made the shot of the tournament and maybe the year, at a crucial time in his semifinal 9-Ball match with Niels Feijen.

I've been a regular at the US Open in Chesapeake, VA for 20 years and of all the players i've had the pleasure of watching Shane Van Boening has impressed me more than any of the players i've seen.

I was at the Open the year he won and he went undefeated to win the US Open. I think the pool world will be dealing with Shane for many years since he's so young. What a player and a nice guy......I didn't know that Shane was a good one-pocket player.

James

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Ok, now seriously :)

First i have to remember Busti when he came to germany-and nobody knew him (almost :p)- I was lucky enough that i saw one of his first- gambling-action. So i was ready to resist an offer to play *a bit* , lol^^...
lg
Ingo

I would love to hear more about his time in Germany?? What kind of action did he get? Why did he go in the first place? How long could he make $ playing pool there...or did he travel around?

Anything else you can share too!

Jaden

"no buds chill"
Silver Member
Wow Jay you're bringing back memories for me...

Yeah, Bobby would follow the crop harvests, and be the guy running the crews. He had been working these jobs since he was a kid and had worked his way up to one of the better paying jobs. In the other seasons, he would be in the San Joaquin Valley (California) doing the same thing. This is how he earned his bread. Pool became his sideline a long time ago. He did not have to run the road looking for a game.

He was originally from Bakersfield (grew up there), and started out playing there as a kid. He had a big rivalry with "Peter Gunn", the nickname for Lin Wesson, another Bakersfield local. Peter went on to be one of the top roadman on the West Coast, beating just about everyone he played for 20-30 years. His biggest score was off Tacoma Whitey, who owned a room up North. Whitey wouldn't quit until Lin cleaned him out for over sixty grand. Pretty serious money in the early 70's. By the way, he was built like a Fullback, which he had been in high school. Bobby was also an impressive physical specimen from all those years laboring in the fields.

Bobby's best game was bar pool with the big ball. He was one of the best I ever saw, right there with Keith and Weldon. Bobby wasn't a big guy, maybe 5'9" and 175 pounds, but he would arm wrestle just about anyone. And beat them! He could fight too, and had to more than once to get with the cash. :wink:

In the 90's was the twilight of Bobby's pool career, but he could still play. Of that I'm sure. He played in the big Hollywood Park tournament in 1996, and made the money. Judd Fuller, the cuemaker, was Bobby's good friend and backer. I think Bobby still lives in Arizona and may even play a little pool now and then. I know he had surgery for his cataracts some time ago and now he can see the edge of the ball.

Bobby and I played twice, once in my poolroom in Bakersfield, and once in a bar, also in Bakersfield. I got a little the best of it on the big table but he walloped me good on the bar box. We have remained friends since then.

I remember going to Judd's garage in the mid nineties when he still lived in Riverside....

Jaden

Andrew Manning

Aspiring know-it-all
Silver Member
Matt Clatterbuck.

Watched him playing the finals of a weekly tournament (which he had knocked me out of earlier in the evening) against Brandon Shuff. They were both playing very well, but the table wasn't breaking great, and it got to hill-hill with Clatterbuck breaking.

He broke and made a ball, and had a fairly tough layout. Nothing was really tied up, but he had a tough shot on the one, and he had to fit the cue ball in some tight spaces to have a chance to run out.

So every shot he shot that rack, he would trace his intended position route with his eyes, and actually put his finger on the cloth where he wanted to leave the cue ball. Pretty standard when a player is really trying to focus and control the ball, but I swear he didn't miss one by a millimeter! 7 shots, using various types and amounts of english, running around rails both naturally and unnaturally, finessing around traffic, squeezing through tight gaps, and all 7 times he put the CB on his own fingerprint.

It was pretty amazing for me. A lot of people talk about "pin-point position", but I've watched a lot of pool, including professional players, in person and on video, and I'd never seen an entire rack run literally putting the ball on a pin-point.

-Andrew

genomachino

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Jess Engle went from being the young guy in the poolhall that we all liked and tried to help by playing cheap sets with for practice to being the guy that if you were going to practice with him you better make sure you feel good and play your best or the cheap little sets could get pretty expensive.

At Shooters Billiards in Burnsville,Mn there are a handful of players there that kind of looked out for Jesse as he was on his way up. I feel very fortuanate to have been a part of this . The list of names and players that contributed to this would be very long.

I've had alot of fun watching and playing with Jesse as this transition from wannabe to bonifide player was taking place. He's the kind of kid you would be ok with taking him to your mother house for supper.

I had some fun also by Predicting his win over Earl Strickland 11-9 at the US Open on AZ Billiards. I joked about it after that I really thought it would go to the hill but didn't want to put that kind of pressure on the kid.

When we were in Oconomowoc together about a month ago I niticed this big wad of money on the small table between our beds. I told him that he shouldn't have that money just sitting out there like that. There was maybe $3,000 there. I'm not sure how much because I would never dare touch it but it kind of made me a little uncomfortable.

I told jesse he shouldn't leave that money out there like that and he said I'm not worried, I think I'm a pretty good judge of people, referring to me.

I tried to tell him that he at least needs to keep it out of sight. That would be an exspensive lesson to learn.

I can't wait until he gets back from Louiville so we can start playing again.

It used to be that we played cheap as to not take advantage of Jesse.

