Who was the one pool player that you learned the most from watching them play?

gunzby

My light saber is LD
Silver Member
Without a doubt it's Buddy Hall as far as rotation games go and John Schmidt for 14.1

Lock N Load

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Without a doubt it's Buddy Hall as far as rotation games go and John Schmidt for 14.1

Now what did he say! I talked to Buddy Hall tonight and he said he was not feeling good. Super good stroke, Buddy has.
Many Regards,
Lock N Load.

ComptonCustomCues

Quality Handcrafted Cues
Silver Member
tommy "buttermilk" brown (deceased) from paris, tn; no not the one in daytona beach. he didn't offer much advice but when he did, i listened. he played with an old house cue and took it with him everywhere he went. he was the first guy that taught me the power of keeping your opponent in his chair by putting together multiple packages and high runs. he was a certified nut (u.s. army) but he sure could play some pool. he also took me on my first road trip. of course he went bust, but u learn from those too.

I've spent some time in paris tn....never got to see buttermilk brown play but plenty of people have told me stories.....do we know each other? Pm me:confused:

jdxprs

Banned
not from a match, but for me the player is jimmy reid. anyone who has seen his instructional videos would understand why.

CJ Wiley

ESPN WORLD OPEN CHAMPION
Gold Member
Silver Member
Buttermilk Brown

I've spent some time in paris tn....never got to see buttermilk brown play but plenty of people have told me stories.....do we know each other? Pm me:confused:

Wow, Buttermilk Brown, it's been almost 30 years since I heard that name...I played him at an old poor room in Tenn. back when I was 17 or 18...that brings back memories :smile:

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
When you watch a player play a great match and you learned a lot from watching the match. Who was the player that you learned the most from watching them play a match? Did I say that right? Thanks for your input. Which player do you like to watch the most?
Many Regards,
Lock N Load.

Not even close. Efren Reyes. Of the Americans, it's close between Nick Varner, Mike Sigel, and Irving Crane, but Efren revolutionized the game. When Efren looked over a pool table, he saw things that no other player had ever seen. Of the Europeans, it's Ralf Souquet.

cuesblues

cue accumulator
Silver Member
I watched Efren make a ridiculous cut shot up the long rail one time, and after some practice shooting it just like Efren,
I was able to make the shot.
The ball was not frozen and he didn't use any english.
I've told people to watch certain women pro's, because overall I think they have better basic fundamentals.

naji

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Let's not forget: "In My Opinion." :wink:
Grady Mathews gave my my first 10 min lesson back in the 80's, and lately i am amazed by Dennis O and Darren A, Lo win style of play, as well as Alex P all great shot makers. In one pocket, Efren and Shannon D. Steve Davis snooker legend, 1st game i played back in the 70's.

8ballEinstein

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Swanee

I've learned from plenty of players over the last 30+ years in this game - amatuers, pros, men, women, from informal instruction and from just plain ole observation. To pick out one out of hundreds of players is a tall order for me. But, after much thought on this, I think Jay "Swanee" Swanson wins out. Unfortunately, what I learned is that I can't duplicate his accurate, silky smooth stroke - and neither can almost everyone else who's tried. The lesson here is that I've got to learn to live on a lower plane. But there were loads of other things I picked up from him.

Realize, there are loads other players that would come in a close 2nd, 3rd, 4th, on down to 1489th.

stick8

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
player

With out a doubt---BUDDY HALL- he is so easy to watch and understand his movements, and shots!!!
:grin:

Chip Roberson

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I was just coming out on the road back in the mid seventies and was winning pretty good--was calling Greensboro NC home and leaving and traveling around and coming back to NC. Good freind of mine introduced me to Wade Crane--Billy J--that turned my game into another level--first time I ever saw anyone run our entire sessions--

Denny Searcy was a great player--I was with Billy in Charlotte when Denny had the bookie backing him--Denny beat Billy both times we went down there to play. Billy was great, but he had his hands full with Denny on Denny's home table.

Last edited:

miscrewed1989

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Vernon...

Howard Barrett. I watched that old man play in the Weekly $5 9-ball event in his 80's sometimes wheeling around oxygen. What I learned from him was his never give up attitude. 80+ years young and still cashing in the tourneys and they weren't handicapped tourneys either.

Howard would also sweat one hole matches with me and tell me what moves and shots the players would take before they took them. He taught me a lot about the game and myself and I miss him dearly.

Wow! Didn't expect to see Howard Barrett's name on here! When he was in Chattanooga and I had just picked up a "pool-stick," he certainly showed me a few things and seemed to enjoy doing it. He always treated me with respect even though I was just a dumb kid. I can say without a doubt Howard helped light the fire under my ass to really WANT to play and play well!
Later it was Vernon Elliott who really opened my eyes to what could be done on a pool table. He watched me play a match against Rafael Martinez. After the match he pulled me aside, asked my name, and told me I played with more heart than anyone he had seen. He spent the next couple hours showing me some things on a gameroom pooltable with nobody around but the kid behind the counter. When he finished with me he made me promise not to tell anyone he had done that for me adding that he would have me killed if I told. That was the biggest and quickest improvement I have experienced thus far! For that, I am very, very grateful to him. May he rest in peace!
These days, I like Scott Frost's style of 1 pocket, and Alex Pagulayan's rotation. Their demeanor while playing is also a great reason I enjoy watching them. There are lots of great players, but bad etquette and demeanor cause me to lose interest.

Lock N Load

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I watched Efren make a ridiculous cut shot up the long rail one time, and after some practice shooting it just like Efren,
I was able to make the shot.
The ball was not frozen and he didn't use any english.
I've told people to watch certain women pro's, because overall I think they have better basic fundamentals.

Efren is someone to watch and learn from, for sure. I watch his video's a lot.
Many Regards,
Lock N Load.

Lock N Load

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
With out a doubt---BUDDY HALL- he is so easy to watch and understand his movements, and shots!!!
:grin:

You are certainly right about Buddy Hall. He is a good person to know off the table as well.
Many Regards,
Lock N Load.