Whos the best playing instructor?

Roger Long

Sonoran Cue Creations
Silver Member
Roger...Yeah, except for the part about players/instructors not wanting to "post up" and gamble, to "prove" their skill. The real truth is that there is a huge majority of poolplayers and instructors, who 1) don't think gambling provides a positive image for the sport; or 2) just aren't into gambling. I have offered many times (and then gone ahead and done it) to kick somebody's a$$ on the table for free. Most decline (usually saying something like, "I don't play for nuthin'!")...just sayin'!

Scott Lee
http://poolknowledge.com

I can't disagree with you there, Scott. The part where Joey said, "and when it is all said and done there will be no tournament for instructors" is what I took as the main point in his post. And I agree with that.

Roger

sammmy

Banned
if you were a boxer who would you rather have Freddie Roach or any world champion train you? im going with Freddie roach or the guy from detroit, i forget his name?

Scott Lee

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Roger...and like I said, we already had one this year, at the only event where professional instructors have an opportunity (some might call it an obligation) to get together, once a year, for extended learning and discussion.

Scott Lee
http://poolknowledge.com

I can't disagree with you there, Scott. The part where Joey said, "and when it is all said and done there will be no tournament for instructors" is what I took as the main point in his post. And I agree with that.

Roger

CJ Wiley

ESPN WORLD OPEN CHAMPION
Gold Member
Silver Member
my game has improved so much just by talking to players like Hunter Lombardo

Yep! I've been working with this technique for a few weeks now, and put it to work in the PanCyprian Cup competition here in Cyprus (kind of an 8 ball league that feeds into the EURO Tour). Last night I won my second consecutive match (in a dominating fashion, blanking my opponents both times). I continued to play all comers after the match for the next 3 1/2 hours...didn't drop a single game. The jump in my game is nothing short of scary. The difference in (a) confidence/consistency in shot making and (b) the absolute control over the cue ball is remarkable. Every time I was forced to use a little outside spin to flatten out off the rail or move the cueball I shocked myself at how out of control that feels now. I can't believe I spent over 25 years relying on spin so much. Results may vary (but I'm definitely happy!).:grin:

Yes, the "Touch" of Inside is an incredible technique. Spinning the ball is ok if you have to (you just have to make a lot more judgements and allowances) ... However, learning how to deflect the ball accurately to create a bigger "Pocket Zone" is a HUGE advantage in developing your touch, feel, and "pocket sense".

After being on this forum for a few weeks my game has improved so much just by talking to players like Hunter Lombardo, who's one of the best professional instuctors working with pros now...I hope he gets involved on the Forum soon.

Between Face Book and azbilliards it's now possible to reach so many players (70k) that want to learn and improve their games. And it's all absolutely FREE. 'The Game is the Teacher'

I have been following for while now...why does this inside technique make for better cue ball control? i think you can use this 3 pocket zone with any system if you tweak it a bit.

KRJ

Support UKRAINE
Silver Member
Yes, it does matter which instructor plays the best.

Just like it matters which instructor teaches the best.

Personally, I don't consider ANYONE an instructor unless they make the majority of their living from "instructing". :cool:

You know I agree with you most of the time Joey....

But geez, pool is and has been for quite some time a fringe sport. Heck, there are baseball instructors everywhere.

My kid goes to a pitching coach at the local batting cages. The instructor is a former college player,and gives pitching lessons on the weekends, and at night. Full-time or part-time? I could care less. Is my son progressing or not? That is the indicator for me.

But this little fringe sport we call pool you need to do it full time to teach??

But sorry, I'm not going to ever teach full-time, I'm not gonna give up a career that pays better than 98% of the pro pool players make playing pool... nor lose my house to teach full time in a fringe sport.

Heck, there only a handful of dudes that can do this full-time, and hats off to them cause they are doing something they love.

But full-time.... heck, pool just does not pay enough for even professional pool players to commit to this sport full time, let alone many instructors :)

CJ Wiley

ESPN WORLD OPEN CHAMPION
Gold Member
Silver Member
Play shape on every shot using the "Touch" of Inside and see for yourself

I have been following for while now...why does this inside technique make for better cue ball control? i think you can use this 3 pocket zone with any system if you tweak it a bit.

It gives you a wider range of things you can do with the Cue Ball following natural angles. Spin changes the natural angles to the point where you lose touch with what they really are.

I suggest playing for 3 straight hours using the "touch" of inside (cue it to the inside, but DO NOT spin it) on EVERY SHOT. A good drill for this is to just break and take ball in hand playing 9 Ball.

Play shape on every shot using the "Touch" of Inside and see for yourself how many shots you can make and play shape WITHOUT using spin. It's really Amazing, but you will Never know unless you try this drill and STICK TO IT for 3 hours.

