Why is it called stacked leather wrap?

seymore15074

So what are you saying?
Silver Member
This is probably a dumb question, but I was just wondering what stacked leather wrap is. Why is it called stacked, and what is the difference between it and regular leather wrap? Just the texture?

desert1pocket

Registered Fish
Silver Member
A regular leather wrap is a large rectangular piece that has one seam. A Stacked leather wrap is a long thin strip of leather wrapped around and around the cue, "stacking" on top of itself, in the same manner that a linen wrap is applied.

seymore15074

So what are you saying?
Silver Member
desert1pocket said:
A regular leather wrap is a large rectangular piece that has one seam. A Stacked leather wrap is a long thin strip of leather wrapped around and around the cue, "stacking" on top of itself, in the same manner that a linen wrap is applied.

Ok, thanks! :)

steev

Lazy User
Silver Member
I think we should rename it from 'stacked leather' to 'shoelace'.

With the power of AZ we should be able to make everyone switch.

'shoelace wrap'...pass it on!

-s

CrownCityCorey

Sock it to 'em!
Silver Member
steev said:
I think we should rename it from 'stacked leather' to 'shoelace'.

With the power of AZ we should be able to make everyone switch.

'shoelace wrap'...pass it on!

-s

Ha, ha...shoelace...... :)

The "Stacked" name in Stacked Leather Wraps comes from the shoe and leather industry. For example, a "Stacked" heel is one where multiple pieces of leather are laminated on top of each other to acheive a desired thickness, then the material is shaped.

Stacked Leather is laminated before it is cut into the "shoelace". Also, stack wraps (abbrev.) are worked very differently than conventional leather wraps. Following the "winding", a stack wrap is sanded, burnished, dyed and buffed to match the cue on which it is put.

If anyone ever wanted to know how this process goes just email me and I'll send you the PDF instructions (it was too big to attach).

Hambone

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I always figured the name came from someone seeing a stacked leather knife handle. It looks similar but is made up of leather washers glued together.

Attachments

• stacked leather.jpg
    stacked leather.jpg
    8.4 KB · Views: 406

ragbug74

Next NYTimes Best-Seller!
Silver Member
I can't recall where I heard about it, but I've heard of a cue that had leather "washers" stacked on it for the wrap area, probably similar to the knife handle shown above. I would imagine it's a maintenance nightmare if you ever had to fix/replace the "wrap".

TATE

AzB Gold Mensch
Silver Member
seymore15074 said:
This is probably a dumb question, but I was just wondering what stacked leather wrap is. Why is it called stacked, and what is the difference between it and regular leather wrap? Just the texture?

Well, before Tiger invented their version, the term stacked leather referred to a technique where leather washers are cut from very thick hides, then stacked one upon the other on the handle, glued together then burnished. Imagine leather donuts. These fit on the handle tightly. Joe Porper was known for this. Problem is this technique could only be used in making a new cue, and any other jobs requied the handle to be cut. Tiger came along and improved the process, making it easier to apply and replace. This is, by far, my favorite wrap.

Chris

Roadie

Banned
Originally the "stack" leather wrap was composed of individual rings that were in fact stacked on the handle. This didn't work so well and was replaced by the leather strips. Tiger Products was instumental in the deveopment of both types by request of Creative Inventions.

Probably the best term would be a "leather lace wrap" as that is exactly what the wrap is comprised of now. Shoelace is incorrect as the pieces are too thin for shoelaces.

matcase

Blondie's #1 fan
Silver Member
Stacked leather really is a stack of leather washers over a core handle as in the knife handle above. Joe Porper has made several cues with this type of handle. Very cool in my opinion. Search for Porper cues or go to Randall knives web site.
CrownCityCorey explains the Tiger Products stack leather wrap very well.

ratcues

No yodeling, please.
Silver Member
I just put five on today. All different colors..... I'll get some pics tomorrow.

CrownCityCorey

Sock it to 'em!
Silver Member
TATE said:
Well, before Tiger invented their version, the term stacked leather referred to a technique where leather washers are cut from very thick hides, then stacked one upon the other on the handle, glued together then burnished. Imagine leather donuts. These fit on the handle tightly. Joe Porper was known for this. Problem is this technique could only be used in making a new cue, and any other jobs requied the handle to be cut. Tiger came along and improved the process, making it easier to apply and replace. This is, by far, my favorite wrap.

Chris

Little do folks know, that the Porper leather washer thing, was made by Tiger ;) .

jgpool

Cue ball draw with this?
Silver Member
Stacked?????

Would this be considered stacked? The Schmelke on the bottom.

Last edited:

CrownCityCorey

Sock it to 'em!
Silver Member
jgpool said:
Would this be considered stacked? The Schmelke on the bottom.

Nope. That looks like tennis handle grip tape. Or the stuff they use on 10-speed handlebars (I know, they are now called "Roadbikes").