Whos the best playing instructor?

bbb

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
im sorry i didnt follow this thread:embarrassed2::embarrassed2::embarrassed2:
but was there a concensus on a top 5 list of best playing instructors??
if so who are they??

West Point 1987

On the Hill, Out of Gas
Silver Member
How about a Spinal Tap style 'mockumentary', where the cameras follow a banger living his dream of becoming a very minor champion, and failing dismally.

I would stick to either straight documentary or spoof documentary over feel good sports movie or contrived reality show.

And we have a winner, folks! Spoof documentary would rock...Get all the top players to play themselves at a major open event that the main character actually thinks he has a shot at (having sacrificed everything to attend, telling his wife and boss to "f-off" he's living the dream) then goes two and out in a horrible display and rationalizes in a philosophical rant about the journey being worth more than the destination, and how he's going to win it all next week in Reno...). :cool:

randyg

www.randygpool.com
Silver Member
im sorry i didnt follow this thread:embarrassed2::embarrassed2::embarrassed2:
but was there a concensus on a top 5 list of best playing instructors??
if so who are they??

No, not yet. First we have to decide on the definition of an "instructor".
randyg

TheThaiger

Banned
And we have a winner, folks! Spoof documentary would rock...Get all the top players to play themselves at a major open event that the main character actually thinks he has a shot at (having sacrificed everything to attend, telling his wife and boss to "f-off" he's living the dream) then goes two and out in a horrible display and rationalizes in a philosophical rant about the journey being worth more than the destination, and how he's going to win it all next week in Reno...). :cool:

I know bangers who genuinely think they're going to win every tournament they enter, then come up with a long list of excuses for why they didn't - had a bad dream the night before, a bit hungry, someone in the crowd distracted them, a kick or an unlucky roll. All 'dog ate my homework' type stuff. There's only one reason you lose 9-2 every time.

I was thinking of that level of self-delusion. But, yes, next week will always be different, as will next cue, next chalk, next lesson, next practice session et cetera.

JoeyA

Efren's Mini-Tourn BACKER
Silver Member
What constitutes an instructor?

I've been thinking about this and I believe that an instructor must be a paid instructor. The instructor doesn't have to make their living doing it but they have to have been paid by students for lessons.

Just having a pool instructional DVD doesn't cut it. Being a professional pool player doesn't make you an instructor, nor does having a PHD in engineering make you an instructor. Also, there are only a few pool instructors world-wide who make their living teaching students.

So while it is only my opinion, I think a pool instructor must have been paid by students for the lessons provided. I'm not talking about being paid with a coke and burger either.

While this opens the field up pretty good, it isn't practical to eliminate so many "instructors" by limiting it to just a few. The truth is there are many instructors who give freely of their time to deserving individuals and my hat is off to them. But for the sake of not including every person who has given some free advice, I am thinking that an "instructor" must be paid in cash for pool instruction. It doesn't have to be every week or every month but they must have been paid for their services with real money for their pool instruction.

I'm sure some of you may have other opinions about this (and that's cool) but this is my opinion. I was just thinking that while it is nice of people to give of their time; if an individual is willing to pay for your instruction then that is what qualifies you as an instructor.

Island Drive

Otto/Dads College Roommate/Cleveland Browns
Silver Member
I've been thinking about this and I believe that an instructor must be a paid instructor. The instructor doesn't have to make their living doing it but they have to have been paid by students for lessons.

Just having a pool instructional DVD doesn't cut it. Being a professional pool player doesn't make you an instructor, nor does having a PHD in engineering make you an instructor. Also, there are only a few pool instructors world-wide who make their living teaching students.

So while it is only my opinion, I think a pool instructor must have been paid by students for the lessons provided. I'm not talking about being paid with a coke and burger either.

While this opens the field up pretty good, it isn't practical to eliminate so many "instructors" by limiting it to just a few. The truth is there are many instructors who give freely of their time to deserving individuals and my hat is off to them. But for the sake of not including every person who has given some free advice, I am thinking that an "instructor" must be paid in cash for pool instruction. It doesn't have to be every week or every month but they must have been paid for their services with real money for their pool instruction.

I'm sure some of you may have other opinions about this (and that's cool) but this is my opinion. I was just thinking that while it is nice of people to give of their time; if an individual is willing to pay for your instruction then that is what qualifies you as an instructor.

They learn quicker when they pay. Free advice in pool to many has little value, and if they are not paying for, they probably don't Want Help anyway.

backplaying

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I believe that many can teach a beginner many things, but I don't believe a B player can teach a A player or higher how to get to another level. I'm not talking about fundamentals. I have seen many A players that didn't play the correct pattern on many shots, and it was the main reason they didn't make a jump, and this can only be taught by people with that knowledge. Many could teach the basic's better than I could, but if the best they ever played was at a low A level, then it would take someone who played at a higher level to help them make a jump. I also know for a fact that reguardless of lessons there are some who will never improve above a certain level because of lack of natural ability. Can anyone think of another game or sport besides pool where you have people who never played at a high level give lessons for a living?

Tony_in_MD

You want some of this?
Silver Member
Golf = Butch Harmon

I believe that many can teach a beginner many things, but I don't believe a B player can teach a A player or higher how to get to another level. I'm not talking about fundamentals. I have seen many A players that didn't play the correct pattern on many shots, and it was the main reason they didn't make a jump, and this can only be taught by people with that knowledge. Many could teach the basic's better than I could, but if the best they ever played was at a low A level, then it would take someone who played at a higher level to help them make a jump. I also know for a fact that reguardless of lessons there are some who will never improve above a certain level because of lack of natural ability. Can anyone think of another game or sport besides pool where you have people who never played at a high level give lessons for a living?

randyg

www.randygpool.com
Silver Member

Sure. Let's start with Golf.

randyg

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member

I can't seem to find anything about this man as a boxer, but he sure got
acclaim as a trainer and teacher. He knew things that boxers needed to
know.
Danny Diliberto's first fight...he was fighting a man that he had no chance
with..his driver told him to stay down when he got hit bad...Danny knocked the guy out...the driver phoned Angelo...Angelo asked "What
round did he knock him out in?"
Angelo Dundee knew things that world champions didn't.

