Why are Tim Scruggs cues so hot now?

he made great hitting cues that looks good at a decent price.i think the guys who are selling theirs now will be on az in 2 to 5 years trying to buy one back,or just regreting selling.if u have one kept if you can. the value is just gonna 2 kept going up&up
 
he made great hitting cues that looks good at a decent price.i think the guys who are selling theirs now will be on az in 2 to 5 years trying to buy one back,or just regreting selling.if u have one kept if you can. the value is just gonna 2 kept going up&up
I agree 100%.
 
Why did Tim retire?

1. Tim is one of the best makers in the world.
2. Tim no longer makes cues.
3. Mike Cochran (his assistant) who assisted in making Scruggs cues passed away.

There was a post some time ago that said Tim lost his hand in an accident.
True?

Donny L
PBIA/ACS Instructor
 
I'm kind of lost with your description, for me a great (Hot) cue is a cue rarely seen for sale... I always see Scruggs for sale, if a cue is so great and also no longer being made... Well why would so many be for sale??? IDK this is just my view on the subject.

haha, that's a pretty good point. But playing devil's advocate... with a not-so-hot cue, you usually can't resell it for more than you paid, so it's kind of a waste to sell it at all.

But with a truly good cue, you can usually sell it for more than you paid, so that adds some incentive to sell a cue you might otherwise consider keeping. It's free money if you're knowledeable about cues and what they typically go for.
 
There will always be TS cues out there to buy. I don't see them going up due to collectibility. Inflation yes. Maybe the true one of a knd beauties that came out. But they are few and far between. The plain widows, sneakies and 4 pointers I think they have peaked. Just too many out there. Great cues, but I wouldnt call them investment cues. I had quite a few TS cues and only regret selling one. Great players. Just not worth what some people think they are.
 
tim scruggs is still making cues i talked too a couple of months ago cause he is going too make me a new one

Oh really...Nick hasn't told us anything about this

Please post pics in the gallery when you get it...thanks!
 
Scruggs cues have an established reputation. Like someone said here already, they were popular from Maine to N. Carolina during a period in time. That is a good segment of the population in general which will correlate to pool as well.

Aside from demographics, Scruggs cues have a reputation for a good-stiff hit. My belief is this comes from the many Ivory and Stainless steel joint cues he made. This was no accident; there is a whole crowd of Pool Players that like a stiff hitting cue. They are also very reluctant to play with anything else.
So in short you have a cue-maker fulfilling the needs of a dedicated segment of the pool playing public in a relatively dense section of the US population.

The fact that he no longer makes cues, and that his understudy has passed away means the supply of these type of cues are limited.

Scruggs cues will always hold value at the very least if not appreciate in value over time.
 
just as everyone else has said. there are plenty of factors that make them sought after. its nothing recent, always been in high demand. i wish i'd never lent my TS to a friend. ended up getting stolen the minute he put it down and haven't seen it since =\ the one that got (taken) away, sad times. Enjoy yours though :)
 
Tim the legend

Tim is a legend. His cues will always be sought after.

I agree.

He is also a very nice fella. He sponsored our team out of Rockville at the BCA nationals in '93. In '95, when I had my cue stolen, Tim loaned me a new cue to take to Vegas. I would have bought the cue, but I had just lost my job at Champion Billiards (a very interesting story in itself), so I couldn't afford a new cue.
 
last year or the year before
az voted on best hitting cues
southwest,schon,and scruggs were voted the top 3
in no particular order

now someone tells us they are nothing special

in some 50 years of playing all the top players,collecting and selling cues
and asking top players,it has always been understood that Tim was one of the very best
at making great playing cues

I know for sure that all of my Scruggs cues are sold because they were so desireable

A fella says if they were any good they would never be for sale,I can see no logic in that statement.These Scruggs cues along with South West,Balabushka, and several others including Szamboti are always for sale,but also being bought because they are
so sought after just because they play so good
 
Back
Top