Why Did They Settle On Maple?

greyghost

Coast to Coast
Silver Member
Wrong........I said simple answer. And i am not looking for your terms . It's not my conclusion it's a simple proven scientific fact . Your trying to sound like some kind of genius,,,,,,,,but coming off as bozo the clown . Go rupture your elasticity and check out facts !!

And that's just it it's not a simple answer unless you just say well we got a ****load of maple in the us and it just works good.

Just because you don't know shit, doesn't mean I'm trying to go over anyone's head here. We have been through such conversations many many times here. Read and search. It might help you some

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

336Robin

Multiverse Operative
Silver Member
So Mr. Bonds thread regarding the Rambow peaked my curiosity, with all the different types of woods available why did everyone settle on maple and the snooker guys using ash?

Maybe someones Ash was jealous? lol

trophycue

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It's common cue guy lingo....sorry sweetheart.

Regardless maple is by no means the most shock absorbing wood. If shock absorbance was the tits in cues we would be fuggin corking them instead of coring.

If shock absorbance was the top reason we also wouldn't see all these cues made out of maple and a harder exotic behind it. They would all be m

Funny......I've sold lots of wood to top cue builders,,,,,,,and not once did they ask about the elasticity or rupture factor of the wood,,,,,,,,,lmfao !!

JoeyInCali

Maker of Joey Bautista Cues
Silver Member
The very simple answer is , maple and ash are the most shock absorbent woods . Ash being slightly more so. And yes North American ash is prized in Europe.

More shock absorbing than holly ? Big leaf maple ?

Shock absorption is not even a criteria we use when picking shafts .
Usually, the higher the pitch, the more desired.
Or the more dense one ( at a point ).

greyghost

Coast to Coast
Silver Member
Funny......I've sold lots of wood to top cue builders,,,,,,,and not once did they ask about the elasticity or rupture factor of the wood,,,,,,,,,lmfao !!

Why would they to begin with....keyword...cue builder.

It’s not like purveyors of wood batch test their product per tree and give buyers data. Charts and data compiled decades ago. So why again would anyone ask the board slinger?

Then there’s just going by the status quo.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

greyghost

Coast to Coast
Silver Member

Shock absorption not a criteria? 🤦*♂️

Damed you say!?!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

trophycue

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Ash is the most shock absorbent wood.......and that is why snooker players like it, more than holly,,,,YES!,,,,,more than big leaf maple YES!! Maple is a li'l farther down the line on shock absorbing, but hits crisper, north americans like it. And a hand full of snooker players. If you want a higher pitch or more dense, why don't you use oak, hickory, ironwood..........No shock cushion to the wood. You don't have to consider it as a criteria , because the original cue builders did all the research, and found the best wood for shafts . So much for the basic answer the OP was looking for......lol.

JoeyInCali

Silver Member
Ash is the most shock absorbent wood.......and that is why snooker players like it, more than holly,,,,YES!,,,,,more than big leaf maple YES!! Maple is a li'l farther down the line on shock absorbing, but hits crisper, north americans like it. And a hand full of snooker players. If you want a higher pitch or more dense, why don't you use oak, hickory, ironwood..........No shock cushion to the wood. You don't have to consider it as a criteria , because the original cue builders did all the research, and found the best wood for shafts . So much for the basic answer the OP was looking for......lol.

Are those woods as stable as maple ?
Never mind the cosmetics .
Ironwood would be too heavy and too stiff. Will have too much cue ball squirt. Never mind the cost . That one is just ridiculous.
Oak? Oak is used as shafts by some. Again, too rough and not very pretty.
Hickory? Heavier and more porous. More tear-out when cutting.
If the early makers like more absorbing wood, that does not explain popularity of ivory ferrule.

Maple is just the right sauce for pool.
Good tonal wood. Relatively stable. The right weight and stiffness.
And very plentiful.
No other wood can replace it.