You will also see how well you can "Stun" the cue ball and the way Efen plays will start to make sense on a whole other level. The "No Spin" can't be done using low center, it must be done with a touch of inside and you can use low/middle/high, but LOW/INSIDE is the one you will learn to prefer. imho

This technique seems like it will make for fuller hits on the ball? i am guessing i would be muscleling the ball around the table more? Now using this technique would i be using more tops on the ball?

maxeberle

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
if you were a boxer who would you rather have Freddie Roach or any world champion train you? im going with Freddie roach or the guy from detroit, i forget his name?

I've had the pleasure of knowing Freddie Roach for several years, very nice and interesting guy. Great boxing coach! Funny guy.

I love his motto at the Wild Card Gym in Hollywood, CA...

"It Ain't Easy"

He helped me have Manny sponsor me to the Philippines to play in the World 9-Ball Championship qualifiers... I was one 9-ball away from getting in, great trip though. Thanks Freddie and Manny :)

Slasher

KE = 0.5 • m • v2
Silver Member
I don't think top players always make top coaches.
A player may have certain idiosyncrasy's in his execution that he is not aware of and then compensates for and may then pass on these methods to the student. I have seen this when over the years I have been asked for help by a learner only to find they have been given some questionable advice from a really good player.

CJ Wiley

ESPN WORLD OPEN CHAMPION
Gold Member
Silver Member
Thanks Freddie and Manny

I've had the pleasure of knowing Freddie Roach for several years, very nice and interesting guy. Great boxing coach! Funny guy.

I love his motto at the Wild Card Gym in Hollywood, CA...

"It Ain't Easy"

He helped me have Manny sponsor me to the Philippines to play in the World 9-Ball Championship qualifiers... I was one 9-ball away from getting in, great trip though. Thanks Freddie and Manny :)

That's a great story, I had no idea you knew Freddie. And Manny's been great for pool through the years. Thanks for sharing that Max.
freddie_roach_shirt.jpg
Pool is very much like Boxing, but instead of flurries of punches you have flurries of shots, or at the upper level flurries of racks. Instead of hooks and jabs you have draws and stuns, instead of knock out punches, you have knock out breaks, instead of ducking and dodging you're kicking and playing safe, you don't lose blood but you do lose pride, instead of 15 rounds you must win 15 games.

9 Ball is the best TV Game, it's fast and easy to follow because there's always just one target for the fans to follow. Like Boxing there's a pre show of the brutal training the two players have to go through to compete. And of course the championship Belt. How many of you would like to see a pool match billed like a championship fight? I have a feeling we're going to have to incorporate some of these qualities to make it interesting in this "New Age of Pool". 'The Game is the Teacher'

Last edited:

sfleinen

14.1 & One Pocket Addict
Gold Member
Silver Member
[...]
9 Ball is the best TV Game, it's fast and easy to follow because there's always just one target for the fans to follow. Like Boxing there's a pre show of the brutal training the two players have to go through to compete. And of course the championship Belt. How many of you would like to see a pool match billed like a championship fight? I have a feeling we're going to have to incorporate some of these qualities to make it interesting in this "New Age of Pool". 'The Game is the Teacher'

Respectfully, I disagree, CJ. 9-ball had its time on the tube, and it didn't work. And believe me, the *gamut* had been tried, everything from remakes/rehashes of the glorification of gambling (e.g. PoolHall Junkies) to game shows (e.g. BallBreakers with Ewa Laurance). They all pretty much failed.

And 9-ball ISN'T "easy to follow" for your average TV viewer. Most of them understand "stripes and solids." Not, "shoot at the yellow ball, and then the blue ball, and then the red ball ...etc." The public doesn't understand that, because most often, they can't see the numbers on the balls and don't have the colors memorized. Unless they actually play 9-ball, they wouldn't -- and couldn't -- be expected to understand.

Sure, you and I (and the rest of the readership here -- us "pool nuts") totally think 9-ball is "simpleton pool" -- shoot at the lowest-numbered ball on the table. The problem is that we -- the pool nuts -- are so removed from reality, that we've lost focus of what the average Joe/Jane Doe know about this game of knocking balls into pockets.

Add to this the gumbo soup of rules that are affixed onto 9-ball to "fix" it (i.e. break within the box, 3 balls must pass the headstring, rack with the 9 on the spot [or not], no pattern racking, rack your own, neutral racker, etc.) and you've got a mess that the public has no hopes of recognizing.

Also, it'd been touched on that pool commentators -- as compared to their darts and snooker counterparts -- are very much lacking. While pool nuts appreciate the "side band" road stories, the average tube watcher is going to want to know what the game is, what the rules are, and what is going on at any given time in the match -- with some enthusiasm. To me, Sid Waddell (RIP) epitomized what pool needs to add that excitement and flair so often missing in pool commentary. This man made darts -- yes, pointy things flung at corkboards -- engaging to watch, nevermind snooker or pool.

It's going to take a heck of a lot more than "stick with 9-ball, folks -- it's an exciting game!" to right the viewership/popularity problems with pool. A HECK of a lot more. You have to first fight the battle with constant-head-down-thumb-twiddling on keypads that is ingrained in today's youth subconscious.