Now it's to play cheap so maybe Jesse won't take advantage of us." SOMETIMES"

What a nice fresh atmosphere to be in...........................

dardusm

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I've watched Jesse Engle play several times and he is developing into a class act. Another MN player that has always impressed me was Beau Runningen. Another good player, that presents himself in a professional manner and is very solid at the table. Doesn't get too high or too low and takes the game serious.

imagemker

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Thanks Jay

Jay,
thanks for the story, he really made an impression, on the big table.
I had heard he was a monster Bar Box player. but did not get to see him play
on one until a year or 2 later. at which time after 12 or 13 hours he ended up stuck a few hundred to of all people. (Shakey Dave Alexander) who just happened to be in town that week. But still I sat and watched for hours (with the occasional food break )
I wonder if the cataracts got the best of him in that match? (or maybe the long grind) although it seems the old timers grind it out even in their later years better than most of the young guys. (ref. to Monk hand his 16-20hour sessions in the bay area,and reno over the last year or so) they just never seem to wind down. :)

JohnnyRun

Johnny Run
Jason Hunt - The Buffalo

... last player to impress me was ... Jason Hunt ... a nobody from Buffalo TvMike

The boy has power and character ... but little support. He needs a sponsor and a manager (to keep him away from the brewskis). I don't know another hammer who's banged up his head with a hangover and STILL shoots the pants off Legends. 'The Buffalo' does that. I imagine he has the ability to nail more pockets, if he nailed fewer beers. If he controls himself, he's a swan. If not ... just another duck in the pond. The potential to 'impress' is there -- he needs sponsors and management to see him sky.
HEY SPONSORS / MANAGERS -- POST UP!!! It's your future too.

Ratta

Hearing the balls.....
Silver Member
I would love to hear more about his time in Germany?? What kind of action did he get? Why did he go in the first place? How long could he make $ playing pool there...or did he travel around?

Anything else you can share too!

Saw him first time in the north of germany playing against a really good player- dunno how high the bet was, but sure good money. He won easily the last 2-3 sets.

then about 2-3 month later i was in my *home billard roo* where i used to practice (and spent more time than in my bed :p). I entered the pool-hall and a guy was phoning next to me, totally upset (hope to translate it the way it sounded to me:p was real funny). He shouted into the phone " Man, come here-here is a chicken to cook-quick money blablala, "if i would have money to *show* i would kick his ass and so on". I was just amused a bit, ordered a coffee and 15 min later a well known guy/friend came in. Just said hi and so- and the other guy immediatley welcomed him and pulled him into the back where the tables were. A bit later i went also into the back with my coffee and saw Busti sitting there, and the *new guy* were playing him. Don t get me wrong- the other guy was an absolutley fantastic player and a real good hustler. I saw it and ordered directly a Jack-Daniels to enjoy the show. Frank (bustis opponent) won the first set 7-5 or so. Then Busti won 2 sets (500 Deutsche Mark a set, was at this time about 900-1.000 US-Dollars). Frank saw me. said hello and asked me if i woudl know this guy. I know frank very well and told him, that i saw *this guy* 2 month ago. Frank also knew that i perfectly know his abilities and that Frank is really an A++ Player, especially for money. But i told him my opinion, that he couldn t win really against him. Frank said thx. went back and told Busit that he will play *just 2 more sets*..............

7-1/7-2 in 5 innings :p

was funny-- and you can imagine how Frank watched at the guy who phoned him.........ROFL

Other stories would just be from 3rd persons-so it makes no sense. But Busti was very cool- after he screwed his cue he came along to me and said thx- just that i didn t warn Frank or the other guy before him :)

Busti is a gentlemen in pool- one of the *good and friendly* ones.
Frank was really impressed by him how he told later to me. And that he will for sure never play him again, lol. I saw Frank just loosing 2 times for money in about 10 years. Means a lot, doesn t it? His pockets in his jeans were usualy more like a one-way :p

lg
Ingo

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Many thanks!

I find it odd that he would choose Germany. I would think he would quickly run out of opponents there.

But maybe Efren got first pick...and chose the US as his victim!!

Saw him first time in the north of germany playing against a really good player- dunno how high the bet was, but sure good money. He won easily the last 2-3 sets.

then about 2-3 month later i was in my *home billard roo* where i used to practice (and spent more time than in my bed :p). I entered the pool-hall and a guy was phoning next to me, totally upset (hope to translate it the way it sounded to me:p was real funny). He shouted into the phone " Man, come here-here is a chicken to cook-quick money blablala, "if i would have money to *show* i would kick his ass and so on". I was just amused a bit, ordered a coffee and 15 min later a well known guy/friend came in. Just said hi and so- and the other guy immediatley welcomed him and pulled him into the back where the tables were. A bit later i went also into the back with my coffee and saw Busti sitting there, and the *new guy* were playing him. Don t get me wrong- the other guy was an absolutley fantastic player and a real good hustler. I saw it and ordered directly a Jack-Daniels to enjoy the show. Frank (bustis opponent) won the first set 7-5 or so. Then Busti won 2 sets (500 Deutsche Mark a set, was at this time about 900-1.000 US-Dollars). Frank saw me. said hello and asked me if i woudl know this guy. I know frank very well and told him, that i saw *this guy* 2 month ago. Frank also knew that i perfectly know his abilities and that Frank is really an A++ Player, especially for money. But i told him my opinion, that he couldn t win really against him. Frank said thx. went back and told Busit that he will play *just 2 more sets*..............

7-1/7-2 in 5 innings :p

was funny-- and you can imagine how Frank watched at the guy who phoned him.........ROFL

Other stories would just be from 3rd persons-so it makes no sense. But Busti was very cool- after he screwed his cue he came along to me and said thx- just that i didn t warn Frank or the other guy before him :)

Busti is a gentlemen in pool- one of the *good and friendly* ones.
Frank was really impressed by him how he told later to me. And that he will for sure never play him again, lol. I saw Frank just loosing 2 times for money in about 10 years. Means a lot, doesn t it? His pockets in his jeans were usualy more like a one-way :p

lg
Ingo