Last edited:

qbilder

slower than snails
Silver Member
If shock absorption or resistance were criteria that mattered much, we'd be using elm. Maple has the harmonics that give the cue a pleasing feel, sound, and action to the cue ball. Coincidentally, it's also the preferred material for stringed instruments around the world for much the same reason, minus the cue ball. Add to this a satin smooth texture and good stability, and you have a winner.

trophycue

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Are those woods as stable as maple ?
Never mind the cosmetics .
Ironwood would be too heavy and too stiff. Will have too much cue ball squirt. Never mind the cost . That one is just ridiculous.
Oak? Oak is used as shafts by some. Again, too rough and not very pretty.
Hickory? Heavier and more porous. More tear-out when cutting.
If the early makers like more absorbing wood, that does not explain popularity of ivory ferrule.

Maple is just the right sauce for pool.
Good tonal wood. Relatively stable. The right weight and stiffness.
And very plentiful.
No other wood can replace it.

)Pretty sure you just agreed with everything I said...........

alstl

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
So Mr. Bonds thread regarding the Rambow peaked my curiosity, with all the different types of woods available why did everyone settle on maple and the snooker guys using ash?

They settled on maple because plywood wasn't invented yet.

greyghost

Coast to Coast
Silver Member
)Pretty sure you just agreed with everything I said...........

8aadf3fe6c83d371019850b194296136.jpg

Roflmbo .

no

Mr. Bond

Orbis Non Sufficit
Gold Member
Silver Member
Osage Orange would probably be good for cues except that the tree naturally grows crooked more often than knot. Damn near impossible to find straight grain.

Yet another reason why maple is ideal, because of reliable straight grain wood. Hugely important in the prevention of warpage.

trophycue

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
If shock absorption or resistance were criteria that mattered much, we'd be using elm. Maple has the harmonics that give the cue a pleasing feel, sound, and action to the cue ball. Coincidentally, it's also the preferred material for stringed instruments around the world for much the same reason, minus the cue ball. Add to this a satin smooth texture and good stability, and you have a winner.

I understand you cut your own wood, which I have great respect for. As I have cut, sold and worked with all kinds of wood for over 30 yrs. IMHO......the harmonics, sound , feel , reaction , are in direct relation to the way the wood absorbs and reacts to the shock . Again, no disrespect meant, but if you said shock absorption doesn't matter much in this application{ when your driving the wood into a hard object} ,to someone who has actually studied the physics of wood , you'd be in for a hell of a discussion . Once again I say other woods were eliminated because they cannot absorb and transfer the shock the way maple and ash do .

JoeyInCali

Silver Member

Fender Guitars is a few miles from me here ( more inland ).
https://youtu.be/KHdQLaoDOoU?t=98
They sure have a ton of maple.

greyghost

Coast to Coast
Silver Member
I understand you cut your own wood, which I have great respect for. As I have cut, sold and worked with all kinds of wood for over 30 yrs. IMHO......the harmonics, sound , feel , reaction , are in direct relation to the way the wood absorbs and reacts to the shock . Again, no disrespect meant, but if you said shock absorption doesn't matter much in this application{ when your driving the wood into a hard object} ,to someone who has actually studied the physics of wood , you'd be in for a hell of a discussion . Once again I say other woods were eliminated because they cannot absorb and transfer the shock the way maple and ash do .

all goes back to density, porosity, elastic modulus etc

Taper effects the harmonics, density effects the tone/feel, reaction is elasticity....as well as end mass and to a degree taper.....diff woods in the back end move the nodal points, which again the taper can also influence.

A good maple Merry Widow usually has a little more meat on her behind so it can drive the ball better and not duct.

It looses energy via vibration easily because it's not that stiff/rigid, denser tone woods on the backend reduce this loss of energy by wave compression. Making the qualities of what a shaft can do and feel really variable and adjustable to customer liking, easier to accomplish. While keeping the actual shaft unchanged in design cue to cue so to speak.

mikethebike

Registered
Mr Rambow told me in 1965 Maple was used because of the consistent hardness of the grain.....he also said the exotic woods used in the butt prior to his patented internal balance system (that also centered the mass making a Rambow feel much lighter than it is.....I was just in Charleston having tips replace and the shop in Ladson guessed the weight at 14 or 15 when in fact it weighed in at 18.75) was how cues were balanced. Not nearly as good as his system.