Try to compete with this:

attachment.php

9-ball ain't gonna do it.

-Sean

CJ Wiley

ESPN WORLD OPEN CHAMPION
Gold Member
Silver Member
Probably with a Documentary, Movie or Reality Show.

Add to this the gumbo soup of rules that are affixed onto 9-ball to "fix" it (i.e. break within the box, 3 balls must pass the headstring, rack with the 9 on the spot [or not], no pattern racking, rack your own, neutral racker, etc.) and you've got a mess that the public has no hopes of r]

9-ball ain't gonna do it.

-Sean[/QUOTE]

I can't either admit or deny your opinions because quite frankly no one knows. What I do know is pool is going to have it's time on TV again.

What game is it going to be and what are the details? Well, that remains to be seen because it will evolve like anything else on TV. I do believe that we MUST develop the characters FIRST before any pool game will receive great ratings. We got really good ratings in the 90's, but usually around one million households was average on ESPN.

Probably with a Documentary, Movie or Reality Show with some action, adventure, and sex appeal. That would be my best guess and I'm sticking to it. :wink: 'The Game is the Teacher'
1992_RealWorld-300x199.jpg

Last edited:

ENGLISH!

Banned
Silver Member
You know I agree with you most of the time Joey....

But geez, pool is and has been for quite some time a fringe sport. Heck, there are baseball instructors everywhere.

My kid goes to a pitching coach at the local batting cages. The instructor is a former college player,and gives pitching lessons on the weekends, and at night. Full-time or part-time? I could care less. Is my son progressing or not? That is the indicator for me.

But this little fringe sport we call pool you need to do it full time to teach??

But sorry, I'm not going to ever teach full-time, I'm not gonna give up a career that pays better than 98% of the pro pool players make playing pool... nor lose my house to teach full time in a fringe sport.

Heck, there only a handful of dudes that can do this full-time, and hats off to them cause they are doing something they love.

But full-time.... heck, pool just does not pay enough for even professional pool players to commit to this sport full time, let alone many instructors :)

Good points.

In my 46 yrs. I've helped (taught/instructed) many a person.

Best Regards,

Rick

CJ Wiley

ESPN WORLD OPEN CHAMPION
Gold Member
Silver Member
these addional rules in 9 Ball would improve the overall game

9-ball is the way to go for TV. Texas Express rules of course...

I believe these addional rules in 9 Ball would improve the overall game:

1) Call shots, and allow one "two way shot" a game
2) Incoming player has the option to pass the shot, except on a safety
3) One "two way safety" a game - you can call one shot and a safe at the same time. This way you could call a bank, and a safe AND play shape on your next shot. This is an important, skillful shot in 9 Ball.

I also like the idea of just using one cue to play the whole match too, but this isn't as important as these rules.

I'm also looking forward to hearing from the pro players how they liked the breaking situation at the US OPEN breaking from the "box".

Ratta

Hearing the balls.....
Silver Member
Well,

now that all went offtopic here (even if the main topic makes no sense to me^^), my personal opinion to towards the latest postings:

I agree very much with Earl- he let out some interesting thoughts while he was here in germany. He gave a wonderful interview where he said what he would like to have in the professional world:

Professionals on 10 ft tables
- agree 100% - the better player (pro) would always have an advantage. And the chance, that a pro (who would also have to live from pool) would loose against a intermediate player who has a good day would be very small. 9 ball for example is far too easy nowadays. If i see here in league games, that players in the lower division make 3-4 or 5 packs-- why a professional match just goes to 7, 9 or 11? That s a joke! 15 or 21 in a 9ball match, winnerbreak--that would still be interesting because longer runout-series still possible. Rules as they are-and on a 10footer. That s challenging imo.

The material on pool tables had been always struggling. The table manufactures are doing in my opinion not a good job. Heated tables are a must also in my opinion. Also here i agree with Earl. Every 7th class carom league is playing on better tables then higher classed pool players. That s just sad.

Much better material- more challenging tables for the professionals. That would be already a big step.

TheThaiger

Banned
Probably with a Documentary, Movie or Reality Show with some action, adventure, and sex appeal.

How about a Spinal Tap style 'mockumentary', where the cameras follow a banger living his dream of becoming a very minor champion, and failing dismally.

I would stick to either straight documentary or spoof documentary over feel good sports movie or contrived reality show.

TheThaiger

Banned
I believe these addional rules in 9 Ball would improve the overall game:

1) Call shots, and allow one "two way shot" a game
2) Incoming player has the option to pass the shot, except on a safety
3) One "two way safety" a game - you can call one shot and a safe at the same time. This way you could call a bank, and a safe AND play shape on your next shot. This is an important, skillful shot in 9 Ball.

They're fine, but isn't general opinion 9 ball is too complicated for the viewing public as it is? There's no way they're going to understand those - even I'm not sure about the full implications of number 3.