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=...QtSuzsRD3-36O-EaA&sig2=nXhLgq6bxVlehjj4s3a0Ag

A good teacher is a good teacher.......

Roger Long

Sonoran Cue Creations
Silver Member

backplaying: Are you an A player? If not, how would you know that you "have seen many A players that didn't play the correct pattern on many shots?" And if you are an A player, what makes you think that those other A players should have played the same patterns as yourself? If there is such a thing as "correct" patterns for all players and all games, then either those A players weren't real A players to begin with, or you mistakenly identified them as such.

Who sets the guidelines in defining players as A, B, C, or D; plus, all of the subdivisions contained therein? Our sport has never had a unified organization that can do all that, because all people involved cannot agree on the definitions to be used. So how is it that we are all supposed to be able to define who is qualified to teach who, what? How are we supposed to be able to identify the best instructor, the best player, the best instructor/player? Hold a tournament? Yeah, that should settle it. :rolleyes:

Roger

Roger Long

Sonoran Cue Creations
Silver Member
I am thinking that an "instructor" must be paid in cash for pool instruction. It doesn't have to be every week or every month but they must have been paid for their services with real money for their pool instruction.

Yep, and today is another one of those days! :grin:

Roger

peteypooldude

I see Edges
Silver Member
No, not yet. First we have to decide on the definition of an "instructor".
randyg

My opinion of the definition "instructor" would be ... A person PAID to teach and instruct x amount of times per year. His credentials would be his students . A good example would be Stan Shuffett, Ekkes and Gene A
And of course Randy. Never heard a bad word about him

Scott Lee

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
pt109...Another boxing trainer, Emmanuel Steward, trained many champions in Detroit, at the famous Kronk Gym, including world champion Tommy Hearns. Steward was never a champion boxer himself, but knew what MADE champions. Sadly, he passed away late last week (from colon cancer), and the fate of his famous gym is uncertain at this time.

Scott Lee
http://poolknowledge.com

I can't seem to find anything about this man as a boxer, but he sure got
acclaim as a trainer and teacher. He knew things that boxers needed to
know.
Danny Diliberto's first fight...he was fighting a man that he had no chance
with..his driver told him to stay down when he got hit bad...Danny knocked the guy out...the driver phoned Angelo...Angelo asked "What
round did he knock him out in?"
Angelo Dundee knew things that world champions didn't.

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=...QtSuzsRD3-36O-EaA&sig2=nXhLgq6bxVlehjj4s3a0Ag

A good teacher is a good teacher.......

Scott Lee

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
peteypooldude...Like it or not, you would have to include me in that "group"!

Scott Lee

My opinion of the definition "instructor" would be ... A person PAID to teach and instruct x amount of times per year. His credentials would be his students . A good example would be Stan Shuffett, Ekkes and Gene A
And of course Randy. Never heard a bad word about him

Scott Lee

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Roger...+1 Tap, tap, tap! Spot on post, as usual.

Scott Lee

backplaying: Are you an A player? If not, how would you know that you "have seen many A players that didn't play the correct pattern on many shots?" And if you are an A player, what makes you think that those other A players should have played the same patterns as yourself? If there is such a thing as "correct" patterns for all players and all games, then either those A players weren't real A players to begin with, or you mistakenly identified them as such.

Who sets the guidelines in defining players as A, B, C, or D; plus, all of the subdivisions contained therein? Our sport has never had a unified organization that can do all that, because all people involved cannot agree on the definitions to be used. So how is it that we are all supposed to be able to define who is qualified to teach who, what? How are we supposed to be able to identify the best instructor, the best player, the best instructor/player? Hold a tournament? Yeah, that should settle it. :rolleyes:

Roger

KRJ

Support UKRAINE
Silver Member

OK, now you're getting there :) Also, how about some formal training as well.... unless you have ever been considered a 'pro" player or bonadfide road player... using Freddy the Beard as an example,,, then I would think some formal training would have to be included at some point as well for the "non pro/road player"....

So either you took lessons from an actual instructor, or you took an instructor type course, or you got certified somehow, and as Joey said, folks PAY you for lessons. That should open up the field but also close it down to those with a buddy that helps with them after league night is over....

So, let the games begin :)

KRJ

Support UKRAINE
Silver Member
Interesting article :)

Like any longtime head coach, Indiana's Tom Crean rarely takes it personally when a recruit shuns his program for another school.

Tom Crean's playing career didn't extend beyond high school ball but that hasn't prevented him from reaching the upper echelon of the coaching ranks.

But on one occasion, he couldn't help himself.

More than 10 years ago, when Crean was at Marquette, a prospect informed the coach that he would be signing elsewhere because he wanted to learn from someone "who had actually played the game."

Crean's on-court career didn't extend past high school.

"I took it as a slight," Crean said. "It motivated me. I told him, 'You do what you want, but when we play you, make sure you pay attention to the double-teams we put in place to keep you from scoring.'

"The kid redshirted his first year and hardly played the year after that. He eventually became a decent player, but we won a lot more against his team than we lost. I think I made my point."

Last edited: