Who were/was the first European player(s) to make huge international waves?

Positively Ralf

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
We always talk about the Philipino invasion and how guys like Efren, Bustamante, Parica and Alcano came over and were doing amazing. I know, and from watching, early mosconi videos that there were still predominantly snooker players playing in the event with pool players like Tom Storm in the fray.

But who were the first big time European players to come over and show that Europe was here to play with the big boys of America and the Philippines? Was it a wave of players or was it one at the beginning who opened the door for many more to come?

telinoz

Registered
Oliver Ortman, Ralf Souquet won World 9 Ball in 1995 and 1996 respectively.

Early 2000's is when Mika Immonen, Thorsten Hohmann made their marks.

Asian and European players dominated since 2003, with the only American being Shane Van Boening to win World 9 Ball in 2022 (20 years since Earl Strickland).

telinoz

Registered
Mary queen of Scots.
She was rather good!

mary_queen_of_scots_billiards_player.png

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
Ortmann and Souquet were the trailblazers, the only ones who made real waves before1995. Then came Immonen, Lely, Feijen, and Chamat, all of whom came to America in the late 1990s.

In women's pool, Ewa Mataya was here in the 1980's, followed by Gerda Hofstatter in 1992, and Helena Thornfeldt and Allison Fisher by the mid-1990s.

skogstokig

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
ortmann for sure. swedish player tom storm was over before ortmann, in the 80's i think, but i assume this was more for action. i don't know much about it, would be cool if anyone did

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
On the tournament scene Oliver came first, followed closely by Ralf. The first successful European money player was Steve Knight (may he rest in peace) who blazed a trail along the East coast in the 1990’s beating everyone in his path. He won over 60K on his extended vacation here.

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
On the tournament scene Oliver came first, followed closely by Ralf. The first successful European money player was Steve Knight (may he rest in peace) who blazed a trail along the East coast in the 1990’s beating everyone in his path. He won over 60K on his extended vacation here.
SK came to tulsa one yr for a camel event. guy could flat play. he'd bet with both hands and back it up on the table.

Chip Roberson

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I know the post is about European players , but the following Gent played extremely well also and made his bones here.

poolnut7879

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
We always talk about the Philipino invasion and how guys like Efren, Bustamante, Parica and Alcano came over and were doing amazing. I know, and from watching, early mosconi videos that there were still predominantly snooker players playing in the event with pool players like Tom Storm in the fray.

But who were the first big time European players to come over and show that Europe was here to play with the big boys of America and the Philippines? Was it a wave of players or was it one at the beginning who opened the door for many more to come?
Can not forget Leonardo Andam as part of the Filipino invasion. Many players from Philippines came before Alcano. Santos, Marlon, Edgar Acaba, Luat, Gallego, and Lining just to name few.

Dan_B

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
I'm surprised not seeing Ronnie O'Sullivan having made a mark, leaving the mark and the current mark up at #1.

hang-the-9

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I did a post on the US Open winners, first player outside of the US and Philippines to get 2nd was in 2000, first winner from Europe was in 2002, Ralf.